PDA

View Full Version : Site Improvements

SanDiegoReefs
09-22-2011, 08:43 AM
So far I have on our plate or have received feedback on:

1> Stickers. PM'd a member, waiting for a response.

2> Trades & Services Section. Area where Premium Members can post about their current services, example: Electricians, etc.

3> Fix the Language Filters. Working on that in the meantime will be putting reasonable moderation in place and a new hands on approach. Want to maybe consider keeping the Lounge loose, but still wondering what that is.

4> Bring the Site to a Higher Standard. I remember going to pick up a fish one time and a man my age answered the door. He said hello, then shouted, "Johnny, the guy is here for the fish...". Then, a 12 year old kid came down the stairs. I went upstairs with him to his room where his little friends were playing Nintendo to get the fish. That was not only a hilarious situation, wierd in some way, but an eye opener that we have junior members and need to all remind ourselves of that with our posts.

5> More features for Premium Members. I am looking at stabilizing the hosting area and then looking at upgrades from the current version of forum software. Need to plan it out to avoid any unplanned outages. Have to look at trends and insure the bandwidth is never compromised along with storage, etc.

6> Lower the Annual Subscription Price. Just dropped the annual stakeholder investment to become a Premium member to $25 from $33. Thats around $2 a month or $.07 cents a day. Will be looking at lower rates if you sign up longer. Note whenever we make an adjustment, we will go through the subscriptions and make adjustments to prorate out accordingly.

7> Update the FAQs. Add "How to add a Signature", "using the CP Panel", "How to upgrade", etc

More? Positive ones please. Send me the negative ones via PM.

:coffee:

ensiferum321
09-22-2011, 08:45 AM
Sounds great so far, keep up the good work

How about Seller limits (such as must have "20" post/and or a user for atleast 60 days before selling?)

Get the arcade back!

BajaReefs
09-22-2011, 09:10 AM
interactive games within members....like poker

on #2 some people dont do favors or work for cash, some barter and maybe free. I can help out giving free diesel advise, where would I post free help? thanks

sushibug
09-22-2011, 09:11 AM
Sounds great so far, keep up the good work

How about Seller limits (such as must have "20" post/and or a user for atleast 60 days before selling?)

Get the arcade back!

i second the seller limit idea.. we all know we had issues with duplicate seller accounts.

also, don't know if it was said somewhere else... but can the avatars be more appropriate (higher standard?) so i don't get in trouble at work?

afitzwater
09-22-2011, 09:14 AM
nice work mike! keep it up and thank you

JohnnyAirtime
09-22-2011, 09:15 AM
Pet peeeeeves;
Ability to only post "WTB" in the 'wanted to buy' section. Not in the "For sale" section where it's mostly seen, or viewed. Basically, limit the sub-topic ability in each forum AND moderate it once limited. I see many that may not know of the other sections, but if they do... they are posting where it'll get the most attention.

Moderate "bumping";
Some do it multiple times in a day or even in an hour... some only once in a while. Put the rules out... either no bumping allowed (like most sites) and moderate it, or bumping a thread only allowed once a day (maximum!)... and moderate that rule. It's selfish to bump. People need to use the 'search' feature!

Just a thought;
Allow the sponsors of the site to post "for sale" items in a sponsor section "for sale" only, and not in the general for sale section. All too often I see a sponsor soliciting the for sale section with a new product they started to stock... and at times, most Reefers aren't looking for that. They know where to go buy "phyto" or pumps, or your local fish store "stuff". Keep the general for-sale section for NON-Sponsors... like a swap meet. And give the sponsors a place to post ads, and pimp their stores.
(one store owner already agreed that they should have their own place to post when I brought this up... they don't happen to pollute the general section too often)

ensiferum321
09-22-2011, 09:30 AM
Agree! I've seen a couple people bump threads within hours!

