PDA

View Full Version : Converting AQUA Clear 70 to an ATS

Pure Magic79
08-14-2010, 02:58 PM
1st question was why an ATS? Once I figured out the benefits to an ATS I had to have one. It took a lot of research, homework, and talking to knowledgeable folks such as laffingcrow to figure out what system was right for me (Thank you Brian, you helped me out tremendously).

I ended up going with an AQUA Clear 70 conversion to an ATS. It has been on my FRAG tank for 2 months now and working like a champ. Works so good my skimmer was not getting anything. So I took the skimmer off.

Why did I go with an ATS? Several reasons, it is on my FRAG tank and I overfeed mainly because I want to get good growth. It was causing my tank to have a lot of hair algae. My water quality was not as good as it should be forcing me to do 2 water changes a week (I still do just because but I could push it out to 2 weeks or more with no problem).

Here are some sources that I did some research on when I was looking for the system for me:
http://www.algaescrubber.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=68

http://www.algalturfscrubber.com/

Just do a google search for algae turf scrubber and thousands of sites pop. There are some threads on sdreefs. Just search for turf scrubber.

Pure Magic79
08-14-2010, 02:59 PM
Once I figured what system was good for me, I was ready to get to work. Just had to find the basic items needed for an ATS:
- ATS chassis/ bought used AQUA Clear 70 for $10.00
http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/imagehosting/30994c671d6a78d0f.jpg
- Light source/ clip lamp from Walmart $9.99
http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/imagehosting/30994c671d82d83f4.jpg- Plastic mesh/ I found at Walmart $.75
http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/imagehosting/30994c671d924cfb1.jpg
- Plastic clips/ Had them already. Can buy at Walmart or any grocery store/ just make sure it does not have any metal parts.
http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/imagehosting/30994c671d82c66ca.jpg
http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/imagehosting/30994c671d6a7e2fb.jpg
- Bio media/ not needed but I used left over bio media from my fresh water tanks/ which I already had.
http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/imagehosting/30994c671d6a8d915.jpg
So for under $30 I was able to build an ATS.

My ATS build:
Step 1. Cleaned out the old AQUA Clear 70 with an old tooth brush and made sure it worked. Just tested it in a bucket.

Step 2. In the AQUA Clear picture you see item B(media basket). I cut it just above the mesh holes on the sides. I wanted the water to flow from the pump freely into the main chamber.

Step 3. I filled media basket with bio media. I found that pods and mysis shrimp love it in there. You could use base rock/ live rock, an aquarium sponge, or bio media like I did.

Step 4. Cut the plastic mesh to fit in the main chamber. Took me a couple of times to get the shape right. I used 4 plastic clips to hold the plastic mesh in place.

Step 5. Finish putting it together. I put it on the tank and filled it with water. Then I clipped the light from my CPR AQUAFuge to my ATS. On my tank I have a fuge and ATS. You could clip the light to anything; back of tank, you could clip it to the tank canopy if you have one. Then plug in the pump. Make sure the pump has water in it to start it.
http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/imagehosting/30994c671d82c10db.jpg

I seeded my screen with hair algae I had in the tank. Just rubbed the hair algae on the plastic screen (you don't have to do this). Within 3 days the screen was turning green and red. I rubbed the red algae (cyno algae) off with my finger. After a month I was having to clean the screen with my hand twice a week. I am getting a lot of growth. From most threads that I’ve read, people clean their screen once a week. They use spoons, old credit cards, plastic algae scrappers.

Happy reefing,

imsosalty
08-14-2010, 03:19 PM
http://www.uberfrags.net/forums/showthread.php?3412-DIY-Turf-scrubber

how to work into your sump!!!

laffingcrow
08-17-2010, 08:57 PM
Hey Rob,
Great job on the modded AC70... I still have my AC110 on the floor:shocked:
When I plugged it in I felt it made too much noise... IDK if it needs a new impeller or just needs to run awhile after being dry.

Question??? It looks like you have good flow over the top of the screen, did you do anything special or does the water flow over and around OR through the mesh?

Also... I learned some new ATS info while at Birch Aquarium behind the scenes... Fernando (Marine Biologist that takes care of thier displays and gave our tour) says that the algae does put some compounds back into the water that can limit stony coral growth and says we should skim or at least run carbon. I told him I have amazing growth and he was very diplomatic and said I shouldn't change what I'm doing but I have been running carbon since my electrocution incident. (all is OK... some bleaching but all OK now)

I also recently picked up a frag and a sponge from another local reefer who is also a Marine Biologist that has woked with algae for cancer research who thought running carbon or skimming is good because of many compounds within the algae. (not knowing of any specific bad ones but aware)
I'm still not skimming because all the good stuff that gets left in but am going to add one in my upgrade just for emergencies.

