PDA

View Full Version : Tank Raised True Percula Clowns

itchyrich
06-26-2005, 05:59 PM
NOTE: I am reviving a 10 year old thread from an Original SDReefs Oldschool member who recently passed away...this was the thread that reminded me of him. See my last post on this.

Thanks

Mike

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello!!! I'm Rich Hill and have about 300 tank raised clowns left after Paul helped me out last Friday and posted for me, (sold about 30 of them) This makes about 1600 of them I have raised with less than 10 lossed. They are 3/8 to just over 1/2 inch long.
Mom and dad are here and just laid yesterday and I'm going to raise this batch. Anyone interested I sell them for $8.00 each or 2 for $15.00. I have NEVER had a complant about any of my fish sold. If interested call 619 749 4891 or cell 619 279 6670 THANKS and enjoy your tanks....Rich

Agent003
06-26-2005, 06:07 PM
I just got 3 of these today. They are perfect for my nano. Once one gets big enough, it's going in the main with my other clown. Anyone thinking about putting them in with other fish, be careful because these little guys are bite sized :)

Out of curiosity, what have these clowns had for diet? My nano is crawling with pods and they are chowing down on those.

Also, do you know when these guys hatched? It would be awesome to know a fish's birthday.

ThatBastardMike
06-26-2005, 06:21 PM
I picked up three from Rich and they're doing great. He's been feeding them Cyclop-Eeze. The ones I got eat that, as well as smaller bits of frozen brine.

As a side note, I have a question. What would happen if I introduced these true perc babies with an adult female false perc? Would one of the true percs become the dominant male and pair with the false perc?

wanabesalt
06-26-2005, 06:26 PM
hi i am paul that helped rich out..... i picked up 2 of them a week ago and they are doing great in my tank ....i have been feeding them prime reef and cyclops also myasis shrimp.....they are very active and very healthy..........thank,s again ...."rich".

itchyrich
06-26-2005, 06:27 PM
They were hatched 2/14/05 I feed them newley hatched brine...chopped blood worms and cyclopeeze (the best!!):)

itchyrich
06-27-2005, 05:45 AM
I don't think they will if they are at all like Maroon clowns. A white stripe Maroon will not breed with a Gold strip, that much I do know. But I say never say never. I'm sure they will mate up...but reproducing is another thing. So I guess to answer your question, one will turn male and mate up but I don't think they will reproduce.:rolleyes:

Phischy
06-27-2005, 10:59 AM
I thought a 'true perc' meant ocean caught and a 'false perc' meant tank raised. Am I wrong? What's the difference?

I have a false perc that's about 1.5 to 2" long and I'd like to get another, but I don't want it to beat the crap out of the new one and kill it.

Dannyboy
06-27-2005, 11:15 AM
True perc= Percula (Amphiprion percula)
False perc= ocellaris (Amphiprion ocellaris)

Daniel
06-27-2005, 11:20 AM
does anyone have pix of the lil babies they got from itchyrich?

if so please share!! :D

David M
06-27-2005, 11:41 AM
Yes, percula X oscellaris is a viable cross, been done many times. A local guy has a pair like that, I have one of the babies born around Xmas. I have a few hundred osc that size and also gold stripe maroons, so if Rich runs out... :D

David M
06-27-2005, 11:51 AM
Here is the one perc X osc hybrid (center of pic) with some gsm's and pink skunks. Those are 1" standpipes in the background for size comparison. It is not my intention here to step on Rich's thread or compete with him, I do not plan to retail them out one and two at a time and there is no way I'd sell them for $8 so go buy his, that price is a steal. Just thought you'd enjoy the pics :D

greencard
06-27-2005, 03:45 PM
damn....wish i lived in San Diego!

David M
06-27-2005, 05:08 PM
Greencard, there is a breeder close to you I know, I don't think he retails but I'll ask him.

itchyrich
06-27-2005, 05:23 PM
This is the best I could do...

itchyrich
06-27-2005, 05:24 PM
MEET THE PARENTS!!!!:)

David M
06-27-2005, 06:36 PM
That is one BIG mess 'o clowns :D All from one hatch?

wanabesalt
06-27-2005, 06:38 PM
its like a swarm of bees...........looking good {rich}

itchyrich
06-27-2005, 07:50 PM
Yes, they are all from one lay....I call her Miss Piggy!!!

:eek:

tom@kartboy.com
06-27-2005, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by itchyrich
This is the best I could do...

i want that one in the middle.. NO THAT one!

they look so cute! would a pair of those get along with a year and a half old about 2.5" tomato clown? the tank is a 90 gal.

