PDA

View Full Version : Activated Carbon as a Cause of Head and Lateral Line Erosion (HLLE) in Marine Aquariu

tricali
05-05-2011, 04:59 PM
Just wondering what the pros out there think about this study.

http://www.coralmagazine-us.com/content/activated-carbon-hlle-smoking-gun-found

Conclusion:
The recommendation based on the clear effect that the use of carbon had on the study fish is not to use activated lignite carbon in marine aquariums housing fish species susceptible to HLLE. Other means of water quality management should first be explored; water changes, non-carbon chemical filtration, or foam fractionation. Extruded pelleted carbon may be more suitable, especially if used sparingly. No conclusions can be drawn regarding the use of carbon filtration products that were not tested.

If you do use carbon, rinse it well in reverse osmosis water prior to use, employ a foam fractionator, and do not place the carbon in a high water flow reactor (that might serve to break the carbon granules up into finer particles).

LotsaFishies
05-05-2011, 05:21 PM
I have always been under the impression that carbon doesn't *cause* HLLE, but that it certainly aggravates it / can make it worse, once a fish already has HLLE...

h20poloman
05-08-2011, 08:57 PM
I'd tend to think in line with what Chris said as I've run carbon for a years and have always had tangs....never experienced an HLLE issue. Not discrediting the study, just my experience. IMO, HLLE is caused from a poor diet with not enough vegetable matter.

AquaticLifeTropicals
05-08-2011, 09:29 PM
I'd tend to think in line with what Chris said as I've run carbon for a years and have always had tangs....never experienced an HLLE issue. Not discrediting the study, just my experience. IMO, HLLE is caused from a poor diet with not enough vegetable matter.

+1 Definitely.

EuroDriver
05-29-2011, 05:01 PM
Perhaps the issue is misuse of carbon (i.e., leaving spent carbon in the system)? Not to deviate from the topic, but anyone else notice they stated "Thirty-five Ocean Surgeonfish, (Acanthurus bahianus) were evenly distributed among the three systems at the start of the study." How did they accomplish that - did they chop up 2 fish into pieces???