PDA

View Full Version : Tank overheating in this heat wave

Dakota
05-03-2004, 01:36 PM
My tank is up to 83.5 degrees. . . Aside from cranking my AC up, are there any safe ways to bring it down? I have a fan under my canopy. Would it hurt the corals to turn off my lights for a day? Thanks!

~Eric

Dakota
05-03-2004, 06:07 PM
hrm.. maybe I'll try that.. couldnt' hurt. I stuck a box fan in front of the cabinet where the sump it. . . not much improvement.

tom@kartboy.com
05-03-2004, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by Dakota
hrm.. maybe I'll try that.. couldnt' hurt. I stuck a box fan in front of the cabinet where the sump it. . . not much improvement.
i have a drop in chiller i purchased a month ago that i wont be using.
1/5 HP with a digi controller
i paid 300 for it.
fired it up once and it froze my hand to the chiller element LOL

let me know if your interested.

tom

ConUSsd
05-03-2004, 09:55 PM
hey tom, how is that chiller working out for you? i've been looking at getting a drop-in one. are you selling yours? if so i'll be up for it. oliver :cool:

REEFWAVE
05-04-2004, 12:40 AM
i cut down the photoperiod by about 2 hours and added 3 fans underneath blowing on the sump and refuge. it was at 83 yeturday and held at 80 today. the problem is that it isnt even the hottest time of year yet the worst is yet to come. i think i will start looking for a chiller. ahhhh!

reefrenzy
05-04-2004, 09:51 PM
Some tricks I do:

Put a fan on top of your sump, blowing directly on the water. Better evaporation that way, greater effect. Expect to add more topoff water though.

I have my icemaker to my refrigerator tee'd into my RO unit...So my ice is pure. I take a few cupfuls of ice and dump that right into my sump. Very quick action on dropping the temp on my 85G.

Hope this helps.