PDA

View Full Version : 2 questions - light in fish only tank & water transport

tayl0r
06-22-2005, 01:23 PM
I have found these forums very helpful, and I have 2 questions:

Do I need to have any sort of lighting for a fish only tank?
I just setup a 90g with LR and am not sure if I need to get some lights or not. I searched and saw 1 similiar thread, which hinted that I would need 2 watts per gallon. Is that accurate? I could get ~180 watts of compact fluorescent and it would be sufficient to keep my LR happy?
I would rather get 1 metal halide light, but I was not sure if that would be sufficient for lighting the entire tank. The tank is ~50 inches long, so if that light is placed in 1 location, would rock not directly below the light still receive benefit?

My second question is regarding water transport from Scripps. What are some possible items to store water in for transport? Do most people use barrels or square sealed tubs or what? Where does one purchase something like this? I checked at Home Depot and they really don't have anything like that.

Limbo
06-22-2005, 01:35 PM
Hi Tayl0r,

Welcome aboard :)

As far as the lighting situation goes, the fish will need some sort of light for biological regulation....they kind of need to develop an internal light schedule or they will go mad...MAD !!!! LOL

It doesn't need to be an intense light if you don't plan on keeping corals or other sessile inverts. The life on the rock itself will not need any more special lighting needs than the fish. Corraline algae on the live rock can also do well under lower light situations too.

A single halide will taper off about 8" to 12" to the right and left of the light,...so the edges of your tank might be a little dim. Power compacts will give you consistent light (less intense) over the entire tank since they are longer,...they will also be alot cooler then the halides as well. Either light choice would work, but each have their pros and cons for your situation.

If you have the means, you might want to do both. Put a single 96 watt PC over the tank and have it come on early morning, and have your single halide come on late morning,...then have the halide go off late afternoon, and finally the PC off at night. This way you have the light "ramping up" and down.....not sure if that would work for you but it would probably be what I would do.

You can get containers in the camping section of Wal Mart, (7 gallon) or the white ones (5 gallons) that they sell at Aquatic Warehouse.

Jim

tayl0r
06-22-2005, 01:38 PM
Thanks for the comments. I think my best bet is to use power compacts then.

Also, I was thinking more of 50 - 70 gallon containers.

Limbo
06-22-2005, 01:48 PM
Ahhhh,

I was in the same boat about a month ago....

Try PM Chemical (619) 296-0191,...they carry used 30, 50, and larger drums. Most of the drums were used to transport soda syrup, so they still have that Dr. Pepper smell to them :) I rinsed mine out and have been using it for my auto topoff ever since with no ill-effects.

Not sure where locally to get the drums new....

Jim

farrington300
06-22-2005, 01:51 PM
I use 5 gallon buckets because they stack neatly. I also have a 20 gallon trashcan as storage.

tayl0r
06-22-2005, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Limbo
Ahhhh,

I was in the same boat about a month ago....

Try PM Chemical (619) 296-0191,...they carry used 30, 50, and larger drums. Most of the drums were used to transport soda syrup, so they still have that Dr. Pepper smell to them :) I rinsed mine out and have been using it for my auto topoff ever since with no ill-effects.

Not sure where locally to get the drums new....

Jim Thanks a lot. They have tons of reconditioned 55g drums for $25. I'm going down there tomorrow!

wsonner
07-05-2005, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by tayl0r
Thanks a lot. They have tons of reconditioned 55g drums for $25. I'm going down there tomorrow!

Did you go get the drums? I am looking for some now.

tayl0r
07-05-2005, 05:37 PM
Yeah i got 2 of them. I think I only need 1 though, if you want to buy it from me. $25

I'm in Mira Mesa.

I would recommend them heartily if you have a truck, since the caps on the top are not meant to hold 30+ gallons of water if the barrel is stored on its side during transport. Having a wagon, I have to lean it on its side, which is less than optimal for the barrel. I think I am better off getting a bunch of 5 gallon containers, since I don't have a truck.

Also, there is no way you can move the barrel if it is full of water, so the only thing you can do is siphon or pump the water from the barrel into your tank or into another barrel, which is no problem for me since that is what I do.

wsonner
07-05-2005, 05:53 PM
Yeah, I work in Mira Mesa so that would be perfect. Did they have any 30 gallon size? I was thinking that if I got two 30s I could keep the 55 at home and just use the smaller two for transport. When will you be home?

Originally posted by tayl0r
Yeah i got 2 of them. I think I only need 1 though, if you want to buy it from me. $25

I'm in Mira Mesa.

I would recommend them heartily if you have a truck, since the caps on the top are not meant to hold 30+ gallons of water if the barrel is stored on its side during transport. Having a wagon, I have to lean it on its side, which is less than optimal for the barrel. I think I am better off getting a bunch of 5 gallon containers, since I don't have a truck.

Also, there is no way you can move the barrel if it is full of water, so the only thing you can do is siphon or pump the water from the barrel into your tank or into another barrel, which is no problem for me since that is what I do.

elgordoinavw
07-05-2005, 07:29 PM
for a FO system you could use X-mas lights it doesn't matter. However certain light seem to intensify the colors of the fish.