Pet peeeeeves;

Moderate "bumping";
Some do it multiple times in a day or even in an hour... some only once in a while. Put the rules out... either no bumping allowed (like most sites) and moderate it, or bumping a thread only allowed once a day (maximum!)... and moderate that rule. It's selfish to bump. People need to use the 'search' feature!

jrod11
09-22-2011, 09:32 AM
Trading system built INTO our profiles! Lets make feedback with trades and sales the real deal!!

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=102965

Acefspds
09-22-2011, 09:42 AM
Wat about the little guys that want to sell some corals? Are you gonna start hounding us for sponsorship fees like every other forum I quit going to since they all became about money and not the hobby.....gets kinda annoying when you post some stuff for sale and you get classes as a retail establishment even tho you have 2 tanks in your house and no business.

I also agree that the proper businesses post in their own section. So our for sale section isn't business owned.

And let's not forget about the drama! Lave it at the login screen!!! This is sdreefs... not sdcheaps, sdflakes, etc... I have heard a lot of bad comments about this site and it is one of my fav sites. I woud love to see this site come back to its glory days.

AFUreef
09-22-2011, 09:56 AM
I like the way this is gonna be going! Awesome keep up the good ideas and work! Thanks mike!!!

jrod11
09-22-2011, 09:59 AM
Also, can we change when a user exceeds their PMs that they can't recieve messages? I just had to create a thread to notify them. Seems a bit insane to have to jump through hoops like that. Maybe they cant send them, but they can receive them.

Waves in Glass
09-22-2011, 09:59 AM
Just a thought;
Allow the sponsors of the site to post "for sale" items in a sponsor section "for sale" only, and not in the general for sale section. All too often I see a sponsor soliciting the for sale section with a new product they started to stock... and at times, most Reefers aren't looking for that. They know where to go buy "phyto" or pumps, or your local fish store "stuff". Keep the general for-sale section for NON-Sponsors... like a swap meet. And give the sponsors a place to post ads, and pimp their stores.
(one store owner already agreed that they should have their own place to post when I brought this up... they don't happen to pollute the general section too often)

I dont want to start a debate on this only express that I disagree with this. Sponsors should be able to place items they have for sale in any for sale area that is appropriate. The sponsor area is for information that the sponsors want to pass out about their business.
I have placed some info of sale items in my personal area only to be told by many that they never saw the sale.
The reason is that they only go to the individual for sale livestock/equipment forums.
with that revelation sponsors would be restricted to their area and nobody would see what they have for sale. why sponsor in that case?
As long as the sale threads are reasonably managed their should not be an issue. That is for both sponsors and regular members.

bbandu
09-22-2011, 11:55 AM
I had some more ideas but most have been stated above, The only other thing I can suggest is that it be manditory that you properly fill out the location in your proflie, and not put something else.

I have seen alot of things that are posted and the first response post is "location". If this was listed in everyones profile then there would be no question as to the location of the item.

omrdloreyes
09-22-2011, 12:12 PM
As a user and a coustomer of LFS, I find it convinient to have lfs sale items along with everyone else's. I dont want to miss out on a sale of a lfs only because i forgot to check other forums. Thread's just need to be properly labeled, so one can easily filter out.

I dont want to start a debate on this only express that I disagree with this. Sponsors should be able to place items they have for sale in any for sale area that is appropriate. The sponsor area is for information that the sponsors want to pass out about their business.
I have placed some info of sale items in my personal area only to be told by many that they never saw the sale.
The reason is that they only go to the individual for sale livestock/equipment forums.
with that revelation sponsors would be restricted to their area and nobody would see what they have for sale. why sponsor in that case?
As long as the sale threads are reasonably managed their should not be an issue. That is for both sponsors and regular members.

bpro32
09-22-2011, 12:12 PM

I have held the same opinion as johnnyairtime but this is a compelling argument and I have to agree with you Larry.

ensiferum321
09-22-2011, 12:39 PM
I agree, maybe change the LFS/Sponsers threads heading to a different color , that way it can easily be spotted

As a user and a coustomer of LFS, I find it convinient to have lfs sale items along with everyone else's. I dont want to miss out on a sale of a lfs only because i forgot to check other forums. Thread's just need to be properly labeled, so one can easily filter out.

