PDA

View Full Version : Chauvet SF-4005 or CurrentSea Wavemaker reviews, anyone using?

JohnnyAirtime
07-19-2010, 11:18 AM
Hello all,

I was looking to see if anyone has used, or has a review on the above mentioned. I know they are the same unit, one for considerably less $$ (I found it for $24.99).

Can't beat that kind of price, unless it chews up powerhead life due to no "soft start" feature (at least it's not mentioned)... and for 4 powerheads!

Ideas, thoughts, concerns?! Let me know!

JohnnyAirtime
07-28-2010, 08:39 AM
Hello all,

I was looking to see if anyone has used, or has a review on the above mentioned. I know they are the same unit, one for considerably less $$ (I found it for $24.99).

Can't beat that kind of price, unless it chews up powerhead life due to no "soft start" feature (at least it's not mentioned)... and for 4 powerheads!

Ideas, thoughts, concerns?! Let me know!

Come on... nobody has experience or comments?!:confused2: Hard to believe!

JohnnyAirtime
08-03-2010, 01:05 PM
Well, since nobody replied... here's my quick unprofessional and limited detail review ;)

I put the SF-4005 in, and tried it with several powerhead combinations, mostly Koralias. I'm using it on a 6' long 125gal tank, stocked and stuffed with live rock and softie corals, mushrooms...etc.

I ended up using two Koralia 750s, one at each end of the tank. Both pointed a tad bit towards the front Acrylic. (I tried more powerful powerheads, and it was just too much movement, as well as smaller units... and not enough movement). The Evolution 750 was the perfect match for me.

I set the SF-4005 to it's slower mode (timer), as the speed is variable from 2-15minutes. I set it for 2 minutes, and it's just about perfect. Alternating each powerhead for the 2 minutes each, gets the water moving from each end of the tank. I initially thought it'd be too long of a duration, but after trying the "chase" mode and using it's slowest timing it was still too fast (alternating more like every 2 seconds). And even though it gave the tank more of a current wave, similar to ocean current... the Koralias had a start-up "clunk" noise. In the timer mode of 2minutes, there is no noise from the Koralias.

So, for $46 in powerheads, and $50 for the Chauvet... I've got one of the cheapest wavemakers (able to control 4 powerheads) I think known. All for just under a $100 bucks.

:bounce:

BTW, I bought two of the Chauvets... since they are discontinued and hard to get at the old prices ($30). I thought if it worked great, I'd keep the other as backup. Instead, I might put it up on the 'for sale' section and see if I can get my money back out of it. It cost me $55 shipped (if anyone's interested).