PDA

View Full Version : My DIY LED Light

cdgardner11
10-15-2010, 10:07 PM
I am 95% finished with my new LED lights for what is going to be my 180 gallon FOWLR tank. I put them on the tank (empty) to see what they will look like, and I really think I am going to like it.

It is built with a total of 18 LED lights. There are 9 Cool White Cree XP-G R5 LEDs and 9 Royal Blue Cree XR-E LEDs. The Whites are on a dimmer and ran by a Mean Well ELN-60-48P dimmable driver. And the blues are run by a Mean Well LPC-35-700W driver.

Anyway, let me know what you guys think, if you have any question, or maybe anything you might have done different. Also the tank is in my garage, which is a mess. :hideeyes:

On a side not I used to be able to put pictures right in between the text, but can't remember how. :confused2:

willp2
10-15-2010, 10:23 PM
Nice job. How high over the water are they?

cdgardner11
10-15-2010, 10:43 PM
Right now they are about 4.5 inches above the water. I have the ability due to how I hung them of going up about 4 more inches or closer another two. Of course if I got creative with the stand I could go up even higher if I wanted to.

fishnsd
10-16-2010, 07:23 AM
Thats plenty of light for a fish only tank.

LarryM
10-16-2010, 08:14 AM
Nice Job.

Only concern when water is in how spotlighted it will be. As long as it pleases your eyes is all that matters for a ish only tank.

cdgardner11
10-16-2010, 08:54 AM
Nice Job.

Only concern when water is in how spotlighted it will be. As long as it pleases your eyes is all that matters for a ish only tank.

This was my concern as well. I decided to go with no lenses to try and keep this from happening. Once I get it all set up I will see how it looks and go from there.

willp2
10-16-2010, 10:23 AM
Not sure if there is glass between the LED’s and the water. If there isn’t I could see some potential issues with corrosion over time with them that close to the water.

NickSDC
10-16-2010, 11:02 AM
Are those metal boxes enclosed? Where did you get them from?

cdgardner11
10-16-2010, 03:16 PM
Not sure if there is glass between the LED’s and the water. If there isn’t I could see some potential issues with corrosion over time with them that close to the water.

I am coming up with a plan do to this same concern by me. I either will find a way to make a cover on the bottom of the lights, or I will make sure there is glass under each heatsink. I actually might just raise the lights and see how it looks.

cdgardner11
10-16-2010, 03:17 PM
Are those metal boxes enclosed? Where did you get them from?

They are heat sinks from Rapid LED. They are not enclosed.