PDA

View Full Version : Pulling latex paint off a tank

drainbamage
02-22-2011, 10:36 PM
Trying to strip some latex based paint off of an acrylic tank-anyone done this before that can suggest the best method? Tank is empty so can go at it any which way, just not sure if a stripper is best or a heat gun or something else? Really trying to get a 100% strip so I can repaint it black (it's on the outside back of the tank) Thanks in advance for any help,
Cheers.

Waves in Glass
02-23-2011, 11:03 AM
Trying to strip some latex based paint off of an acrylic tank-anyone done this before that can suggest the best method? Tank is empty so can go at it any which way, just not sure if a stripper is best or a heat gun or something else? Really trying to get a 100% strip so I can repaint it black (it's on the outside back of the tank) Thanks in advance for any help,
Cheers.

I would not use solvent strippers, they may soften the acrylic. Scraping is about the only way... sanding with ultra fine after then repaint?

drainbamage
02-23-2011, 11:18 AM
I would not use solvent strippers, they may soften the acrylic. Scraping is about the only way... sanding with ultra fine after then repaint?

yea....I just really hate sanding acrylic-never have the patience to do all the steps. Do you think a heat gun would cause too much expansion on the acrylic and cause any cracks? Looking more like it's going to be a plastic scraper and a ton of elbow grease.