Two Bit Scooter
09-22-2011, 12:50 PM
I like, or maybe highlight/color the site sponsor's usernames in the search results listing.

AquaticLifeTropicals
09-22-2011, 01:25 PM

+2

Would be happy to have our own section.... if people actually cared to look.

Case in point:

In my own thread (AND OFFERING DISCOUNT): 139 views (over an entire month)
http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80880

In Livestock For Sale (NO DISCOUNT): 377 views (in 1 week)
http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82479

I wouldn't bother paying to be a sponsor if I didn't receive adequate hits.

JohnnyAirtime
09-22-2011, 03:56 PM
Site SPONSORS....
I won't debate it too much, as I'm pretty firm in my own personal opinion and I agree to a point with some of you. And of course you don't want to be limited to a certain for-sale section!! Why, when you don't have to now?! :) But, see... I know if I want something from a "sponsor", most of the time it's a store front. If you don't have a store front, then it's a bit different, but not by much... because people can't walk in and see, touch or feel on their own during open hours.

The middle men, like LA Run types, or selling out of their garage to make profit are the ones who still receive "Deals" or are distributors...etc and can get better pricing to make a profit. Buying wholesale, to sell for profit... but yet still no store front. Even then, I still think they have an upper advantage over the common reef enthusiast and should be limited to the sponsor-for-sale section.

I'd like to see a strict policy on the general-for-sale section for the non-wholesale types. The "average Joes"... people like myself, who will sell out of their personal tank of from their garage and share with other reefers. Or who aren't out to make a profit, and turn a buck on someone else's dime. Almost as like mentioned where it's a swap meet, but wholesalers/distributors and store owners aren't allowed to buy/sell. It's not odd for sites to limit things like this... why would this be so odd for SDReefs?

If people want to see STORE specials, or SPONSOR specials... they check the proper sponsor-for-sale section! How hard is that?? One more click?!
PLUS, if you put up a sponsor-for-sale section... people will come, it'll just take some time. God forbid any sales person have patience. ;)

For example, if I want to pay near retail... I go to sponsor-for-sale section. If I want to look for a reefer, who may sell cheap... where I can get a GOOD deal... I'll look in the general-for-sale section first. Once that's extinguished, I can go back and choose to do retail. No more sifting through who is a store, wholesaler, or whatever.

(I've got lots more opinion on this, and will keep it short-n-sweet to not thread jack too much... but, maybe this will give you my thought on the bigger picture).

Also, can we change when a user exceeds their PMs that they can't recieve messages? I just had to create a thread to notify them. Seems a bit insane to have to jump through hoops like that. Maybe they cant send them, but they can receive them.

I get email when my inbox is full, and the email states who the message came from during their attempt. If I login, delete some messages... I'm easily capable of replying to that person who made the attempt. OR, the user can turn on "accept email from users". OR... go premium, you get butt loads of PM space.

jessegarcia28
09-22-2011, 04:05 PM
not allowing new members post For Sale threads until they have like 20 meaningful post just my own:2cents:

UrbanReef
09-22-2011, 04:18 PM
The issue is there would be no hits in a separate forum. Here is an idea ..... U click "forums" , click "livestock for sale trade" then there are two options "Livestock general sale/trade" & "Reefer to Reefer sale/trade" The looker has the option between the two forums! Neither forum is flooded with apposing interests.And sponsors "for sale" will not be banished/Lost to a far off low traffic area of the site!!! Yay everyone wins!

JohnnyAirtime
09-22-2011, 04:39 PM
The issue is there would be no hits in a separate forum. Here is an idea ..... U click "forums" , click "livestock for sale trade" then there are two options "Livestock general sale/trade" & "Reefer to Reefer sale/trade" The looker has the option between the two forums! Neither forum is flooded with apposing interests.And sponsors "for sale" will not be banished/Lost to a far off low traffic area of the site!!! Yay everyone wins!

