PDA

View Full Version : Slurping sound from overflow box??

airsoftin
06-18-2005, 06:27 PM
Hey everyone, i just got and set up my new 75gal all glass with corner overflow. It has two holes drilled, i blocked one off with an industrial strength plug and was just going to use the larger of the two but its making a slurping sound...its this caused because i dont have both of them hooked up? Is there any other reason that it is making this noise?

Thanks in advance,
Mike

krader
06-18-2005, 06:33 PM
You need a durso pipe

http://www.aurx.net/saltwater/durso.html

more info here

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/dursopipefaqs.htm

What size is the larger hole you have?
(I might have one that would work for you!)

FishProf
06-18-2005, 08:53 PM
Better idea - UNplug the other pipe, and use it as a backup/safety [put a bulkhead and a standpipe long enough inside the overflow box].
Then, put a gate valve on the main overflow pipe to essentially 'choke' it so that there will be water in its top portion. Gate valve allows small adjustments. Your main will be virtually silent, and if it ever gets blocked, the other pipe will kick in, and it WILL make noise, so that will be your 'alarm'.
I have it like this on my system and the tank is silent.

FP

pk-sd
06-19-2005, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by FishProf
Better idea - UNplug the other pipe, and use it as a backup/safety [put a bulkhead and a standpipe long enough inside the overflow box].
Then, put a gate valve on the main overflow pipe to essentially 'choke' it so that there will be water in its top portion. Gate valve allows small adjustments. Your main will be virtually silent, and if it ever gets blocked, the other pipe will kick in, and it WILL make noise, so that will be your 'alarm'.
I have it like this on my system and the tank is silent.

FP

Sounds interesting! Got any detailed pictures ?

FishProf
06-19-2005, 08:20 AM
1st picture of plumbing
Left to right:
1. alternate overflow [going to the refugium, low flow]
2. Main overflow, going to the sump, choked by a 1.5" gate valve [20$ at CustomAquatics]
3. return [see 2 pitrues below, from an RK2 external pump, essentially, Sequence 759]
4. Electrical [I have zero clearance in the back]

FishProf
06-19-2005, 08:21 AM
2nd
T-ed off the return are:
Top: 1/4" polyurethan line to the carcium reactor
Bottom: 1/2" line to the protein skimmer [the ball valve & blue 'snake' irrigation line from Home Depot] - ASM G4 has be modified to a recirculating skimmer using flexible tank adapters [Custom Aquatics]

FishProf
06-19-2005, 08:23 AM
3rd

FishProf
06-19-2005, 08:29 AM
Modified ASM G4 - recirculating

FishProf
06-19-2005, 08:29 AM
mod - pic 2

FishProf
06-19-2005, 08:30 AM
Mod - pic 3