PDA

View Full Version : In-tank refugium

pk-sd
06-25-2005, 10:56 PM
I was thinking of adding a small in-tank refugium in grow some macro algae. I have a 16g tank. Will I be able to grow enough macro algae to make any difference (reducing nutrients) in my main tank ?

Thanks
PK

refugium (http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=CR1711)

http://www.marinedepot.com/IMD/150/CR1711.jpg

suver569
06-26-2005, 12:26 AM
Should be plenty on a 16 gallon.

pisces
06-26-2005, 06:24 AM
What about using a HOB aquaclear as a fuge? Wouldn't take up any room inside the tank.

pk-sd
06-26-2005, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by pisces
What about using a HOB aquaclear as a fuge? Wouldn't take up any room inside the tank.

I would love to do that. But I already have a Prizm skimmer and AC150 (with chiller) in the back. So there is no more room

The other two options were:

1) Get an Aquafuge PS with built in skimmer. I just do not know how good that is for $230.

2) Build a sump. I am just afraid that the overflow boxes are noisy and they tend to get clogged up and create a mess.

PK

Dakota
06-26-2005, 10:19 AM
If you use a u-tube overflow box, you won't have a problem as long as you pump enough water through it. Mine has NEVER failed me, and if it ever gets air stuck in it (happens from time to time) I just dump a gallon of water in the display and it pushes it right over. Keeping the flow high will eliminate any bubbles forming int he first place.

If using the wier design, use an aqualift pump and your troubles are history.

pisces
06-26-2005, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by pk-sd
I would love to do that. But I already have a Prizm skimmer and AC150 (with chiller) in the back. So there is no more room

I have a Bakpak skimmer and AC300 fuge on the back of my 18 tall, so I have a similar setup to yours. Instead of using the iceprobe chiller, though, I just aim a fan at the fuge to induce evaporative cooling. Works great, but there is the issue of evaporation. I have an automated freshwater topoff with float switch to handle that.

Reefkeeper
06-27-2005, 01:16 AM
Just a word of caution, I have been using that exact same model intank fuge on my 20g for a little while now. It was housing some Xenia that something had decided to eat/pick at while the tank that I was transplanting the xenia (and GSP) to finished cycling.

At first, everything seemed fine, I didnt notice an increase in temperature or any other issues. However, a few weeks back I noticed that my temperatures were suddenly going sky high during the day. This just so happened to correspond with me switching to PCs.

My first thought was that it was my lights, which I had temporarily rigged but were way too close to the water. I even posted a thread about this wondering if anyone else had seen such large temperature changes from using PCs. However, when I finally installed the lights into their semi-permanent position (just need to switch out the suspension material to the final choice but otherwise finished with the install) the temperature didnt really seem to want to go down.

My second thought was maybe my place was getting to warm, but after setting my A/C at a comfortable 78 or lower for a few days and seeing no difference in temp, that idea was busted.

I honestly was out of ideas when the other tank finally finished cycling. I was able to move out the xenia and GSP and thus get rid of the intank fuge.

When I took out the fuge, the temperature was 83.7, I watched as the temp started going down. All the way back down to 79.8! Whoa, I think I found the culprit for the unexplained and uncontrolled heating fo the tank!

I have watched for several days now and my temperature has not gone above 80.7 since I removed the fuge. In fact, I have even seen my heater come on several times since then. (Last time I saw it on was before the fuge went in)

Thus, I have reached a few hypothesis as to why this happened.
1. The fuge with the rio attached is nearly 9 - 10 inches in length. In smaller tanks you are limited on where to place this fuge. You are either blocking 1/4 of your tank (front placement) or probably taking up the entire side. With internal/HOB equipment and rock you are even further hampered with placing the fuge. I think that the design calls for more water movement around it then you get when placing it on the side. (My tank has only a 10" width) -- I should note that the water and pump did not feel any hotter than the rest of the tank did, even when it was at a normal temp before the increase.

2. I think that the fuge may have somehow either absorbed or amplified the heat from the light. Think of it as a mini greenhouse in the tank. There seemed to be a large amount of algae which developed underneath the bottom of the fuge, much more than other areas nearby. Something was obviously enhancing the suitabilty of that area and the greenhouse effect seems to make sense.

3. It is possible that the Rio may have suddenly gone bad and started heating up. I was out of town and came back to a noticeable problem. Since it was operating all the time, it is possible and could explain the problem.

4. Someone put a voodoo hex on me. -- Ok, that was just to see if people were still reading.

All in all, I would hope that you dont have the same problem with excess heat that I developed. Depending on what tank you have (such as a via aqua 16, where its more of a cube shape) you might not have a space issue. If that was what caused my issue, then you are golden. However if it was any of the other reasons, you might run into a real problem with heat.

pk-sd
06-27-2005, 07:34 AM
Thanks for the detailed input. I read it twice :). My vote on overheating goes to your Rio PH. It seems for now I am going to make a fuge out of AC150 and attach it to the side of the tank. I have one that is currently being used on my 55g planted tank just running Purigen.

So tonight I will clean it up and move it to my SW tank. I think I will be ready for some macro algae by tomorrow. Does anyone have some they can spare? All I need is a cup size.

Thanks
PK

Dannyboy
06-27-2005, 07:44 AM
I got tons of it. If you stop by PK I can hook you up with some. I got chaeto, ulva, racemosa, taxifolia, prolifera, some weird unidentified bluish macro, serrulata(sawtooth) and a couple others I forgot. Let me know - Danny

pk-sd
06-27-2005, 08:33 AM
Thanks Danny.

Could you please PM me your working hours for next few days......

PK
:)

Dannyboy
06-27-2005, 08:44 AM
PM sent. Let me know what kind(s) to bring with me.

pk-sd
06-27-2005, 12:23 PM
Macroalgae arena is new to me right now. So please bring what you think works best in a fuge to export nutrients. Also if there is anything that can be kept in the main tank without being a nuisance would be nice.

I will also try to read-up to see what I like.

Thanks
PK

pk-sd
06-29-2005, 01:44 PM
Danny,

I just wanted to thank you for hooking me up with 4 different types of macro algaes yesterday for my fuge setup. :)

PK