A great idea... but; With that, it would require more work on the posters and a little more on the readers. Each time they post, it would require them to 'check' or 'select' the appropriate sub-topic. Ya know how many would miss that?! I can name a few right now. ;) People already miss that for WTB/FS/SOLD/etc, or forget to update their "FS" threads to "SOLD". I can only imagine the chaos.

... TWO THREADS. Simple, effective, and easy to moderate.

Again, folks... this is just my opinion. And I'm vocal ... so, take it with a grain of salt. I'm not trying to throw it down your throats. Just speaking out about my thoughts, and stream lining a site with GREAT potential ... to be even better!

KDHL
09-22-2011, 04:39 PM
"Livestock" is a sub-forum too... why is it come up more when hit the "New Posts" than the vendor forums? I think it has to do with how they programmed for the "New Post" option.

Just need to change the code to treat the "Vendor forums" like other forums... such as "Main", "LiveStock", "Equipment".

I use the "New Posts" option all the time.... hardly select each sub-forum... unless I have to find more details.

My :2cents: suggestions.

SanDiegoReefs
09-22-2011, 04:55 PM
We are undertaking a huge change in the delivery of Sale items here, new layout, wraps, banners, so Sponsors will have other options to display content on For Sale items other than the forum post areas. The Sponsor areas are lower in the thread sequence and maybe don't have a lot of traffic so I see that point.

Maybe I like the idea of a SPONSOR FOR SALE Section and that is simple enough.

We are working on moving to a newer Hosting Area and redirecting from
http://www.sdreefs.com to http://www.sandiegoreefs.com in the very near future maybe as early as this Sunday Night so keep that in mind. Once we get that all redirected and clean we will be looking at upgrading to a newer version of VBulletin. Look for a PM blast on this.

Mutual Respect is Number 1.

Thanks again keep them suggestions coming.

RussM
09-22-2011, 05:27 PM
Support for TapaTalk
Upgrade ChatBox so it can be used by touch-screen devices. (I know this requires vB4, so this can't be done quite yet)

surfnsd
09-22-2011, 05:31 PM
Excited to see how everything turns out. Going to renew my membership asap now!

KDHL
09-22-2011, 09:11 PM
How about add more emoticons?

BajaReefs
09-22-2011, 09:22 PM
How about lfs posting prices not just pics? some people are on budgets and instead of sending pms back and forth...... :2cents:

BajaReefs
09-22-2011, 09:24 PM
How about add more emoticons?

yeah.....bring the popcorn back

Reef3r
09-22-2011, 11:53 PM
Support for TapaTalk
Upgrade ChatBox so it can be used by touch-screen devices. (I know this requires vB4, so this can't be done quite yet)

Defiantly going to agree on these.

Maybe adding a "Other Hobbies" subforum?

jrod11
09-23-2011, 07:30 AM
How about lfs posting prices not just pics? some people are on budgets and instead of sending pms back and forth...... :2cents:

I agree! If something is for sale it should have requirements

1. picture
2. price!!
3. location

H4Rk3R
09-23-2011, 06:51 PM
I agree! If something is for sale it should have requirements

1. picture
2. price!!
3. location

I love that idea, three requirements for a 'for sale' post.

Ars3nal619
09-24-2011, 07:16 PM
Abosolutely love the location. First thing I look at is where the item is located, then I go further about the description.

Yolo
09-26-2011, 09:28 AM
How about a GALLERY where we have a section for CORALS and FISH so everyone can have a reference point for items for sale?

TAGS Example:
Common Name
Scientific Name

http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/imagehosting/40544e813d0c9bc9e.jpg

Maybe even a MEMBERS TANKS section in the Gallery for just some of each other's better PICs.

ensiferum321
09-26-2011, 09:32 AM
How about a section that splits up areas ex. (South Sd, North SD, East west whatever it may be, even throw in a "I.E" area for us inland guys (Temecula Murrieta)

SDguy
09-26-2011, 09:36 AM
How about a GALLERY where we have a section for CORALS and FISH so everyone can have a reference point for items for sale?

