PDA

View Full Version : water flow

elai
06-10-2005, 01:30 PM
question to all of you who are much more knowledgable than I am....

How should I place my powerheads in my tank for max coverage for my new 120 (40x24x24). I want to get it right the first time.

colindoug3
06-10-2005, 01:38 PM
there are too many variables to give the right answer. i dont know if you will get it right on your first try. just experiment with placement and see what works best for you.

Dannyboy
06-10-2005, 01:45 PM
colindoug3 is right. You wont be able to tell where to place them until your aquascaping is complete. Your rockwork will make a big difference on how you position them. There is no one right way to do anything in a reef it seems.

pk-sd
06-10-2005, 02:28 PM
Try to get powerheads that come with flow control. And always get one size bigger than what you might need that way you can always reduce the flow to meet your need.

I like AquaClear PHs. They are reliable, quite, inexpensive and come with flow control.

elai
06-14-2005, 02:14 PM
thanks for the tips guys..... i will keep you all informed to my progress...

Do you guys recommend using a octopus to change up the flow?

jthornley
06-14-2005, 03:36 PM
I like the Hydor product....

http://www.hydor.it/index_en.htm

A little harder to control the actual aim, but it does a good job of pushing the water all over the tank.

Couple things about the SCWD, noise and cleaning it... Usually it is setup in a manner that makes it a little difficult to clean and if you dont clean it, coralline algae builds up in its gears and it will begin to make a constant grinding noise.

The Hydor ones, just take them off your powerheads and clean them up.

swissfish
06-14-2005, 08:56 PM
I love the Hydor flow too! I got them from marinedepot for $10.

I have three of them attached to a closed loop system and freaking love them.

elai
06-15-2005, 03:51 PM
HYDOR system, is the system to get!

any other brands that I should be aware of?

THANK YOU the input guys, its really helping me out ALLOT!!!