PDA

View Full Version : rotting macro algea

Phischy
06-20-2005, 10:28 PM
The last few weeks I've noticed that some of my corals haven't been overly happy. I haven't been able to keep LPS in my tank for reasons unknown except for an open green brain. It was almost dead when I put it in my tank and it came back, grew and was georgous. Then my candy canes and green frog spawn receeded. That was over a month ago.

Now I notice my green brain is also receeding and pulling back from the skeleton. I haven't a clue what is wrong, I was spot feeding it but everyone said that was too much. I've got a 40gal tank, 21" deep and I do 5gal H20 changes weekly. I add phyto 1x per week and I feed my fish 2x per week.

Aside from temp swings due to summer, I've noticed that my macro algea in my tank will die off. Will the rotting leaves spike my nutireints or create nitrates/tries/ammonia? I only have a nitrate test so I haven't really done anything, not sure if this is bad water quality or if I'm feeding incorrectly. The brain sits on the substrate and is under 220w PC lights. It has done fine for 6 months and now it's not doing so hot.

Any ideas of what I'm doing wrong?

Dakota
06-21-2005, 05:23 AM
What is your nitrate test showing you? If you were to have a spike of nutrients from the algae, your nitrate would spike, too, if you bio filter couldn't handle it. Also, it this a low range nitrate test? If not, go and get one to see down to the 0-1 range if you nitrates are doing anything. LPS can handle nitrates in that range anyway, but you may simply be experiencing what I was when I just simply couldn't keep LPS for some unknown reason.

Also, if your brain is open and showing you his tenticles.... it's okay to spot feed him... it means he's hungry anyway.

Skuzzlebutt
06-21-2005, 11:56 AM
I just looked at my macro algea in the sump and half of it was disolved to mush! Don't know if this is related to your problem, hope I am not hijacking.

I haven't had any spikes in anything, I've been bringing the nitrates down over the past month, they are around 10 at the moment. But the algea looked fine over the weekend.

There were two kinds, don't know their names. The stuff that is dense like pubic hair fine, but the other stuff that had bubbles or bulbs on it and looked like spaghetti is now all mush. I got it out of there, but would love to know what might have caused this and if there should be concern for my tank...

shinbo
06-21-2005, 06:03 PM
My macro is also disappearing from my sump. Ever since I introduced it to my tank a lot of slime has grown in my tank.