I like the idea, Mike. Have tags on each photo with the most common names, so a search will bring up all the pics.

Yolo
09-26-2011, 09:52 AM
Found a PIC of my old SW Tank before it went to FW... I must have uploaded here...

http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/imagehosting/4054498f9ab355afb.jpg

We will have to update the FAQ's and do a write up so others can post up as well.

Tag Idea good...will be nice when we get to an updated version.

SDguy
09-26-2011, 09:54 AM
Yeah, I've got a bunch of photos uploaded here, but they are kind of a PITA to sift through.

bpro32
09-26-2011, 09:54 AM
I thought of a brilliant idea a couple days ago but didn't write it down and forgot. But it was a good one I promise! :p

Yolo
09-26-2011, 09:55 AM
Thinking about a SPORTS Section below the LOUNGE as well so we can go over Fantasy Leagues, Current Sports, UFC, etc.

I am a Charger Fan for example and I ran into two other Charger Fans at dinner Saturday night up in Aneheim. My wife was kind enough to take our picture.

http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/imagehosting/40544e80badfbb582.jpg

KDHL
09-26-2011, 12:19 PM
Thinking about a SPORTS Section below the LOUNGE as well so we can go over Fantasy Leagues, Current Sports, UFC, etc.

I am a Charger Fan for example and I ran into two other Charger Fans at dinner Saturday night up in Aneheim. My wife was kind enough to take our picture.

http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/imagehosting/40544e80badfbb582.jpg
You're one lucky dude! :shocked::shocked:

SanDiegoReefs
09-27-2011, 10:10 AM
Testing some new Prefixes for now. Let me know what you think?

Added:

Sponsor Deals!
FS Private Party

Easy enough to edit and or remove.

m

SDguy
09-27-2011, 10:12 AM
What's the second one for?

Hey, BTW, any way for these prefixes to show up under the "Reecent Threads" list...

SanDiegoReefs
09-27-2011, 11:32 AM
Second one is just for another option if someone wants to post it up differently. Private party is implied. We can pull it if it gets annoying.

Ummm...don't think I can go change all posts going back, only forward. We are treading very carefully around here to not break anything. Will have to take an inventory of all the plug-ins/add-ons and reinstall them during upgrade.

Fun times...planning for the week of Oct 17th if we can right the right VBulletin subject matter expert.

SDguy
09-27-2011, 11:44 AM
Oh, yeah, sorry I wasn't clear. I didn't mean changing old posts.

When you are on the home page... under the "Recent Threads" section: thread title, user name, and date are listed, but prefixes are not, nor are forum titles.

So, if the thread just says "Purple Mushrooms" I can't tell if they are FS, WTB, or just a showoff thread in the member's tank section. The prefix, or even the forum the thread is in, would give a lot more info.

ajn81
09-27-2011, 11:50 AM
Oh, yeah, sorry I wasn't clear. I didn't mean changing old posts.

When you are on the home page... under the "Recent Threads" section: thread title, user name, and date are listed, but prefixes are not, nor are forum titles.

So, if the thread just says "Purple Mushrooms" I can't tell if they are FS, WTB, or just a showoff thread in the member's tank section. The prefix, or even the forum the thread is in, would give a lot more info.

Agreed, also along these same lines, I posted this one a while back:

http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53513

but of course nothing was ever done to fix it.

Yolo
09-28-2011, 01:34 PM
So how "loose" should Moderation be?

1) Do absolutely nothing, let the language filters do their thing?

2) Maintain Terms of Service (which will be updated with input from users).

3) Let the MODS (when selected) figure it out.

Opinions? I was thinking the LOUNGE (with a proper disclaimer) might be the best place to post nonsense with the exception that your Mother, Employer, Wife, or Child should be able to read it. Unless specific intervention is requested, let it go a bit? Thoughts? Run a pilot test? I can guess some peoples will test boundries.

