PDA

View Full Version : ? DIY ballast.

espinobj
04-24-2010, 06:36 PM
I havnt sceen a DIY ballast. I dont want to do it but It would be highly interesting to see how to do it. I know basically a transformer and a compasiter. But how would it work? Anyone with electrical expierence know how to do this? Really interested. Thanks.

benzeeno
04-24-2010, 07:30 PM
I've got a few t-5 ballast, if you'd like to buy some 2 54W HO. Are you trying to wire a ballast or build one?

espinobj
04-24-2010, 08:27 PM
Im not in need of any just really curious about how they work. Not how to wire one but actually how to go to raidoshaq and MAKE a ballast.

jcal
04-24-2010, 11:19 PM
I havnt sceen a DIY ballast. I dont want to do it but It would be highly interesting to see how to do it. I know basically a transformer and a compasiter. But how would it work? Anyone with electrical expierence know how to do this? Really interested. Thanks.

Personally, it's not that hard. But, I wouldn't build any ballast from scratch if you have no electrical/electronic education or experience. Curiosity killed the cat.

espinobj
04-25-2010, 11:55 AM
Dont plan on it but I like learning. Thought someone would know.

jcal
04-25-2010, 06:36 PM
"Im not in need of any just really curious about how they work. Not how to wire one but actually how to go to raidoshaq and MAKE a ballast."

If you have any experience and want to try to build that ballast pictured, go for it....But if looking at it and it's making you dizzy, don't even try, you might hurt yourself. It won't take overnight to learn electronics, there is no reliability guarantee if you try to build a DIY ballast at home from scratch without the proper equipment. I'm not saying you can't, I'm saying, to the newbie that want's to learn with really no experience, it is not just plug and play.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v715/jkoi1/amtac1.gif

espinobj
04-25-2010, 07:05 PM
Ok awsome now im going to pick your brain. It shows only 12 v in. But a typical wall unit is 110v. so can you explain this to me a little more. and it also shows a f8t5 which is 8 watts right? so what about a typical system lets say 4 t5's at 54 w running on a 110 v system. does it go on the same electrical wiring and just using basically larger compasiters and resistors?

Basically is the wiring the same and you just use bigger pieces as you move up in wattage? And thank you for the information.

jcal
04-25-2010, 07:21 PM
Ok awsome now im going to pick your brain. It shows only 12 v in. But a typical wall unit is 110v. so can you explain this to me a little more. and it also shows a f8t5 which is 8 watts right? so what about a typical system lets say 4 t5's at 54 w running on a 110 v system. does it go on the same electrical wiring and just using basically larger compasiters and resistors?

Basically is the wiring the same and you just use bigger pieces as you move up in wattage? And thank you for the information.

This demo ballast schematic runs on 12v, not 110 on the outlet like you assume. It was a trick:):)....

Here is build board to drive a t-5 lamp. I know you are itching to do or learn, but it takes awhile with education or experience to understand everything to build it correctly.
It will be a fun project, but a little more understanding of electronics will make it more fun, not just hearsay from people.
What experience do you have? if you don't mind me asking.

http://www.st.com/stonline/products/literature/an/13364.pdf

espinobj
04-25-2010, 07:50 PM
no real expierence. Besides some physics in college. other than that nothing really. Thank you for your help.

espinobj
04-25-2010, 07:57 PM
and one more question why does a ballast actually do why is it so important? why can i just hook a wall cord right into a t5?

jcal
04-25-2010, 08:21 PM
and one more question why does a ballast actually do why is it so important? why can i just hook a wall cord right into a t5?

basically, Each type of bulb runs at different frequencies. That is the ballast job to make the bulb run at the right frequency. I think t5 bulbs run's at 20kHz or so. AC, the wall outlet operates at 60hz. Besides other factors, That is why we cannot just plug the bulb straight to the outlet with wires at each end.

espinobj
04-26-2010, 06:17 PM
Thanks for your help. That was a lot of information. Thank you

benzeeno
05-05-2010, 01:08 PM
basically, Each type of bulb runs at different frequencies. That is the ballast job to make the bulb run at the right frequency. I think t5 bulbs run's at 20kHz or so. AC, the wall outlet operates at 60hz. Besides other factors, That is why we cannot just plug the bulb straight to the outlet with wires at each end.

In addition to this the transformer also bumps up the voltage that's why tombstones will burn the tips of your finger if you stick them in there. be careful.

fishy.22
05-28-2010, 09:54 PM
so if you wanted to overdrive a 24w t5 bulb, could you use the next higher retrofit? for example 24" bulbs are 24watts and 36" bulbs are somewhere around 36 if you hook up a 36" retrofit with 24" bulbs will it work?