PDA

View Full Version : Site Sponsors

fishnsd
04-07-2011, 09:58 AM
I suggest that site sponsors only post for sell threads in their own sections. Seeing a sponsor posting in the classified section over and over is a bit annoying. Thank you to Lotsafishies for keeping in his forum.....

rodbuster229
04-07-2011, 10:02 AM
i think their should be a section in the home page with sponsors new threads like in the other forums, that way it will be their for everyone to see when they get on the site instead of having to go directly to the sponsors page

LotsaFishies
04-07-2011, 10:17 AM
You are welcome fishnsd, thank you for noticing.

Rodbuster - doesn't all of the sponsors' posts (within their our own forums) show up when you hit "new posts"?

jason142
04-07-2011, 01:03 PM
You are welcome fishnsd, thank you for noticing.

Rodbuster - doesn't all of the sponsors' posts (within their our own forums) show up when you hit "new posts"?

Sure does, at least for me anyway.

cdgardner11
04-07-2011, 01:30 PM
It does come up on the front page, but I do like going to equipment sales and livestock sales to see everything.

I also like the idea of a sponsor for sale section. Then it would just be one more section, not every sponsor.

rodbuster229
04-07-2011, 01:30 PM
Never checked that way... Never mind

drainbamage
04-07-2011, 01:47 PM
most of the sponsors aint that bad- don't get me wrong, I agree it's cleaner and I browse via 'new posts' so where it's located isn't too big a deal. With the die-off in traffic, only seemed like a few sponsors were still posting, so it's understandable why they moved into the higher traffic area.

That said, the site's picking back up and it would be nice to clean things up- but the main offender is one individual who's not a sponsor and spams the heck out of the livestock board, which is something I consider pretty selfish and rude.

Two Bit Scooter
04-07-2011, 01:56 PM
So many to choose from:

You didn't just say that...
Bam!
:ohsnap:
Dude's got issues.
Don't be a thread ninny.
Tell us what you really think.

and of course:
Guy's got a point, one thread for everything would be more polite.

goody
04-07-2011, 03:41 PM
Not sure if this makes any difference on postings, but the sponsor forum is also outdated. Some of those sponsors/businesses no longer exist. Maybe some members don't even browse that section.

Acefspds
04-14-2011, 12:15 PM
Sponsor or not........

What about the people who post 10 things for sale in 10 different posts and try to bump them so they "own" half of the livestock for sale section?

Or the "group buy" threads people do when they really arent group buys. They are just trying to get away with a wholesale purchase and selling off what they bought?

Or the "breakdown" threads when people are just breaking down a tank they just bought to turn a profit?

IMO alot more goes on then people think. Alot of people try to trick their way out of sponsorship by listing as a group buy or a breakdown thread. I have noticed since I have been here a few people who have broken down quite a few times and somehow still have tanks.

Just my .02

ironcross
04-24-2011, 09:53 AM
Getting tired of posting in the wanted to buy section and having site sponsers respond saying they can get that or I can order that. I realize that sales is a source of income for you and for something rare or hard to find it would be acceptable for a response if your able to get that item, but for common stuff easy to find don't respond. We all know you can get these items and if we can't find them we all know how to contact you. There are 2 major offenders that constantly do this and because of that I know that me personally will never purchase from them.

bpro32
04-24-2011, 10:41 AM
Getting tired of posting in the wanted to buy section and having site sponsers respond saying they can get that or I can order that. I realize that sales is a source of income for you and for something rare or hard to find it would be acceptable for a response if your able to get that item, but for common stuff easy to find don't respond. We all know you can get these items and if we can't find them we all know how to contact you. There are 2 major offenders that constantly do this and because of that I know that me personally will never purchase from them.

I disagree with this. There are a lot of people that post in the WTB and forget about some of our lesser known resources (i.e. those without a store front), or don't know that a certain lfs has one in stock.

EuroDriver
04-25-2011, 04:00 PM
I suggest that site sponsors only post for sell threads in their own sections. Seeing a sponsor posting in the classified section over and over is a bit annoying. Thank you to Lotsafishies for keeping in his forum.....

[+1] What's the point in having a Sponsors section if they just railroad the regular members' section as well? It's just not kosher. Just imagine trying to sell a vehicle and every time someone approaches you about it, every dealer in town jumps in to offer your prospective buyer their inventory. Kind of an exaggerated example, but that's kind of how I feel about the classifieds section here.

Acefspds, I hear you about those others that monopolize and the solution to that may be much harder - but I think eventually most figure out who's who. But those that are here with a de facto commercial interest (i.e., the stores/businesses), definitely belong in their own, separate section as far as buying and selling is concerned. I can see issues coming down the road where a member is going to have a problem with a transaction with a business where the contact originated here, and is going to get this site involved in a mess because there was no clear boundary identifying a business as an advertiser. :2cents:

av619
04-25-2011, 04:27 PM
i think their should be a section in the home page with sponsors new threads like in the other forums, that way it will be their for everyone to see when they get on the site instead of having to go directly to the sponsors page

Agreed +1 ^!!!! :ohsnap:

drainbamage
04-25-2011, 04:32 PM
we've got to sort of realize we're working with what we got- the active mods can't really change the forum around any, so all we can really do is 'enforce' by choosing who to buy from.

If you don't like the myriad of non-sponsor commercial sellers, don't buy from them. If you do-you're supporting their behavior/sales methods.

You like the guys who post all their items in a single thread? Support them and make a point of it.

We're not going to get Blake to come in here and do any major overhauling of the site- complaining about it's not going to do anything but...well, it honestly won't do a dang thing. I suppose some people will feel better for pointing it out? I don't understand how it makes them feel better, but maybe it does.

