PDA

View Full Version : humilis frags from ReeferMadness

MrKrispy
04-29-2004, 01:25 PM
hey,

About those purple humilis frags we got from ReeferMadness a few weeks ago: How are yours doing?

Mine don't seem as purple as they were, but the polyps are out and the thing(s) seem okay. I was wondering if maybe I didn't acclimate it to my light long enough. I kept it low for a week and then moved it up. I don't have photos yet, sorry.

hobbs
04-29-2004, 04:07 PM
I got a couple of those frags and mine aren't very purple either.

hobbs
04-29-2004, 04:45 PM
I have mine directly under a 175W MH with two powerheads pointed at them. The frags were not very purple to begin with.
I'm hoping the color will improve over time.

MrKrispy
04-29-2004, 05:43 PM
I have mine under a 250W 20k pendant. I have one at the top and one lower, both appear about the same color. One gets heavier flow (lower) than the other two. I like them, I just thought they were more purple. Damn RM photos :)

ronreef
04-30-2004, 08:04 PM
The base that I fragged everything off of is keeping color.

I also have a frag that is very blue, but I have it all the way at the top. It's 2 inches from the waterline.

The other frag I put low has lost color.

chin_monster
04-30-2004, 10:12 PM
Humilis colonies almost always brown out. Just the nature of the beast, so to speak. They come off the airplane with awesome colorations and start browning out almost immediately, somteimes literally as you watch. They do recolor, but may not ever regain the original coloration.

Seen the most awesome coral (it was a humilis) a couple weeks ago up in LA. Incredible solid electric/ neon/ nuclear sky blue -never, ever imagined such a color existed or could- and the next week (wouldn't sell it to me) it was just another turd brown acro and messed up.

The frags I got are all doing well. And, yes, they too are much more brown than purple. But that was pretty much expected.

ronreef
05-03-2004, 11:59 AM
Lesson Learned. I will refrain from buying Humilis Colonies.

MrKrispy
05-03-2004, 12:39 PM
I like the frags, they are doing well. There must be purple to be had elsewhere, heh.

ronreef
05-03-2004, 12:57 PM
FYI: I will be making some buys in the coming weeks...

MrKrispy
05-03-2004, 02:08 PM
cool! I'm ready, heh.

chin_monster
05-03-2004, 02:23 PM
There was a really nice purple and expensive selago yesterday. I've been trying justify buying it, but just don't have the room.

ronreef
05-03-2004, 03:15 PM
Should have bought it and split it up :) I would have bought a frag(s) of it....

MrKrispy
05-04-2004, 01:36 PM
I am wondering if I can change to a DE bulb that is more on the blue side to help the SPS color back up. I have a 20K coralvue and it isn't as blue as I thought it would be. Maybe I just need an excuse to get a new bulb ha.