PDA

View Full Version : acrylic cement

jharr
06-20-2005, 12:55 PM
Will regular 2-part epoxy work well on acrylic or do I need to get something specially formulated? I am going to try to cement a diy sump/fuge to the back of my eclipse 6.

J--

wannabeafarmer
06-20-2005, 01:15 PM
Weld-on would be your adhesive of choice. I've used the two part plastic epoxy on acrylic, but I had to sand both parts to rough them up, and give the epoxy something to hold on to. Hope this helps. You can get the weld-on at a plastic supplier, just check the phone book. Good luck!

suver569
06-20-2005, 04:16 PM
Get yourself Weld-on #16. Works great. Also handy for around the house plastic fixing. I fixed my refridge door with it, welded the broken part on in 24 hours. A little duct tape, a big gob of cement, and wa-la, one solid refridge door compartment.

Oh, it works for what your looking to use it for also :p

It'll weld pretty much any kind of acrylic or plastic, and it's nice and thick and goopy.

fountains slave
06-20-2005, 07:59 PM
can you glue together a tank from scatch with it a small tank 20-30 gallons

wsonner
06-21-2005, 12:20 PM
Yeah, Weld On. If for no other reason than the great contact high :-).

Wes

wannabeafarmer
06-21-2005, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by fountains slave
can you glue together a tank from scatch with it a small tank 20-30 gallons

Yup...

Weld-on creates a bond between the acrylic...makes it almost as if it were one. Could go a lot bigger that 20-30 gallons, just have to adjust the thickness of the acrylic to match the water volume you are looking for.