...and yes still working on the upgrade... 2nd frag rack is on the front glass :lol: ...this time a 20 gal. sump with verticle ATS like the link in the previous post ^ (imsosalty) and red / white / blue LEDs for the ATS. Lots to do to the new stand and plenty of procrastination, not to mention helping my GF prep and move into new condo.

Confound
08-17-2010, 11:41 PM
Following this thread! Please keep us updated with pics. I'm not going to lie this sounds legitimate.

supaboy1981
08-17-2010, 11:49 PM
Sooooo going to do this with my current aquaclear diy fuge

Pure Magic79
08-18-2010, 07:59 AM
Brian, thanks for the kind words. Here are a couple of things that I’ve found.

When I plugged it in I felt it made too much noise... IDK if it needs a new impeller or just needs to run awhile after being dry.
I wouldn't plug a pump in while it is dry. Could you test it in a bucket with tap water? Let it run for a minute or two fully submerged. If it is still loud/ making a grinding sound. Just take an old tooth brush and clean the pump housing where the impeller goes. You know the drill if the above works or doesn't. Please let me know if this helps you.

About skimming, if I run a skimmer it does not get anything. Even if I run the skimmer full blast. My ATS and corals I hope are sucking up the entire excess gunk that a traditional skimmer system usually gets. Can’t even use a skimmer even if I wanted to.

About carbon, I've had bad experiences with carbon and reefs. Carbon is great to start a new reef tank. Carbon is outstanding for fresh water tanks. I've found carbon and established reef tanks with softies/ zoas is not great. Running carbon especially if you change it out about every two weeks (like you’re supposed to do) will strip your water of trace elements and even iodine. In the past when I did run carbon my zoas melted after about 2 months. Some people are successful with it. I will never use carbon for my reef. Will save it for my turtle tank. This is highly debatable, I know. SPS dominant tanks use it and get great results. If peeps believe in it, use it. Just passing on what my results were.

About my ATS flow, I am getting awesome flow over my mesh due to I cut the top of the media basket of the AQUA clear off. The mesh just sits flush againist where the water is coming into the main ATS chamber.

The ATS that I am running took me three tries to get it right since our last conversation. I had to tweak the cutting the mesh just right and cutting the media basket. My results are amazing.

Can't wait to see your upgraded ATS Brian. Those LEDs sound sick. Always look forward to hearing from you.

Pure Magic79
08-18-2010, 08:08 AM
Following this thread! Please keep us updated with pics. I'm not going to lie this sounds legitimate.
I am getting great results with this system on my frag tank.

Sooooo going to do this with my current aquaclear diy fuge
Not ready yet to put an ATS on my show tank. I run a traditional system on it. If I had an algae problem I may try it but I don't. Different systems work on different tanks.
Still experimenting with my ATS. I've heard you don't have to do water changes, no algae. Don't know if this is true. Most I've pushed my ATS out to is 2 weeks. I didn't have any nitrates and my phosphats was reading near 0 ppm. I still have a little bit of hair algae too but I do over feed my tank. Will see in another month.

Good luck with your ATS supa. Please let us know how it is going.

laffingcrow
08-18-2010, 12:10 PM
Rob,
Sorry for the confusion... I didn't run it dry, I ran it with fresh water in it. I mean sometimes after a pump has been dry for awhile they take a awhile to settle in and run quietly like when new.

..."Confound Following this thread! Please keep us updated with pics. I'm not going to lie this sounds legitimate."

totally legit... the hardest part is the DIY getting the flow right and the light right... lots of confused peeps, lots of knowitalls... and for every one I've seen they have done something wrong... wrong light... not enough flow... not scraping etc.
I'll post some updated growth pics in "my tank" in my signature... maybe tonight?...
I know I do things in an unconventional way sometimes :shocked: but I came into this with an open mind and only after some success started to add to my collection slowly. ...
So far the only hitch has been my before mentioned "electrocution incident" which set things back a few weeks.... and my poor RO/DI system which caused some phosphate issues once scripps shut down. Otherwise I now have to upgrade to make room.
Thanks,
Brian

supaboy1981
08-18-2010, 02:12 PM
Did you alter the flow at all on the 70?

