PDA

View Full Version : difference between normal MH and HQI?

tayl0r
06-26-2005, 12:07 AM
I am trying to research the different types of aquarium lighting and one thing I can not figure out is what HQI means.

I have seen IceCap 400w electronic MH ballasts for sale for $200, but an IceCap 175w HQI/MH ballast is $209.

What makes HQI so much better than it is the same price for less than half the watts?

I have a 48in x 18in tank and I want to maximize the lighting. I was tempted to just get all power compacts because they seem to be the best value, but I would like more watts than that. Metal Halide, while more expensive, takes up less space. I can always make more money, but my space is limited.

treylane
06-26-2005, 06:37 AM
HQI = Mercury (Hg)-Quartz-Iodide (I think)

and HQI lights are bright bright bright!

A good 250w HQI setup is as bright as a good 400w standard halide setup.

tayl0r
06-26-2005, 09:21 AM
got it, thanks.

Dakota
06-26-2005, 10:17 AM
HQIs use pendants which reflect all of their light in a smaller area (usually 2 x 2), where as Single Ended are more spread out. This will, then, allow a 250W HQI to appear brighter. If you enclose a Single ended bulb in a pendant, you would get a similar effect. They say, however, that the HQIs design (double ended) allows for a brighter burn, but I don't know if that is fact or not.

mer116
06-26-2005, 02:09 PM
let's not make any sweeping generalizations here. each ballast and bulb combination produces a different amount of light.

fortunately sanjay has put in a lot of effort in testing each bulb and ballast configuration. let's put it to use

click here to compare ballast and bulbs (http://www.reeflightinginfo.arvixe.com/select2lamp.php)

tayl0r
06-26-2005, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by mer116
let's not make any sweeping generalizations here. each ballast and bulb combination produces a different amount of light.

fortunately sanjay has put in a lot of effort in testing each bulb and ballast configuration. let's put it to use

click here to compare ballast and bulbs (http://www.reeflightinginfo.arvixe.com/select2lamp.php) That form doesn't work for me. It doesn't fill in the Lamp Type when you choose a wattage and Manufacturer.

The only section of the site I could get to work is the Performance Data by Ballast.

mer116
06-26-2005, 03:04 PM
what bulb/wattage/brand were you looking at? seems to work fine for me

tayl0r
06-26-2005, 06:23 PM
I tried tons of combinations, the LampType never gets filled in.

It says:

Lamp Watts: 175
Lamp Manuf. Aqualine Buschke
Lamp Type: Select a Lamp Type (dropdown box has no other options)
Lamp Name: LampName (dropdown box has no other options)
Ballast: BallstName (dropdown box has no other options)
Shielded: Shielded

What are you selecting for watts / manuf?

edit: I can get it to work on the other pages, just not the one where you compare the 2 lamps.

Trickman2
06-26-2005, 08:37 PM
Had the same problem use internet explorer to do it.

tayl0r
06-26-2005, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by Trickman2
Had the same problem use internet explorer to do it. ah, should have known.

thanks