Tom

David M
06-27-2005, 08:13 PM
It is possible but a 4' tank is tad small for that.

Reefkeeper
06-27-2005, 11:38 PM
To drive to Santee or not to drive to Santee that is the question. How long a drive do you think it would be from the RB/Poway area?

How many do you have left currently? I think my wife would probably like to get a pair of clowns and I havent had any in many years.

Any time you are going to be near a LFS such as Octopus Garden, Aquatic Warehouse, or VMA?

Daniel
06-28-2005, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by Reefkeeper
Any time you are going to be near a LFS such as Octopus Garden, Aquatic Warehouse, or VMA? Rich: if you can make the trip to this area, i wouldn't mind picking up 1 or 2 as well :)

mer116
06-28-2005, 12:36 AM
goddamn that's a lot of babies. nice

tayl0r
06-28-2005, 03:14 AM
it's seriously not that far. from the 15/52 freeway junction, it's only like 6 miles.

MAKASHI
06-28-2005, 08:40 AM
i'll pick up a couple:D

Trickman2
06-28-2005, 09:52 AM
Awesome I would love to get some of these. Where are you located again?

MonsterC
06-28-2005, 11:41 AM
Rich, I might take a pair of them.Question, do you have any miss barred ones?I just lost mine and love the odd ones!!!:D Also, since they are from the same family would they still mate up late on???Insest is the best put your sister to the test!!!!!:eek: :eek:

Nick_Kun
06-28-2005, 11:48 AM
Yeah I would love to get some a couple of misbarred ones h Rich PM me if you have any. Haha MonsterC you funny!!!

itchyrich
06-28-2005, 01:19 PM
Santee is only 25 min from Poway. I work in Rancho Bernardo every day!! As for the mis bared ones...there has to be out of 300
I would think. I'll take a hard look and let you know. If you would like some call 619 279 6670 if I don't answer leave a message and I'll return the call.:)

Reefkeeper
06-28-2005, 03:16 PM
Any way you would be willing to meet up before work. I know myself and another member, Trickman2, both live in the RB area and could probably meet up early. It would be no problem to meet you where you work/near there and thus would be no extra driving/mileage for you.

Let me know if you are willing and I can tell you how many to bring up.

Thanks.

Morgman
06-28-2005, 06:15 PM
Not to be a stickler but aren't those ocellaris clowns not percula?

Nice job no matter what species :)

Morgman
06-29-2005, 04:58 PM
Thats cool on your success Rich.
Do you have any close up shots of the pair? Just curious.

How old are those in your growout tank?

thanks--

Morg

gemini
06-29-2005, 05:24 PM
how big of a tank do 2 of those need?
i have a 2.5 soo i was just wondering

David M
06-29-2005, 05:48 PM
how big of a tank do 2 of those need?

Do you know where veal comes from? :rolleyes: Growth, health and vitality of growing baby clownfish is associated with frequent and heavy feeding, generally not consistent with "nanno reef" ideology. If you don't mind your tank turning into an algae ridden nutrient laden mess, you can have them. OR you can starve them and let them waste away as undernourished disease prone fish simply waiting to die. IOW, no, your tank is NOT large enough :D Generally speaking a 10 gallon tank is suggested as the minimum for a healthy pair of perc/ osc clowns.

itchyrich
06-30-2005, 11:53 AM
I BEG to differ!!! My tank in the picture is a 20 Gallon with 300 babie clown fis which have been there for 4 months. It is not a ALGE RIDDEN TANK at all. It's all in how you feed and take care of your tank. Filters..water changes ect....

Reefkeeper
06-30-2005, 12:02 PM
Psst...He was refering to a 2.5gallon nano and stated that a 10 gallon or larger was fine.

wanabesalt
06-30-2005, 02:06 PM
ocellaris clowns are a faded orange and you cant always go by pictures there are variables to camera lighting.....you need to see the clown,s in person. over at rich,s house
thank,s

Dannyboy
06-30-2005, 02:07 PM
Not to be a stickler but aren't those ocellaris clowns not percula? They are Ocellaris. True percs are very bright orange. The parents look nothing like true percs. They are almost a reddish color instead of a bright orange and do not have thick black bars at all. You can barely see the black. These are true percs

wanabesalt
06-30-2005, 02:32 PM
your right about that dannyboy.................iyll have to do some more reading on the percula my self...... but they are cool little clown,s

jthornley
06-30-2005, 02:48 PM
I agree that the ones being sold look like Amphiprion Ocellaris. But the fact is that these fish are way cheaper than you can buy them anywhere else... I paid like 30$ for my two from a different dealer.