On my Fishing Forum we all use our real names and see each other on the boats. Never had to edit or Mod anything since 2005.

bbandu
09-28-2011, 02:07 PM
I know that I am not a premium member but if my opinion counts this is what I think.

1. There are users on here that are minors so I think that the language filters should always be on.

2. All post should be IAW the "Maintain Terms of Service" that all registered users agree to when signing up. Whatever they end up being after that update.

JohnnyAirtime
09-28-2011, 02:23 PM
So how "loose" should Moderation be?

1) Do absolutely nothing, let the language filters do their thing?

2) Maintain Terms of Service (which will be updated with input from users).

3) Let the MODS (when selected) figure it out.

Opinions? I was thinking the LOUNGE (with a proper disclaimer) might be the best place to post nonsense with the exception that your Mother, Employer, Wife, or Child should be able to read it. Unless specific intervention is requested, let it go a bit? Thoughts? Run a pilot test? I can guess some peoples will test boundries.

On my Fishing Forum we all use our real names and see each other on the boats. Never had to edit or Mod anything since 2005.

I'm one for strict moderation and following the rules set forth.
... I don't like "grey" areas, nor do I like people who test them. There's no reason for it, unless it's pure selfishness or personal gain (same thing).

Once everyone gets used to the new moderation, it'll settle down and MODs will ultimately have LESS work to do. If you don't MOD in that manner, and just let it roll with the punches... users will never know the boundaries, and some will get hurt when stepping over them for the slightest. But what's to say that person, and another got fair treatment? There isn't, unless rules and boundaries are set... and Moderated, and adhered to.

... Set the filters to full tilt (bad language isn't needed to represent a Reef site), and infract those who try to circumvent (IE: *** to W-T-F) etc.

Sorry, but... I was raised strict. And I like structure. This era needs more of it!! ;)

JohnnyAirtime
10-05-2011, 11:28 PM
I'm ready for a NO-SHOW list!!!

... thinking out loud;
I'm tired of those who say they'll show up to buy a frag, and DON'T SHOW UP or don't even call to inform they can't make it. It's RUDE, and un-nerving. I take time out of my day, to make sure I'm home when I say I will be... and all for a $5, $10, $20 frag to be sold. It's often, that someone will be late, and still only say; "so what do you have for $5?" To top it off... they don't bring a baggie or some sort of container. :curse:

We need a list, that has a "No Show PolicyGuideline". For example, if you no-show to a seller, and don't call or make some lame excuse as to why you couldn't make it... you get put up on the list. Once your name is on the list, the next time you no-show... you get another tick by your name. This way, when people like myself get a PM or reply to a for-sale posting... we can check the list against the person requesting to buy and know WHO we are dealing with.

... sorry to rant, as I know this probably wouldn't make it as an "improvement"... but, it sure would be nice to have.

AND, (for you buyers) quit texting a hundred questions. Pick up the phone, dial, and talk!! (texting is for junior high and high schoolers). Let alone, those who text "I'm out front". Anyone ever ring the doorbell anymore?? (oh wait, I don't have one... then friggin' KNOCK!!!!)

AND (while I'm ranting), I notice some people not accurately reporting their feedback ratings. Either we should do away with it, or MODERATE it!! I'm tired of people manipulating the system for their own benefit.

... Time for bed, I'm cranky :lol:

SDguy
10-06-2011, 06:06 AM
Welcome to selling stuff online... you sound grumpy like me ;)

Couple things I've learned that might help.

Only schedule times that you would have been home anyways.. that way if they flake, no biggie.

Ask them to bring exact change and their own container. I am neither a bank nor a grocery store, especially for inexpensive little stuff.

Write stuff in their feedback thread. I know I flake once or twice on people... totally admitted it, had zero excuse... just forgot. Worked it out with the seller. Not sure I want to be tagged on my SDR permanent record for it though :D

I'm ready for a NO-SHOW list!!!

