PDA

View Full Version : Fwiw

junkie
08-01-2010, 03:03 PM
Sanding out acrylic tanks BLOWS! Especially the small openings, I have banged the **** out of my arms, and breaking a serious sweat, now I know why pros are asking so much to do it. I'm starting to think it's worth it. Anyone got any pointers on this awful D.I.Y.

ocean1
08-01-2010, 06:49 PM
I the same machine I wax my truck with. Keep the RPM's down and keep it moving use plenty of polish. I had one hot spot that looked a little funny but I sanded it down more and re polished it was fine. Practice on a seperate peice of acrylic make a few scratches and practice. Its not bad. By hand now thats another story!

drainbamage
08-01-2010, 07:56 PM
Sanding out acrylic tanks BLOWS! Especially the small openings, I have banged the **** out of my arms, and breaking a serious sweat, now I know why pros are asking so much to do it. I'm starting to think it's worth it. Anyone got any pointers on this awful D.I.Y.

That's why I stopped my love afair with acrylic and now buy glass. Inferior but easier to deal with.

Acefspds
08-02-2010, 09:54 AM
Keep it wet and take your time. :shocked:

saltwater760
08-04-2010, 09:14 AM
take your time the kit from marinedepot you can use it when fish and corals and water is in it super easy and fast. did my 60 in like 2 hours took out some serious scratches

davocean
08-04-2010, 12:45 PM
I did this once...once!
My tip?
MGM plastics, $1 a gallon, $$ well spent IMO, your elbows will thank you.

junkie
08-06-2010, 07:48 PM
1 dollar a gallon!!! I wish they gave me that deal! The guy at MGM wanted $350 to do my 75 gallon tank. Well I finished the inside last weekend, and it turned out GREAT. There were only two real small gouges that I couldn't get all the way out, but they are below where the sand will be. Now i'm mid way through the outside, and oh man is it way easier!!! One question, would it be redundent to sylicone the seams of the tank? (More for peace of mind than anything else)

Techknowledgy
08-06-2010, 08:14 PM
Save the silicone. I use a small vibrating sander and it worked great. A pain for sure, but it worked. I wish they made a machine that could work on the inside of the tank while there is water in it. Must be a way. Any DIY Gods out there that want to think on this one?

kthehun89
08-06-2010, 08:52 PM
Keep it wet and take your time. :shocked:

mmm hey now

junkie
08-06-2010, 09:28 PM
Sylicone is for extra seal on seams. Not in regards of tough sanding spots. Sorry I should have explained more. Looking at the seams it just makes me nervous, the only thing holding water in is the glue connecting the acrylic. I know that it will hold water, but was wondering if it would be worth it to sylicone them. Kind of double up? Thanks for all the info!!! And I'm most definatly keeping it wet and taking my time!

drainbamage
08-06-2010, 09:50 PM
Sylicone is for extra seal on seams. Not in regards of tough sanding spots. Sorry I should have explained more. Looking at the seams it just makes me nervous, the only thing holding water in is the glue connecting the acrylic. I know that it will hold water, but was wondering if it would be worth it to sylicone them. Kind of double up? Thanks for all the info!!! And I'm most definatly keeping it wet and taking my time!

Acrylic construction uses a solvent, not a glue, so in fact your seems are actually the strongest points on the tank. If you try and break the tank, the flat panels will snap before the seams do as they have essentially become one piece of thick material.
So yea, save the silicone, won't do ya any good, and considering it doesn't stick too well to acrylic, save your tanks cleanliness after all the energy you're putting into it.

davocean
08-07-2010, 07:41 AM
^^ Totally agree.
MGM may have given you a higher # due to gouges.
If they don't think they can make perfect, they tend to not want to touch it, and give a high #.
I usually tell people to have just 3 sides or face done, cause they will price all panels, even bottom.