PDA

View Full Version : anyone get an email from paypal?

colindoug3
06-21-2005, 11:48 AM
It seems like an actual paypal email, not a fraud. well, until you click the link. they want to verify that im a customer blah blah blah to prevent fraud and fraudulent accounts. The link actually takes me to paypal.com/blah blah blah...
Here it asks me to confirm my CC #, name on card, expiration date, card verification number, electronic signature (atm pin code ***!), and social security number (are you kidding?).
I dont know, but im pretty sure you can steal my entire life with this information. I dont care if they cancel my account, they are not getting this info. Anyone else get this email?

elgordoinavw
06-21-2005, 12:03 PM
FRAUD-

confirm my CC #, name on card, expiration date, card verification number, electronic signature (atm pin code ***!), and social security number
Colin, Dude that smells like fraud all the way!!!

MAKASHI
06-21-2005, 12:07 PM
that's a fraud...i get that email all the time and i just delete it

pk-sd
06-21-2005, 12:07 PM
I get 5-10 of these emails a day. If you have latest zone alarm installed, it will prevent you from entering personal info on a fake paypal website.

Standard practice never use a link to go to a website. Always type it in the address bar.

colindoug3
06-21-2005, 12:10 PM
yea, i get them too. this is the first one ive seen that had a paypal email address, and paypal.com blah blah. i guess its not all that hard to create and steal paypals images from their website. anyhow, thanks guys...

wsonner
06-21-2005, 12:14 PM
I use the old rule...If I didn't call THEM they don't get my personal info.

I get these stupid things daily.

Dakota
06-21-2005, 12:21 PM
companies NEVER email customers to get updated CC information or any type of verification. you have to go to them for that.

MrKrispy
06-21-2005, 12:42 PM
if you are unsure, forward the emails to spoof@paypal.com and they will verify it for you. I always type in www.paypal.com anyway just to be safe.

luistwentyone
06-21-2005, 12:58 PM
give me all your info, and I can verify if indeed it is fraud:D

suver569
06-21-2005, 01:43 PM
Yep, i get about 5 a day. Forward to spoof@paypal.com, immediately delete it after that.

Also, ANY real paypal email will be addressed in the email with your first name, never "paypal member" or "dear member". It'll always, always, always be addressed to your first name if it's a real paypal email. And check out there terms of service. They cannot, and will not ever, ever, EVER ask for your CC number, or any information about it, unless you actually submit it to them on the site.

Hope no one falls victim to this. It can ruin your life if you dont use common sense. Literally.

swissfish
06-21-2005, 09:17 PM
also look for the litle lock on the botom of the of your e-explorer that means that you are on a secure website.

Daniel
06-21-2005, 10:54 PM
besides the little lock on the bottom right of the browser, if paypal ever e-mails you, they will address the e-mail with your full name (first & last)... instead of "Dear JOHNNY_BOY" while your e-mail is JOHNNY_BOY@yahoo.com ...that's another easy "tell" to see if it's really from paypal or not :)

pk-sd
06-22-2005, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by swissfish
also look for the litle lock on the botom of the of your e-explorer that means that you are on a secure website.

Little lock on the bottom means nothing when someone is taking your money away (fraudulently). All it means is that no one else can see that your money is leaving you.:eek:

colindoug3
06-22-2005, 10:05 AM
I was under the impression that this meant information was secure by being encrypted. I only am guessing from movies etc., but isnt it pretty easy to unencrypt something with a simple program? If someone wants your info, their gonna get it.
Secondly, the lock isnt always there. I think I can remember times when the lock only comes up when you hit submit, or a link to another page.

jrjuiliano
06-22-2005, 10:18 AM
The lock only means that there is SSL encryption provided on the page you are viewing.

You can actually double-click or right click on the lock icon, and view the properties of the encryption if you're interested.

In a lot of cases the authentic site will be signed by Verisign or Thwate or someone similar ('well known') and other properties can be viewed to verify its validity.