Pure Magic79
08-18-2010, 07:04 PM
Did you alter the flow at all on the 70?

The pump or AQUA Clear housing did not get modified. In order to make the flow better I cut the media basket from where the holes/ mesh is on the side. Just cut from the top part of the mesh off. Then the plastic mesh from walmart sits flush against the main chamber. Just used the clips to hold it in place. It gets great flow now. Let me know if you need anything else.

supaboy1981
08-18-2010, 08:23 PM
I am getting great results with this system on my frag tank.

Not ready yet to put an ATS on my show tank. I run a traditional system on it. If I had an algae problem I may try it but I don't. Different systems work on different tanks.
Good luck with your ATS supa. Please let us know how it is going.

I dont have a algae problem I have a bit of a cyno problem, how does the turf scrubber work against that??

I have diatom algae but that's normal and I wouldn't call it a problem

Pure Magic79
08-18-2010, 08:55 PM
I dont have a algae problem I have a bit of a cyno problem, how does the turf scrubber work against that??

I have diatom algae but that's normal and I wouldn't call it a problem
ATS sucks up the excess nutrients from your tank in the form of algae growth on your ATS mesh. In other words, you are just giving algae that would be growing in your tank a better place to growth on your mesh in your ATS. The conditions in the ATS are more attractive for algae growth with the high flow and excessive light. You will starve the cyno in your tank.

To my surprise when my FRAG tank and ATS cycled the last stage had cyno growing in my tank for about 2 weeks. I manually removed it and haven’t seen any since.

supaboy1981
08-20-2010, 08:18 PM
I wandered around wal mart today for a good hour looking for that stupid mesh. The one in oceanside does not have it but I got everything else

laffingcrow
08-20-2010, 08:41 PM
I wandered around wal mart today for a good hour looking for that stupid mesh. The one in oceanside does not have it but I got everything else

Try Michaels craft store... it is needle point mesh and be sure to ask if you can't find it. It comes in colors (color does not matter) and I think it is a 13 size mesh. larger over smaller if you have options and be sure to rough it up like a cactus just like the algaeturfscrubber web site suggests... use a hole saw if you have one... I've tried many ways of roughing it up and the hole saw is best. (I think there is a video on the ATS website)
Brian

supaboy1981
08-20-2010, 09:06 PM
whats a hole saw?

laffingcrow
08-20-2010, 09:39 PM
whats a hole saw?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hole_saw

Many come with interchangeable circular "hole cutters" that can be hand held to rough up the plastic screen as described on algaescrubber.net.
I tried very rough sand paper, dremel tool and found that my hole saw just as described worked better.
The reason you want to rough up the screen is in the beginning few weeks you want the screen to "catch" as much algae that flows through and over the screen.
... and be prepared for your screen to take up to 5 weeks before it will control all of the nutrients in your system and that's only if you have enough light and water flow... two very important details.

If you don't know anyone with a hole saw... then bring your screen over and you can use mine... it will take 20 min.

supaboy1981
08-20-2010, 09:48 PM
Can I just stand on it and do pirouettes on the pavement then wash it in ro/di water before the install?

supaboy1981
08-20-2010, 09:50 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hole_saw

Many come with interchangeable circular "hole cutters" that can be hand held to rough up the plastic screen as described on algaescrubber.net.
I tried very rough sand paper, dremel tool and found that my hole saw just as described worked better.
The reason you want to rough up the screen is in the beginning few weeks you want the screen to "catch" as much algae that flows through and over the screen.
... and be prepared for your screen to take up to 5 weeks before it will control all of the nutrients in your system and that's only if you have enough light and water flow... two very important details.

If you don't know anyone with a hole saw... then bring your screen over and you can use mine... it will take 20 min.

If you have enough light and flow, I will have enough light and flow. My setup is pretty much the exact same as yours. Same light from walmart and everything

laffingcrow
08-20-2010, 10:14 PM
Can I just stand on it and do pirouettes on the pavement then wash it in ro/di water before the install?

Yes to pirouettes ;)
Believe it or not it will probably do a good job!? never thought of it...
and only a quick rinse in tap water is fine and pat dry.

supaboy1981
08-20-2010, 10:43 PM
Yes to pirouettes ;)
Believe it or not it will probably do a good job!? never thought of it...
and only a quick rinse in tap water is fine and pat dry.

