PDA

View Full Version : FO Lighting

brncsfns5621
06-10-2005, 04:42 PM
This may be a stupid question, but....

I am setting up a FO tank and am wondering what lighting to use. I was using Marine Glo and Power Glo on my last FO tank and have PC on my reef because I have a some anenomes in it. Does it matter on the FO? Can I just use regular flourescents like in your home or does it have to the UV in it?

Dakota
06-10-2005, 05:09 PM
NO bulbs will work just fine. If you have LR, then perhaps enough for 2 watts per gallon to keep corraline happy.

brncsfns5621
06-11-2005, 10:42 AM
Thanks for the info. Does anyone else agree with this. Just curious as I am looking for any ideas available.

row12
06-11-2005, 11:22 AM
personally we decided to go with T-5's on my parents 300 gallon all fish tank. I like how the fish look with the bright light. I dont think it is necessary but its a matter of preference. wee used to have the regular flourescent but they were not bright at all and the fish look kind of dull. thanks, Roel

colindoug3
06-11-2005, 06:24 PM
I used ocean sun (10k) and coral sun (actinic) when I was FOWLR before my upgrade. I was quite satisfied. They were on sale @ DrFosterSmith for 8 bucks ea or so I think. I was able to keep mushrooms and pink non pulsing xenia. Okay, the pink xenia actually thrived. In a period of 2 weeks it grew from 1 polyp to 7 or 8. Good luck.