... thinking out loud;
I'm tired of those who say they'll show up to buy a frag, and DON'T SHOW UP or don't even call to inform they can't make it. It's RUDE, and un-nerving. I take time out of my day, to make sure I'm home when I say I will be... and all for a $5, $10, $20 frag to be sold. It's often, that someone will be late, and still only say; "so what do you have for $5?" To top it off... they don't bring a baggie or some sort of container. :curse:

We need a list, that has a "No Show PolicyGuideline". For example, if you no-show to a seller, and don't call or make some lame excuse as to why you couldn't make it... you get put up on the list. Once your name is on the list, the next time you no-show... you get another tick by your name. This way, when people like myself get a PM or reply to a for-sale posting... we can check the list against the person requesting to buy and know WHO we are dealing with.

... sorry to rant, as I know this probably wouldn't make it as an "improvement"... but, it sure would be nice to have.

AND, (for you buyers) quit texting a hundred questions. Pick up the phone, dial, and talk!! (texting is for junior high and high schoolers). Let alone, those who text "I'm out front". Anyone ever ring the doorbell anymore?? (oh wait, I don't have one... then friggin' KNOCK!!!!)

AND (while I'm ranting), I notice some people not accurately reporting their feedback ratings. Either we should do away with it, or MODERATE it!! I'm tired of people manipulating the system for their own benefit.

... Time for bed, I'm cranky :lol:

Ars3nal619
10-06-2011, 06:36 AM
How about a regional area in the heading of something to be sold. Everyone is always posting where's location, but some sellers don't feel comfortable putting their address or city out there until they have met a few reefers.

With that being said, you could put 4 regional areas in the heading ( north county, east county, the beaches and south bay) or something similar. That way if you like what is being offered in the sold sections, you know what part of town the item is located and whether or not you are willing to travel.

splitkooks
10-07-2011, 09:03 AM
Embedding of either popular mainstream video sites, Vimeo or Youtube within a post. I know that in the latest versions of this forum software there are capabilities to do so...

SDguy
10-07-2011, 09:10 AM
How about a regional area in the heading of something to be sold. Everyone is always posting where's location, but some sellers don't feel comfortable putting their address or city out there until they have met a few reefers.

With that being said, you could put 4 regional areas in the heading ( north county, east county, the beaches and south bay) or something similar. That way if you like what is being offered in the sold sections, you know what part of town the item is located and whether or not you are willing to travel.

Can't we use the location portion of our profile for this? It shows up right there in the first post.

I don't mind having a location associated with thread title, except that I already have a hard time making my thread title short enough to keep them from turning into "..." depending on what page I'm viewing them from.

BajaReefs
10-07-2011, 09:15 AM
as long as I know that Peter lives in Kearny Mesa is all that matters to me :lol: location should be a must :2cents:

splitkooks
10-07-2011, 09:18 AM
Shortlinker? like bit.ly style

splitkooks
10-07-2011, 09:19 AM
oooo ooo i got it,
cotton candy machine

SDguy
10-07-2011, 09:21 AM
as long as I know that Peter lives in Kearny Mesa is all that matters to me :lol: location should be a must :2cents:

How's my favorite stalker doing? :lol:

BajaReefs
10-07-2011, 10:07 AM
How's my favorite stalker doing? :lol:

good..I would say and you, but I've been watching you and I know your good... :bounce: ...waiting for 1:30 to get off

seareef
10-07-2011, 10:12 AM
Embedding of either popular mainstream video sites, Vimeo or Youtube within a post. I know that in the latest versions of this forum software there are capabilities to do so...

This is an upgrade MOD to Vbulletin 4.x. Coming soon.

