PDA

View Full Version : red slime in fuge

brncsfns5621
06-15-2005, 07:59 PM
Have a BAD break out in the fuge. Thought it was de to water flow, stepped up the pump and replumbed inlet/outlet. Great flow now, but no effect. Macroalgea is covered in it. Any thoughts?

mer116
06-15-2005, 11:04 PM
how old is your tank? siphon as much of it out as you can and do a water change >20%

colindoug3
06-15-2005, 11:38 PM
i had this stuff when my tank was fairly young in one of its cycles. this stuff was a lot easier for me to remove than the hair algae. the red covered some rocks. when it is thick enough it almost starts to hover over the rock. it is pretty easy to pick it off, and it will sheet off, unlike the hair algae where you can only take off what you pick at. i was able to get rid of the red slime manually and no chemicals, but havent been able to shake the hair algae. good luck!

onad75
06-16-2005, 12:32 AM
I had that problem before and it takes me a while before i get rid of it.
What do you have on youre fuge?

http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=4976&highlight=red+slime

colindoug3
06-16-2005, 01:07 AM
good link onad.
red slime aint all that bad. green hair algae sucks, but the worst ive ever seen is BROWN hair algae in a lagoon in carlsbad when i was fishing. i hate watching my tank half full of green hair algae, but at least its not brown hair algae.

brncsfns5621
06-16-2005, 03:20 AM
Thanks for the info. I have had my tank for a long while now. It is contained in the fuge only, so I am not too worried about it. It is just covering the algae though and hope it will not kill it off. I have a lot of snails in there that burrough in the sand, so that shouldn't be a problem. Will just have to wait and see what happens..... or take out the sand.

Dakota
06-16-2005, 07:59 AM
The worst is red hair algae... no one likes to eat it and it spreads fast. . .

I'd say try a few water changes and see how it responds. If it IS a newer tank, that's definetely a source.

brncsfns5621
06-21-2005, 07:07 AM
OK, have doen multiple water changes and the problem is getting worse. I recently drilled the tank and replumbed it. I now have a stronger pump on my fuge as the other one wasn't doing anything. I took out the wet/dry and installed a sump with a sock. I did all this and a week later had the break out in the fuge. Now it has spread to the main tank and I do not understand why. I did start using Scripps again, but I don't think that should be the problem.... could it? I am going to buy some salt today to mix up some water and try that just in case, but am stumped. HELP!!!!!!!

suver569
06-21-2005, 07:38 AM
Hey, i'm getting a bunch of nass snails this week. Try them out in the fuge. Mine is spotless now that they're in there.

Shameless plug to try and get rid of a few more...:p

But seriously, they eat everything algae related, except macro algae. I'd even be willing to let you borrow a handful to see if they go for the algae.

brncsfns5621
06-21-2005, 11:45 AM
If they are the black one, I already picked up a bunch from the first shipment you had. They don't seem to be touching it. Have a hector gobie that is going to town on the sand though and seems to be eating it. will keep doing the water changes and see what happens.