PDA

View Full Version : RBTA question

tarmstrong
06-14-2005, 10:57 AM
I have a really healthy smaller RBTA and he's doing great, but my question is this, when do the tentacles bubble up? He just has nice long tentacles. This was a captive bred RBTA. any ideas?

socalkris29
06-14-2005, 11:34 AM
I think it's anybody's guess when the tentacles "bulb up." I've read that they will when associated with clowns, but I have a standard brown BTA with a Clark and when I first bought it and for about a week it had bulbs, then slowly all the bulbs deflated and it has never re-inflated since. Nothing really has changed, still has the same clown, tank, tankmates, etc., etc.....

Perhaps it has something to do with lighting or flow or diet... who knows. There are SO many variables to contend with when keeping aquaria -- not to mention that even though many of us try as hard as we can to duplicate their natural setting, it just isn't the same.

Maybe others have more insight. :D

K

M_DEZ
06-14-2005, 12:06 PM
This website said some do and some don't keep their bubble tips. Here's the link

http://www.freewebs.com/karenssaltwater/whynobubbletips.htm

BrookR1
06-14-2005, 03:05 PM
My RBTA seemingly does this randomly. It was bubbled up when I woke up this morning. The flow was lower than the rest of my tank...it was sort of in a blocked-current area in the light but behind a rock. And honestly, I have no clue if bubble tips means its happy or not. I've had it over a year and I've had a true perc hosting in it for that long also, and I still can't figure it out.

lucubrator
06-14-2005, 09:38 PM
I have a green bta whose tentacles are deflated at night and until the halide turns on, and then they remain inflated until shortly after the actinics go off for the night.

dt90gt
06-14-2005, 10:30 PM
Dude I had the same question! I have 2 RBTAs, both clones from the same parent. I had them in my 30 hex, and they were being annoying and walking into powerheads, but they were also not bubbling up. I moved them to the 60, and they both have totally stopped walking and now are showing the bubble tips. I'm happy as can be, stationary RBTA's in my large tank, and looking good, but I figured they would be more happy under the 175 halide, than the flourescents, but it has been the opposite?!?