PDA

View Full Version : Led Beware!

keepitclean
11-10-2010, 03:38 PM
Disclaimer: I have been reefing for 3 years but am def not a pro.....

THat being said I just received two new (120 wtt) led units from ledwholesalers.com. The lights look great on the tank but.......... they are so loud its ridiculous.

Any suggestions to tone down the noise???

keepitclean
11-10-2010, 05:25 PM
Bump?

kthehun89
11-10-2010, 05:45 PM
Switch out the fans that's about it

drainbamage
11-10-2010, 06:00 PM
What sorta noise? Only part that should be generating noise is the fan like above said-so if they're not aligned right and balanced, you'll get more grinding noise. Otherwise if they're just loud fans-change them out for a higher-end fan.

keepitclean
11-10-2010, 06:08 PM
Where can u get better fan from?

hughjaas
11-10-2010, 08:20 PM
Where can u get better fan from?

Frys has a lot of fans and you can return them if they don't work out. Don't get a cheap one- you definitely get what you pay for.

Thanks for the info on the fixtures. I was looking into those. I didn't even think about the noise issue.

willp2
11-10-2010, 10:23 PM
Silenx makes some very nice quiet fans. You can get them at Fry's or newegg. I replaced the fans in my NC with them and it was night and day.

http://www.silenx.com/ixtremaprofans.asp

keepitclean
11-10-2010, 10:48 PM
Anyone hook one of replacement fans before ? I have never done it and don't want to ruin the fixture...

For a product review: fixture is nice but obvious that it's in a begining stage of production....but beyond the fan, for the price it's seems to be ok deal

willp2
11-10-2010, 11:18 PM
I've never seen that fixture in person. If you can't find someone else who has replaced the fans, open it up and take a look at the current fans. There should be some technical data there like what voltage it runs at and a make and model. Most likely they are around 12v DC. If it doesn’t show the CFM rating, you can use the part number to look up the details on Google.

Almost certainly any quieter fans you replace the stock ones with wont move as much air. That’s probably not a problem, but if they are 12V fans you could do something like add a large fan or two right on top of the heatsink running off of the same power as the other fans. This would help get heat away from the heatsink faster and the combination of more air moving closer to the heatsink and the other new fans will likely improve the cooling overall and keep things much quieter.

goody
11-11-2010, 07:49 AM
I have the same fixtures, and I agree that the fans are too loud. The fans are DC 15V 0.15a. and with the way they are installed (between the 4 circuits), there is no room for a larger fan to place right on top of the heat sink. It looks like you would need to find quieter fans that are the same size.

Now the fixture has vents on all 4 sides. Would buying larger, quieter fans and just placing inside the canopy cool the heat sinks enough?

willp2
11-11-2010, 08:07 AM
The larger fan on top was really just a bonus if there was room. I doubt they are really needed.

The Silenex fans are rated at 8-14v. 15V would probably work just fine coming from the power supply but for a few bucks I'd add a little voltage regulator to get 12v for the fans.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062600
will also need a little heatsink for the regulator
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102856

Should be a pretty easy little project to swap out the fans and would have a nice payoff in noise.