Regardless- we're working with what we have- if you don't like sdreefs the way it is- there's other places you can go (either other local places, or national sites.) If you don't want to leave the population here, then figure ways to improve things working within the constraints of what we have (namely, no 'authority' figure to go running to to solve things for us.)

snyder2050
04-26-2011, 09:25 PM
we've got to sort of realize we're working with what we got- the active mods can't really change the forum around any, so all we can really do is 'enforce' by choosing who to buy from.

If you don't like the myriad of non-sponsor commercial sellers, don't buy from them. If you do-you're supporting their behavior/sales methods.

You like the guys who post all their items in a single thread? Support them and make a point of it.

We're not going to get Blake to come in here and do any major overhauling of the site- complaining about it's not going to do anything but...well, it honestly won't do a dang thing. I suppose some people will feel better for pointing it out? I don't understand how it makes them feel better, but maybe it does.

Regardless- we're working with what we have- if you don't like sdreefs the way it is- there's other places you can go (either other local places, or national sites.) If you don't want to leave the population here, then figure ways to improve things working within the constraints of what we have (namely, no 'authority' figure to go running to to solve things for us.)

+1 on that,well said

JohnnyAirtime
07-08-2011, 11:36 AM
Why is this thread... dying a slow death?

I've come to think that there's a lot of good points being made here about SPONSORS running amok in the for sale sections. Why not (and I know how easy this is!!) just add a Site Sponsor for sale section, and keep them out of the everyday Joe section?! It's easy, and would sure help those just looking to buy from another reefer.

If I wanted to buy from a wholesaler, or a shop... I'd go visit the "Sponsor For Sale Section". Simple as that.

Saying to "simply avoid their posts" or "go somewhere else" is not very open minded. Especially when the sections are easy to add to the database, and even moving threads is easy as banana cream pie! (heck, I'll do it if you give me admin rights! ... I'd be happy to help, and do it for free). I know this, because I run my own PHP forum.

Sure you'll always get the people who circumvent the rules, but the reefers can help here... and to say "don't buy from them..." if you want them to stop is a null point. Not everyone is keen to their work-a-round methods. Reporting their post, and a MOD doing something about it... works like a charm. They'll get the point sooner or later.

TIME to do some HOUSE CLEANING!!

I was serious... let me know if I can help the forum! ... there's no reason it should be so hard to make changes. Changes for the good... should be easy, and done often. Need some credentials? I've been an I.T. Guy for 20yrs. I know my way around. ;)

H4Rk3R
07-08-2011, 11:40 AM
+1 for some active mods!

JediReef
07-09-2011, 10:36 AM
Geez some people whine about everything.. You do have an option you know... Just don't look at their posts...

JohnnyAirtime
07-09-2011, 11:17 AM
Geez some people whine about everything.. You do have an option you know... Just don't look at their posts...

lol... your right, it's easy to filter through them... if you know who is who. If you don't you have to open the thread.... read up, educate yourself on what/where/who and then realize that person/store is saying: "Ya, come on in... I've got them" when you are really only looking for NON retail buys/purchases.

And... since this is a "discussion" thread, I'm only suggesting things myself... I don't consider it whining per-se. It doesn't bother me enough to whine about it.

JohnnyAirtime
07-12-2011, 06:55 PM
It's even worse when those "sponsors" get on the chat window, and start selling like a car salesman!! (like tonight) Ya wonder why I never chat!

LarryM
07-12-2011, 09:42 PM
All are welcome to their opinions and perceptions..

Mine.

Sponsors have paid to support this site. in turn they receive a few more benifits, one of which is there own moderated forum. However there is no rule or direction that that is the only area they are allowed to post in. Think of the sponsor label as a step up from a premium member.

Most sponsors have only their sponsor login. some have a few more. As a sponsor myself I also have decided to maintain my premium membership.. that way I incrase my support and can hopefully keep business and personal issues separate.

However when I signed up as a sponsor it was made clear to me that I was not resricted from posting in any forum as sponsor. whether that meant to comment or to post sales. How a sponsor uses his postings is another issue.

Post should be made with consideration to all the members of the board by all the members posting on the board. whether they are a sponsor, premium member or a guest.

I have more of an issue of those that have been on here for more than six months (some years) that continue without being a premium member and taking a free ride on the back of those premium members and sponsors and then complain about how things are run.

Want to make things better.. dont support the members who continue to make a profit selling on a continuous basis but dont have a color to their name. they are the ones who are keeping this site from improving and making a better site for us all.

In my opinion, there should be a way to restrict posting to sales areas to premium member or above. any replies about a sale can be made by PM. There is too much trashing in posts anyways.

JohnnyAirtime
07-13-2011, 09:09 AM
Want to make things better.. dont support the members who continue to make a profit selling on a continuous basis but dont have a color to their name. they are the ones who are keeping this site from improving and making a better site for us all............

Over time this could work. But, there's too many supporting those types who don't care about a "clean" filtered for-sale section. Or, if the seller has what they need... it's hard to pass on it, "just because" they are "that type".

I'm all for whatever, but it sure gets old browsing through a page of "BUMPS" and sponsor sales.... which drown out the guys who don't abuse the system, or are simply a reefer or sponsor trying to list his/her items.

JohnnyAirtime
07-13-2011, 09:37 AM
You like the guys who post all their items in a single thread? Support them and make a point of it.........

Interesting. I like separate posts, with a subject describing the item. (to each his own I guess).

Nothing like seeing a post that says; "Stuff for sale"... which requires you to read the first post and hope that is updated, or follow along in multiple updates to see if the one item you want...is still available or not. Kind of a time waster. Placing one post, per item... is easy, and even easier to update. Super simple for a prospective buyer to know if it's still available or not as well.
... am I missing something about my scenario, that others like and I don't see?