PDA

View Full Version : Building a Rimless Tank

BigMike80
01-22-2011, 05:39 PM
Hey guys....Im in the planning stage of setting up a 15g rimless nano reef tank. I really like DIY projects and would like to actually build the tank and an LED pendant for it.

I have ZERO experience working with glass though and am wondering if there is anyone in SD that has experience with this that would be willing to lend a helping hand? It's not something that will happen really soon (gotta find a place to live before putting the tank together) but I figured I would ask here anyway.

I would provide pizza and beer (maybe some Stone Brewery?) Might have to wait till after the tank is built to enjoy the Stone though....I want it to hold water! :cool:

Let me know if any of you guys would be interested in a "tank building party"!

Thanks,
Mike

p.s. I guess I should have put that I was looking for help in the title (sorry for being misleading).

BigMike80
01-28-2011, 10:31 AM
No one here has built their own glass tank?

theicecreamdan
01-28-2011, 10:48 AM
The tank building party sounds cool, but I don't have any experience building a tank.

If anything starts to get planned including somebody with experience, I'd be interested in learning something.

splitkooks
01-28-2011, 02:20 PM
hit up LarryM, i know its his actual business, but that also may entail trade secrets...ive found a few by a quick google

splitkooks
01-28-2011, 02:22 PM
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/diy_acrylic_aquarium.php

BigMike80
01-29-2011, 07:34 PM
Thanks for the info. I've read through many tutorials but would like to have someone there who has some experience building tanks. It may be a while before I pull the trigger on putting the tank together. But I will definitely let you guys know when I plan to do this. I think a tank building party would be pretty fun.

fishnsd
01-31-2011, 06:52 AM
We have so much money invested in our tanks, I dont think many of are willing to try to build a tank. I would be interested in seeing your updates though.....

phishphood
01-31-2011, 10:34 PM
My advice (aside from seeking help from more exp people like you're doing) is to get some pieces of glass and play around with them. Put together little boxes etc and get the hang of it.