Examples of Amphiprion Percula:
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=142
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=756
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=1854

Examples of Amphiprion Ocellaris:
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=137
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=1114

David M
06-30-2005, 04:14 PM
You will never tell by looking at the juvies, you have to look at the adults. One good indicator would be size alone, if the female is over 2-1/2" it is probably not a perc, but if 2-1/2 or less it could just be a small oscellaris. So that is not final. You can count dorsal spines and pectoral rays to get a better idea also. Sometimes they can be distinguished by the eye ring, but none of these are absolute. The point is that the species can be very difficult to differentiate. What does that mean? It means that it really does not matter to the average hobbyist looking for some nice, healthy captive bred fish for his reef or fish tank. It only matters if you want to breed them or if you are paying retail rice for percula and getting oscellaris. In this case you are paying well under market for either species, so what differance does it make??? :D

David M
06-30-2005, 04:22 PM
I BEG to differ!!! My tank in the picture is a 20 Gallon with 300 babie clown fis which have been there for 4 months. It is not a ALGE RIDDEN TANK at all. It's all in how you feed and take care of your tank. Filters..water changes ect....

Yes I have grow out tanks too but I seriously doubt anyone wants to put the time and effort that is required to keep them clean into their nanno reef display. As to water quality, how long to think an sps coral would last in the grow out tank? :rolleyes: The two are really not comaprable at all I was assumimng the fish would live, which means they will soon be 2-3". Two adult fish that size propperly fed will quickly pollute a 2.5 gallon tank.

Oh, and as for "It is not a ALGE RIDDEN TANK at all."', what is all that green stuff in the pic?? :D

Morgman
06-30-2005, 04:42 PM
Dannyboy your picture is a perfect example of Amphiprion percula. Notice the bright YELLOW outer ring around they eye. This is the easiest way to id percula from A. ocellaris.

Wannabe-- Your pic is an A. ocellaris. See how the eye is dirty brownish orange around the outer ring of the eye. This is a tell tale sign of ocellaris. Look up to Dannyboy's pic and you can see how the outer portion of the eye on percula is very clear and not muddy looking like ocellaris. This is the perfect example why Amphiprion ocellaris should never be reffered to as, PERCULA CLOWN.

Agent003
06-30-2005, 06:38 PM
I now have 3 of the babies which have been deemed Oscellaris and a larger Percula. I was planning on making 2 pairs out of these 4 fish. Will an Oscellaris pair up with a Percula?

David M
06-30-2005, 09:37 PM
I have sold theses babies from the same mom & dad for 2 years to 6 different fish outlets from N.Y. To South Carolina To San Diego and ALL say they are true perculas.

Those retailers are not breeders, they would not have the slightest clue :rolleyes: but it would be in their commercial interest to call them percs :D Have you swapped any with recongnized breeders who make the same claim? As I said above it does not matter for the average hobbyist but you really should know what you are selling, considering that you didn't even know the scientific name for the species before this thread I honestly think you might just consider that there are people who may possibly know just a tad more about this. Get off the "they are percs" soapbox and push the fact that they are healthy, captive bred clowns :cool:

BTW, IMHO they are osc :D The chances of a hobby breeder raising 3-400 perc from one nest are astronomical, proffessional breeders dream of that.

mer116
06-30-2005, 10:45 PM
sorry to burst your bubble but those babies look like ocellaris to me.

that saltwaterfish.com info/pics about perculas is all messed up. the liveaquaria pics are accurate.

you got a better pic of the parents?

Trickman2
07-01-2005, 06:39 AM
Hey guys, Lay off the guy a little he is new to this board and you guys are already jumping down his throat. Also think about that he is selling some decent looking captive bred clowns. Anyways, I think we should all play nice.

David M
07-01-2005, 07:09 AM
"Percula clowns are SMALLER reaching only about 2 1/2 inches. "My female is 7 years old and about 2" long if that!

I think you will note I mentioned this above. That is very good, finally you referenced someone who actually know's something :D That is a very good indication that they really are percs :cool: Not carved in stone, but a good indicator :D Congrats!!

Dannyboy
07-01-2005, 07:57 AM
I'm not at all trying to say that your fish are not healthy, or trying to say that they are not worth it. You have a bunch or very healthy looking fish that are worth every penny you're asking. You can call them whatever the hell you want to call them, but if I was looking for a TRUE PERCULA, yours are far from it. Why dont you come into Pet Kingdom a day that I'm working and I'll show you the difference. In my 37gal display there and I have 2 TRUE PERCS, and it's a BIG difference from what you are offering. You know what, have you ever sold to us? I remember about 2 months back a guy came in with about 20(what he called true percs) and we bought them. Of course we all knew the difference so we labeled them Ocellaris, but they were very beautiful fish.