I am king of cheap workarounds, stick with me kid I'll learn ya!

supaboy1981
08-21-2010, 05:08 PM
So I picked up a sheet from michaels for 54 cents, they didn't have 13 but they did have 14 and 7. So I opted for the 7 since you said bigger holes are better. I also went with stone ware blue cause they were out of white. Lol

Pure Magic79
08-21-2010, 06:41 PM
So I picked up a sheet from michaels for 54 cents, they didn't have 13 but they did have 14 and 7. So I opted for the 7 since you said bigger holes are better. I also went with stone ware blue cause they were out of white. Lol
That is weird that Walmart didn't have it. Glad you found it. I used just regular general purpose sand paper to rough my screen up. Took me about 10 minutes on each side.

Keep charging ahead.

supaboy1981
08-22-2010, 12:16 AM
Finally finished putting the finishing touches on it. I actually cut the top part of the aquaclear to put over the return flow chamber (not the side the has the screen) to minimize any splashing noises or splash on the the clip on light.

Does the screen absolutely have to be right on the water level or can it be a slight bit under?

Shoot I just noticed I didnt cut the media basket low enough, should I cut it or do you think I will be alright, it seems to have a good amount of flow? Or is more flow better?

laffingcrow
08-22-2010, 09:03 AM
More flow is better and keep the screen at the surface as much as possible.
With more flow across the algae the ATS works better than a refugium... if the screen is too far under water then it is more like a regular refugium and the growth is not as good.

supaboy1981
08-22-2010, 10:09 AM
Alright I just cut the top off and the flow seems better, I am sure once a film develops over the screen in a few days it will be even better.

Here are the pics

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/supaboy1981/fish%20stuff/P8220184.jpg

this pic you can see the half cut cover to prevent splash
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/supaboy1981/fish%20stuff/P8220186.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/supaboy1981/fish%20stuff/P8220183.jpg

Pure Magic79
08-22-2010, 11:58 AM
Alright I just cut the top off and the flow seems better, I am sure once a film develops over the screen in a few days it will be even better.

Looks great Supa. You did an awesome job. The flow looks really good. I really like the way you cut the top of the Aqua Clear to just cover the inlet side. Will do that too. Thank you for the idea. Please keep us posted.

supaboy1981
08-22-2010, 12:56 PM
Thinking about super glue the mesh to the spout part of the filter, I dont know if I like those clips being visible at the top of my tank

supaboy1981
08-22-2010, 12:58 PM
It also gives me a good spot to put my grounding probe and digital therm probe

Pure Magic79
08-22-2010, 01:09 PM
Thinking about super glue the mesh to the spout part of the filter, I dont know if I like those clips being visible at the top of my tank
The clips make it easy to take the mesh screen out and clean it. I have to clean mine twice a week. If you glue it you will have to clean it in place on the Aqua Clear. It will make a mess in your tank. I don't recommend it. See if you can find smaller clips for the top. Make sure the new clips don't have metal in them.

laffingcrow
08-22-2010, 02:53 PM
Looks good supaboy, great pics...

Is that a fan directly above the ATS? (the pink clip)
Any possibility of moving your light directly above the ATS as close as possible to the screen with out getting it wet??? ... and moving the fan?

This bears repeating... YOU KNOW that it takes 4-5 weeks to grow enough algae to start functioning @ 100% ?????????????
...and that means you will have scraped 1/2 of the screen each 5-7 days alternating so that you have some algae on the screen doing the work.................
..................and to rinse all of the screen in fresh water to kill off (excess) copepods each time you scrape it. If you start getting circular holes where the algae does not seem to be growing it is actually harvest circles from the copepods munching down. You don't want the copepods munching algae in your ATS and don't worry they come back in the millions the next day... you just can't see them.

Also, look inside those clips.... there may be a small plastic (clip) inside the larger clip acting as a spring that may work to hold the screen down to the lip of the housing?...and is not as noticable or that will shade a part of the screen.
Brian

supaboy1981
08-22-2010, 08:37 PM
do I clean one side of the screen? or 1/2 of the screen both sides every week?

laffingcrow
08-23-2010, 07:38 AM
If you only light the screen from one side, don't worry about the back.
Then scrape 1/2 of the screen each week or 4-5 days.
The idea is to have 50% working while 50% is recovering from the harvest.(harvested algae = nutrient export)

supaboy1981
09-22-2010, 11:16 PM
Ok so I scrape around every week half of the screen. Its pretty covered in both algae and a bit of cyno. I have noticed that the Diatom Algae in my tank has pretty much disappeared, I use my mag float maybe once every week and a half as opposed to every few days.

