PDA

View Full Version : helpful or useless suppliments???

chilly05willy
05-10-2004, 11:58 PM
I've never seen a thread that discuss what people put in their tank (suppliment wise) and I am wondering if I dose too much, or not enough

WEEKLY: strotium, iodine, trace, iron, chromaplex (all by kent) 7mL for my 40 gallon/HOB refug/20g sump. Also a 5 gallon water change.

EVERY OTHER DAY: phytoplankton/zooplex/brine mix for corals and fish

EVERYDAY: B-Ionic

This is my current schedule. Please post what you dose in your tank and also helpful hints on how you make your corals happy and healthy. Thanks.

Will

MrKrispy
05-11-2004, 12:11 AM
switch to the Scripps pier water, won't have to supplement anything except maybe calcium. Foods of course...

chilly05willy
05-11-2004, 01:22 AM
But I heard from some people that scripps water isn't very clean and may cause algae problems. Is that true? Thanks for the response alex.

MrKrispy
05-11-2004, 01:48 AM
well everyone has issues with stuff somehow or another. I think the most important thing is to NOT get water after it rains and to make sure there hasn't been a sewerline break. There are TONS of local reefers that have been using it for a long time, nanos to mega tanks.

If you are attentive I don't see how it could lead to an algae outbreak. Then again, what do I know heh heh.

SanDiegoReefs
05-11-2004, 09:14 AM
chilly:

Check out both of these threads, they're full of info from people who use Scripps water.

http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=253&highlight=scripps

http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=82&highlight=scripps

-moore

sdboogie
05-11-2004, 01:00 PM
It seemed like I needed water changes more often with Scripps water. My last batch also had high salinity. I'm gonna use it to fill my new 40 and maybe use alternating Scripss and mixed water changes. And for top off reasons, I always need DI sitting around. So sometimes it seems to be easier to mix my own than manage both sea water and DI. Also, that car detail place on Miramar road sells DI water for 8 cents per gallon. I know exactly what's in my water when I mix my own. But FREE water is hard to beat. 6 one way, half dozen the other?

Oh, also, I use Bionic daily.

Fo8sQuaD
05-11-2004, 04:27 PM
I got scripps water for the first time last week and the salinity was off the charts. Hope this was a one time thing. So far no ill effects.

brahm
05-12-2004, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by Fo8sQuaD
I got scripps water for the first time last week and the salinity was off the charts. Hope this was a one time thing. So far no ill effects.

thats odd

sdboogie
05-12-2004, 09:18 AM
I had the same experience with high salinity about 2 weeks ago. Someone at OG told me that it wasn't unusual.

MrKrispy
05-12-2004, 09:33 AM
how high, what S.G.?

Hydrometer or refrac? :)

sdboogie
05-12-2004, 09:49 AM
I believe it was 1.030 or even higher. The needle just seem to float to the top. After diluting with DI, I got it in the range needed. I almost didn't check, it's sea water after all.

Oh, hydrometer.

MrKrispy
05-12-2004, 12:48 PM
I usually check mine with a refrac. typically get it around 1.024-1.026. Maybe you got lots of runoff :eek:

brahm
05-12-2004, 01:39 PM
i don't check often.. but every time i have i always get 1.024 on the mark. Did you let it sit for a while?

Mike N
05-12-2004, 01:44 PM
I think run-off would decrease SG, vice increase it.

Either the system at Scripps is allowing evaporation or your meter is inaccurate. I tend to think the latter is the case since the water at Scripps is used to support the aquarium and countless other marine biology projects and tests.

An interesting question for the people at Scripps.

Flamehawk
05-12-2004, 02:04 PM
I used to use natural sea water 5-6 years ago, but I do found that I need to do more water changes. I had hair algae problem back than, so I switched over to mixing my own water. I did try natural sea water again, I don't remember what happened, but I just know it makes me switch back to mixing my own water again.

I think natural sea water we have avaliable to us is great for emergencies. But I like to have more control over what I put into my tank and not deal with some type of pollution, red tide, harmful bacteria...etc. Just too much variebles.

But whatever works for you. Every tank is different. That's what cool about it.

Plus, too much work to get those water. total 40-50 min. to drive there and come back, gasolin required to power the car, ....since I live in an apartment, don't have the luxury of pulling up to diveway or in to garage or a place to store a big drum full of water...lifting six, seven, or eight 45-50 lbs buckets of water from parking lot, down the staires to my apartment every other week isn't exactly fun.

:D just had to say something, since not many benefits of mixing own water was mentioned. For me mixing my own water works out great for me, save me time, gas,.... most of all I have less varieble to deal with, give me more control.

Fo8sQuaD
05-12-2004, 11:22 PM
I checked with a hydrometer and it was too high for mine to detect. I'll check again next time. I just thought that was odd since it was the first time i got it. How do you know when's theres runoff? It hasnt rained in some time.

MrKrispy
05-13-2004, 12:55 AM
ahh I was just kidding about the runoff. I usually give it a few days if it has rained within the week. There is a link that has info about the area and pollution, I don't have it on my home PC.

Anyone?