PDA

View Full Version : Ambient light and hair algae

pk-sd
06-22-2005, 08:52 PM
I seem to be having some hair algae problem in my tank. One of the possibilities is too much ambient light in the room. There is no direct light falling on the tank but sun comes out at 7:30am, my lights are on from 2pm-10pm.

If ambient light can cause algae then I have a photo period of over 14 hours, which can be a problem.

MrKrispy
06-22-2005, 09:35 PM
hmmmm red tide scripps water maybe? lol

pk-sd
06-22-2005, 09:40 PM
No the problem started with older bulbs two three months ago. Still have not had a handle on the situation since then.

I got Scripps water before the red-tide. Water smells fine (tank and buckets).

MrKrispy
06-23-2005, 07:24 AM
old shifted bulbs tend to do that also.

BrookR1
06-23-2005, 07:48 AM
LOL...I love these questions! They're too easy.

Don't worry about the ambient light that isn't directly hitting your tank. You have a nutrient problem. You're overfeeding your tank while neglecting your water changes. Reduce your feedings (or cut them out altogether for a few days), increase your water changes (double or triple them), add some algae grazers to your tank, and (if you don't have one already) establish a refugium with macro algae. If that doesn't do the trick, then you can increase the flow in your tank.

Before you do any of this, test your phosphate and nitrate levels and report back the numbers...including your topoff water and your scripps water.

pk-sd
06-23-2005, 09:16 AM
I am just looking at all the possibilites. Nitrates and Phosphates are zero. Just installed DI unit in the house ( I think RO water from the vending machine was too high in phosphate/Nitrates). So I guess I will just have wait to see the results.

Water change 10% twice a week.

Also looking into buying AquaFuge PS.