If we can get everybody to update their profile location, that would work better (Like Peter had mentioned). I can make it a mandatory field during registration.

specvjeff
10-07-2011, 04:45 PM
I got flaked on recently but oh well. It was for a $5 frag no big deal. As long as you are dealing with people its going to happen. I think better moderating of the site will go a long way in improving things. I know Chad and Mike will make things happen for the better so I'm not even worried about it. Chad knows forum building better than anyone I know and I trust him to make things happen for us. Thanks guys keep up the good work!

omrdloreyes
10-07-2011, 05:17 PM
The only problem that I've come across is that it is a hassle to upload a pic. Wish I could just cut and paste a picture instead of having to go trough other websites.

Drew_Inna_SD
10-11-2011, 11:24 PM
We should resurect the TOTQ... or better yet, upgrade to TOTM!

splitkooks
10-14-2011, 12:17 PM
+1 for TOTM/Q/Y?

SanDiegoReefs
10-14-2011, 12:52 PM
You can host images here to some extent. See VB Image Host along top option panel.

I too have a problem in finding my photobucket account, upload, grab the link, etc. Issues are with storage, determining a good/average pic size to agree to, and then cost of storing those images indefinitely. Those things will all work themselves out...

Please keep the suggestions coming.

TOTQ is absolutely on the list. Just have to get to a new version of VBulletin first! Patience amigos! I kid you not, we are working on it daily!

:shocked:

specvjeff
10-20-2011, 07:44 PM
I think it would be cool to have a nano reef forum.

SDguy
11-20-2011, 04:18 AM
My spellcheck button no longer works. Am I doing something wrong? I use avenger blue theme. Thx.

bpro32
12-06-2011, 08:26 PM
Is the local fish store forum gone?

BajaReefs
12-15-2011, 06:49 PM
a "like" button

RussM
12-18-2011, 11:09 PM
A non-vB-default favicon

SDguy
12-19-2011, 05:42 AM
I still have the problem that my tiny inset avatar doesn't show in the thread starters avatar to indicate that I've posted in a thread, when I look at individual forums. Can we get that fixed? I didn't realize how much I use that...

SDguy
12-19-2011, 07:02 PM
Update on this topic. Mike, as I told you this morning, the inset avtars worked when using FF, but not when using IE7 at work.

I use IE8 at home, and the inset avatars do not work.

specvjeff
12-20-2011, 10:27 PM
Chrome

SDguy
12-21-2011, 04:12 AM
Funny, I don't remember this thread being titled "Which browser should I switch to?" :D

SDguy
12-22-2011, 08:47 AM
I had IT update my IE here to 8 and it works now. I'll double check what's going on at home though...

Yolo
12-22-2011, 09:14 AM
Thanks SDGuy, interesting stuff there. Thanks for shaking that out. Very hard to code sites to all the different browsers, since we have the current version now, it makes sense it is compatible with IE8.

bpro32 - Yes the LFS section is no more. We did not see any value coming out of that area, only unsubstantiated rambles from anonymous users creating reputation damage for hard working Local Fish Stores. If someone finds a great, local, cool place that we should all know about, they can post it up in the Lounge. For the most part, I for one, am glad to see that forum gone. We are working to consolidate and remove forums that are not providing value or have much activity to make room for new ones!

SDguy
12-22-2011, 07:06 PM
OK, figured it out. Running IE8 here at home too, but I had SDR running in "compatability view" because before you upgraded, that was the only way for the little preview window to appear when you hovered over a thread title. Now the upgrade took care of that, and with compatability view turned off, I see the inset avatars. Yay!

SDguy
05-25-2012, 03:30 AM
Minor issue: If using the Avenger Blue theme with the site, when you go to somone's profile, the little area on the left that says stats like join date, and last activity, is a white box with white font, so you can't read it.

specvjeff
05-27-2012, 12:32 AM
If Chad hasn't seen this already, I'll let him know when I see him tomorrow Peter!

San Diego Reefs Moderator
Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

seareef
05-27-2012, 07:28 AM
Minor issue: If using the Avenger Blue theme with the site, when you go to somone's profile, the little area on the left that says stats like join date, and last activity, is a white box with white font, so you can't read it.

Iv'e been focusing on the Breeze template and neglected the others. I'll get on it.

Thnx Peter.