SHROOM
07-01-2005, 08:03 AM
Is this a "finding NEMO" thread?

Anyway, your "perc", "osc" look nice. I want 4 of them as soon as my 60G FO cycles

thanks.

SHROOM
07-01-2005, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by yolo_062004
Based on my Disney reference manual, they are True Nemo Clowns. I compared them agains a stuffed one I picked up recently in Aneheim and they are exactly alike. Mine are slightly redder, but as I feed them frozen brine, they should orange up like my painted blood parrot cichlids...

Thank you very much, I'll be here all week.

Pixar Animation Studios says their NEMO is true and the Disney version is false.

:D

Morgman
07-01-2005, 10:56 AM
Rich--

I think this thread has gotten off on the wrong foot.

I comence you on your clowns breeding. Being a fellow breeder I just noticed that your pair and juvs all looked like ocellaris clowns. That is all. I have raised many types of clowns and know that Amphiprion percula won't have a tail strip that quickly. In fact I have a clutch of juveniles(percula) that are one day older than your ocellaris and none of them have tail stripes yet.

The good thing is breeding ocellaris is a smarter because they are quicker to growout and will always sell. So you should give yourself props for having such a health pair of ocellaris clowns.

The price you get from the store is basically the same for perc/ocellaris so you are much better off with ocellaris. If these were perculas you would be stuck with hundreds of perculas from November that still have not grown out their tail stripes, much like I have. Oh and most stores dont care if they are percula or ocellaris they can sell all of them. Excluding some of the onyx marked perculas,which fetch a higher price.

Best of luck and keep up the hard work,

Morgan

jthornley
07-01-2005, 11:22 AM
Morgman,

Thanks... I've been wanting to say something along those lines too. Rich has done a great job on doing what other people fail to do; tank raise a brood of very healthy and cool looking fish.

I'm just glad someone is doing it as I really hate buying "wild" fish.

----------------------------------------------------

Rich,

Sorry we have bothered you so much and thank you for the opportunity to purchase some really great fish for a really great price.

Phischy
07-01-2005, 12:48 PM
I'll buy one once I get around to getting out to Santee. I've got one False right now and it needs a buddy.

MarLooney
07-01-2005, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by itchyrich
...why don't you leave your un educated conments to yourself!:p

yeah, WTH does David M know about clowns anyway? i bet he just saw Finding Nemo and now he thinks he's an expert :rolleyes:.

Rich, word of advice... relax. you have too many ppl against you. there's no shame in raising false percs. you seem to be doing a great job at it. everyone who gets clowns from you seems to be more than satisfied w/ their purchases.

David, i still owe ya a couple tanks. hopefully next week... i know... i say that every week =T.

David M
07-01-2005, 03:58 PM
yeah, WTH does David M know about clowns anyway? i bet he just saw Finding Nemo and now he thinks he's an expert .

Saw it TWICE !! :D

David, i still owe ya a couple tanks. hopefully next week... i know...

Oh boy, it's gonna be great to finally have my own fish :D Is salt water hard?

nalbar
07-02-2005, 06:46 PM
what a beautiful job itchyrich! i am sooo jealous. my clowns lay all the time but i leave the eggs in and they get taken.

GREAT JOB!

dont let the nay-sayers bother you. this place is loaded with jealously that the owners can only relieve by demeaning others. i think it's mainly the result of poor potty training.

again, great job!

nalbar

Morgman
07-02-2005, 10:38 PM
Here are some pics of 3 month old perculas.

Check out the missing tail bars. This tail bar can take 9 months plus for perculas to grow into. This is of course in captivity.

swissfish
07-02-2005, 11:21 PM
why don't we cook one of each up and see if they taste the same?

BTW :

Happy b-day America!

itchyrich
07-03-2005, 06:58 AM
Anyone who wants some clowns I'll be home all day today Sunday.. My phone # is
619 279 6670

My name is Rich, they are $8.00 each or a pair for $15.00.
The price will go up in a week or so as they get bigger. Thanks for all the nice conments, itchyrich

Yolo
02-15-2017, 01:23 PM
NOTE: THIS IS A VERY OLD THREAD - NOT An ACTIVE POST

Although this Thread has some typical "bad" etiquette, I wanted to post out that I just found out that Rich passed away this last December. I met him on this board when I purchased some of these clowns. I bought and sold him a couple tanks, and he went fishing with my group annually.

He was a super nice guy.

RIP

m