PDA

View Full Version : Bad luck

Trickman2
06-18-2005, 02:54 PM
So how is everyone. Woke up this morning and was getting ready to have some fun for the day, Three year aniversary is today. Walk over to my tank and notice a puddle, Well the seal went on my Ampmaster 2100 pump. Urge, So this morning I was pulling apart all my plumbing and leak testing the sump. Everything seems ok except for the seal. Anyways my Modification to the condo did very well. The water did not get into the walls and it just hung out on the tile. :)

So I decided to switch back to a Iwaki pump. Picked up a 30RXLT MD from Custom Aquatics after AW tried to sell me A GENX pump. So my tank is running on a two powerheads and a Air pump until tommorow when I get a chance to fix this mess.

Anyways I hope everyone is having better luck than I

colindoug3
06-18-2005, 05:44 PM
Well, thats pretty good luck if you ask me. You were prepared. I was just reading about your baseboard mod in another thread. Good plan, and test proven now. Sorry you had to deal with this instead of having fun though.

pdonovan92130
06-18-2005, 06:14 PM
Bummer to hear about the pump failure. Good save with the tile. I have hard wood floors and my wife will kill me if I have a major water malfuntion - although I'm harder on myself probably.

My blueline pump failed at 3:00am a couple months ago. I went to AW to buy an Iwaki pump. I was talked into a GenX pump instead. Not sure why they are pushing those pumps so much. So far the GenX is fine. At least I took the opportunity to upgrade my plumbing at the same time by adding ball valves and true unions.

FishProf
06-18-2005, 08:56 PM
I'd get a Sequence pump - reliable, silent, low energy consumption, salt-water proof.

FP

Trickman2
06-19-2005, 05:53 AM
GENX
Honestly, they are cheap but they are loud. I think I would rather put a gun to my head than listen to GENX. I don't much care for a lot of pump noise. Hence the reason I went with a 30rxlt instead of a 40. The 30 don't have a fan so they are quieter than the 40s

They talked me into it twice at Aquatic and got the same result twice. I returned it. The first one I told them was to loud and they said I must of had a defective one.

Iwaki is better, the dolphin and the reeflo are also suppose to be quiet. Dolphin was quiet (other than having crappy seals) Never tried reeflo dart but was told they can be damaged if reduced. So left me with only two options. Replace the seals on the Ampmaster or Go with Iwaki. I decided on the second.

shmitr
06-19-2005, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by Trickman2
Hence the reason I went with a 30rxlt instead of a 40. The 30 don't have a fan so they are quieter than the 40s

I totally agree. I have a 30RLTX and it is completely silent...

Trickman2
06-20-2005, 07:38 AM
Sometimes I think I should listen to my Own advice, LoL...My original plan was to buy a reeflo dart but after talking with AW they said it was loud and basically bashed it. So Iwaki it was, I hate the humming noise so its back to square one. I am gonna return it and Pick up the Reeflo Dart.

I talked to the cool people at Sequence,
They said I should have 1 and 1/2 inch intake and that I can use whatever line I want out. They Said the pump is silent and has a three year waranty.

FishProf
06-20-2005, 07:49 AM
The Sequence is pretty much silent. The motor is Baldor [industrial-strength motors].

FP

Dakota
06-20-2005, 08:21 AM
Of course AW bashed the sequence. They don't carry them. . .

Trickman2
06-20-2005, 09:27 AM
Hey Guys just returned the Iwaki plan on swapping them out and Setting up the Reeflo Dart, I will let you know how it all turns out. :D

Trickman2
06-21-2005, 02:06 PM
Ok, So I redrilled the bulkhead to 1.5 inches did all the plumbing used some teflon tape and started up the pump.

So a few minutes later Drip drip from the threads where the teflon tape was. Remove re teflon replace, better but still Drip drip.

Whip open the pamplet/manual and number 15) says use teflon paste (not tape)

Long Story short it was to late to go to home depot.
So tonight Its off to home depot for teflon Paste and a ball valve so I can reduce some of the flow.

Trickman2
06-21-2005, 08:43 PM
Ok so I re plumbed and used teflon paste and added a ball valve to adjust the flow to the main tank. Pump seems to be working awesome now ( knock on wood ). So its pretty damn quiet to in comparison to most other pumps. Just as quiet as the dolphin pump and well its got a silicon Carbide seal which should last longer. Dolphin offered me the special silicon Carbide seal but at a cost of 65 dollars. Also offered me the regular seal for 21 or free if the pump was less than a year old.

REEFWAVE
06-21-2005, 10:15 PM
i just set one up and will be testing it out in the next few days, i didnt have the manual so i used teflon tape, now you got me all concerned...lol oh well ill cross my fingers on one hand and have the other on the car keys to make yet another trip to home depot.. ( i need to buy stock in that company with how much i go there) ;)

colindoug3
06-22-2005, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by Trickman2
Whip open the pamplet/manual and number 15) says use teflon paste (not tape)

Long Story short it was to late to go to home depot.
So tonight Its off to home depot for teflon tape and a ball valve so I can reduce some of the flow.
I think you just made a mistake while typing it out. I hope you didnt make a mistake at home depot. I think all of us make excessive trips to home depot. I think stock in that company wouldnt be a bad idea either.

Trickman2
06-22-2005, 06:35 AM
Good Catch Colin, Yeah I was pretty tired at that point. Long Story Short use teflon paste it will save you a headache in the long run.

So my two lessons for the month are
1) Read the damn Manual
2) Use Teflon paste ( NOT Tape)

Reefwave I would Redo with paste asap. Save yourself the Headache