PDA

View Full Version : Help with some minor problems

Reefkeeper
06-19-2005, 10:39 PM
I made some changes to my system and it seems to be causing some issues. First, I went to upgrade my lights and picked up a PFO power compact system from another member on the board. While I havent had a chance to build a canopy yet, I have the lights set up so that they are useable. (Its sitting on top of the glass top with risers so that it doesnt touch the trim.)

This seems to be working great, but I am noticing that my tank seems to be running hot. (From 79 before to 84-85 now) This is my first experience with Power Compacts, but I have never had an issue with my lights heating up a tank previously when I was running VHO's. This is a much smaller tank (20 gal vs. 39) but I need to figure out a way to rectify this situation.

Right now the lights are completely in the open air, since there is no canopy, and thus I dont think adding fans would help. They are probably 1" or less above the water as they are sitting on the glass. The only thing that I can think of that might help is moving them up a bit higher (3" or so from the water) so that there shouldnt be as much heat transfer.

Anyone think that would work or have another solution?

The second minor problem is that while I was away, my tank pH seems to have jumped from 8.2 to 8.5. A water change brought it back down to 8.2, but I am at a loss as to why I would suddenly see my pH jump?

Finally, as I had said previously, there was some mystery anenomes which were tentatively identified as Majano's. They had never spread or really been a nusiance, so I had just left them alone. While I was gone it appears that they started to spread as one split and another new one appeared on a separate rock. The peppermints dont touch them and I cant really dose them where the new ones are located as its near a few other animals. Any other natural solutions to get rid of them?

Thanks.

chin_monster
06-19-2005, 10:56 PM
As far as the majano anemones go there isn't a natural predator available. Pepermints do not eat them as you've found out. The most reliable (and only) means to kill them seems to be Joe's Juice. I've done all the rest of the suggested ways to kill them without any sucess rate over maybe 20% (if lucky) -tried kalk, boliing water, vinegar, lemon juice, etc. None worked too great.

Dakota
06-19-2005, 11:03 PM
is your tank fully covered with the PCs? That may be the issue. PCs run pretty warm too. Woudln't hurt to run a fan, but also just make sure to uncover the tank.

farrington300
06-20-2005, 10:30 AM
I have heard that PCs should be atleast 8 inches off the water (this is just what i have heard). I have 3 96w lights running (in a canopy) and they are 4-5 inches off the water. I do not cover the tank and my temp never goes above 82 (even on really hot days). I do however run a small fan blowing over my sump. If i were you I would lift them to about 5 inches off the water uncover tank as dakota said and see what happens.

swissfish
06-20-2005, 11:51 AM
I was told to make sure to test your ph at the same time every day.
If i remember right the PH changes with the oxigen levels in the water and the oxigen level in the water changes with the oxigen exchange of your live rock (lights on or off).

dt90gt
06-20-2005, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by chin_monster
As far as the majano anemones go there isn't a natural predator available. Pepermints do not eat them as you've found out. The most reliable (and only) means to kill them seems to be Joe's Juice. I've done all the rest of the suggested ways to kill them without any sucess rate over maybe 20% (if lucky) -tried kalk, boliing water, vinegar, lemon juice, etc. None worked too great.

heh, I killed off a lot of majanos with really really crappy water quality in my FOWLR =)

But after I finally went and cleaned it up, there were still a few that were spreading, and I didn't really care. But after I added a Koran Angel, he has been kind enough to nibble on the majanos for me, so none have grown, and I don't even know if any are still alive! Plus he doesn't bother any of the coral or other stuff, RBTA, Torch, Frogspawn, GSP and shrooms are all perfect!

mer116
06-22-2005, 08:27 PM
Your lights are less than an inch from the water? That's way too close...

Not sure about your pH problem. How are you dosing? Two-part/kalk/reactor?

Reefkeeper
06-22-2005, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by mer116
Your lights are less than an inch from the water? That's way too close...

Not sure about your pH problem. How are you dosing? Two-part/kalk/reactor?

Temporarily set up so that I could use it while figuring out what I wanted to do for the canopy. Generally have lights about 3 inches from water level, at least thats what I did with my VHOs.

I finally decided just to hang them from the ceiling rather than build a canopy. I started to build the rack to hold the reflectors/clips, but need to figure out if I want to use chain, twisted wire, or high test monofilament line. The rack is superlight weight and will only weight a few pounds even with the lights attached so I dont have to worry too much about the suspension.

mer116
06-22-2005, 11:59 PM
3 inches is still way to close imo

Reefkeeper
06-23-2005, 12:24 AM
Never had an issue with that tank and it was up and running for a few years.

I am planning on putting this about 6 inches from the water when I hang it. I also plan on making it so that I can raise and lower it as well.