I have noticed I still have a bit of a cyno problem though. I was thinking of taking the maxi jet off the skimmer and using it for better flow along my sand bed. The skimmer isnt doing anything now but providing flow anyway.

Thoughts?

Pure Magic79
09-23-2010, 06:57 AM
Ok so I scrape around every week half of the screen. Its pretty covered in both algae and a bit of cyno. I have noticed that the Diatom Algae in my tank has pretty much disappeared, I use my mag float maybe once every week and a half as opposed to every few days.

I have noticed I still have a bit of a cyno problem though. I was thinking of taking the maxi jet off the skimmer and using it for better flow along my sand bed. The skimmer isnt doing anything now but providing flow anyway.

Thoughts?
ALRIGHT! Your ATS is maturing nicely. So now you get rid of the skimmer. I found that it is always better to scrape half the side away from the inlet side. If you see diatom algae growing on your screen, go ahead and rub it off.

Congrats on your ATS working for you.

BTW. I haven't done a water change in a month:lol: Parameters are still awesome!

laffingcrow
09-23-2010, 12:19 PM
The cyano is also the last to go away... part of the cycle.
Better flow always helps.

supaboy1981
09-23-2010, 01:28 PM
Any one have the mounting suction cups for a maxi jet?

supaboy1981
09-26-2010, 02:18 PM
OK got the Skimmer out, and my tank is now whisper quiet. You dont realize how much noise a skimmer makes until its gone.

FLow is 10x better should see a decrease in cyno fairly soon.

Also scraped the screen tons of green gooey Algae, I think it might be working!

619andyp
03-12-2011, 05:17 PM
Just made one of these to go on a 20g frag tank I just set up. Used the Aquaclear surface skimmer attachment. This will be the only filtration on the tank.

They did not carry the needle point mesh stuff at the Wal-Mart near me anymore. They did have some at Micheal's for fifty cents a sheet.

Thanks for making this thread Rob!

supaboy1981
03-12-2011, 05:29 PM
Thinking of putting my skimmer back on, with my new leds its hard to get to the screen to clean it and with no lid the filter drips water out of the top.

I also think it may be robbing my tank of all the trace elements and slowing my growth. Anyone think I am crazy?

619andyp
03-12-2011, 06:37 PM
I have heard of others who also think the ATS maybe filtering too much of the "good stuff" out.

supaboy1981
03-12-2011, 09:36 PM
I have heard of others who also think the ATS maybe filtering too much of the "good stuff" out.

I use reef crystals and dont dose so I hear this guy may be doing more good than bad, I still have a few small patches of hair algae and I use a fine sand so the if any gets into the impeller it makes alot of noise. I am going to be removing my canister filter this weekend and replace with a higher gph closed loop with a scwd on it for more alternating flow. I'll see how that works for a few weeks and then make a decision on the skimmer

laffingcrow
03-18-2011, 09:56 AM
supaboy1981... Do you still have any nuisance algae?
How many gal. is your set up? How big is your ATS screen?
I'm concerned that your ATS may be on the small side for your set up.

LEDs too bright?
The idea behind the ATS is giving the "algae that would grow in your tank" a better place to grow because of better light and flow.
BUT if you run super bright LEDs... would you then need more light on the ATS for it to work better??
I don't know but when I upgrade I am going to use brighter LEDs on my ATS and will know more then.

Also I read somewhere that the ATS removes Iodide which zoos need and I dose for that.
I also dose essential elements but can't compare growth rates because I've only ever run an ATS.
If you do not dose,... then you must keep up on the water changes so that your "reef crystals" keep the recommended amounts of "stuff" in the water.

What other good stuff are you referring to?
Just some thoughts and questions
Brian

supaboy1981
03-19-2011, 02:05 PM
Actualy my film algae went down and everything opened up nicely. Main reasom for taking it off is beause it would drip over and with my new led lights it was hard to clean the screen without removing the whole hood. And yes i was reffering to the iodide which softies like xenia and zoos use as well as shrimps. The final straw that broke the camels back was that the pump would shut off and i had to disassemble it, clean it and the restart it only to have it stop again a week or so later.

My setup was a 20 gal and i think it did help my water quality but i did end up with a few small patchez of hair algae in the main tank.

For now im going back to my remora until i change my entire setup for something bigger