PDA

View Full Version : chiller question

bler
05-06-2004, 03:00 PM
do you NEED a chiller ?? i keep hearing people saying that they cant keep a tank around here without a chiller, is it really a problem ? does it depend on your location in the county ?

i don't remember any problems with my f/w tanks down here last summer..

SDRotary
05-06-2004, 03:15 PM
I would say the most important thing is your lighting and your house's ambient temp. A f/w tank doesnt get AS hot due to usually less lighting. I have hardly any lighting on my 180 fw and it still is creeping from 80 usually to ~83 lately. If you had mh in SD I would buy a chiller, and cringe at the prices :( . I suppose it matters where in SD you live also, as I am in El Cajon and it is an oven, whereas coastal areas are much cooler.

bler
05-06-2004, 03:30 PM
yah, I have a 400W MH on my tank, but I live in a coastal area... I couldn't imagine having it in the desert without a/c..

last year all I did was turn down my heaters and it kept the temp ~80.. but then again I wasnt running the 400W mh..

maybe I won't even need to use heaters and save some on my electricity bill haha ;)

SDRotary
05-06-2004, 04:02 PM
I would just turn the heaters down so they dont come on unless its under 79 or so. I just wouldn't want too much fluxuation to the temp. They shouldn't cost you too much b/c they will likely only come on @ night.

GEFRANKLE
05-06-2004, 06:30 PM
I have 1/4 HP chiller and about 90 gallons of water. All stayed below 80 F this week.

Same chiller (Via Aqua) about $300 on eBay.