PDA

View Full Version : Scripps water safe? [red tide]

FishProf
06-10-2005, 10:40 AM
Hi,

I recall hearing yesterday on the news that we have a red tide.

Is Scripps water okay?

THanks - FP

colindoug3
06-10-2005, 11:29 AM
I didn't remember taking a break from scripps water last year. You could test the water to see if any thing made it past. Get a bucket, agitate the water in the dark. If you see some electric blue light, them some blue creatures made it past.
On a side note, the red tide is awesome, and the grunion are running. Great time to go to the beach at night.

pk-sd
06-10-2005, 12:13 PM
Where did you find out about the red tide ? I cannot verify it. according to this (http://california.earth911.org/WaterQuality/default.asp?beach_id=21&station_id=272&cluster=1) link water quality is fine. But I do not think red tide is taken into consideration (is it?).

How long this red tide lasts ?

colindoug3
06-10-2005, 12:17 PM
No, has nothing to do with water quality. Perfectly safe to swim in. It is not pollution, its all natural. I think reefers would be concerned with the die off.
It may go on for months.
edit: there is red tide info on the link you provided...
heres the link to that article http://california.earth911.org/usa/master.asp?s=lib&a=Water/RedTide/RedTide.inc

FishProf
06-10-2005, 12:19 PM
I saw in on the news.

http://www.kfmb.com/story.php?id=14114

I'm sure they referred to New England, what I'm not sure is if they also mentioned San Diego.

FishProf
06-10-2005, 12:24 PM
Not sure if this is current, but still interesting http://www.surfshot.com/items/magazine_item.html?context_id=235&item_id=223

Mystery of the Red Tide (Mostly) Revealed

by Peter "The Red Tide Guy" Franks

As you might have noticed, the waves around many parts of San Diego are a dark, brownish purple. This is caused by dense accumulations near the surface of dinoflagellates (think: tiny cellulose-covered balls with two little whips for propulsion). As luck would have it, today's bloom (as opposed to the one last month) is dominated by our friend Lingulodinium polyedrum. This dinoflagellate is photosynthetic (makes sugars from light and carbon dioxide), and bioluminescent (makes its own light). Each cell is about 30-40 microns across (there are 1000 microns in a millimeter, which is about the thickness of a dime). The cells have tiny sacs of enzymes that react when the cell is jostled (for example by the breaking surf). When the enzymes react, they give off a bluish flash of light. So our waves (and your footsteps on the beach; your hands and feet when you swim) are adorned with gorgeous flashes of light at night.

The bioluminescence of these cells is on a circadian rhythm - they don't bother making light during the day 'cause no one could see it. So here's what you do to amaze your friends, astound your children, and be the toast of your neighborhood: Get a clear jar or bottle, and fill it with some water from the surfzone (fill it in deeper water to get less sand in it). Take your bottle home and wait until after the sun has gone down. Then take your bottle into a dark room (a bathroom or closet with no windows). Wait for your eyes to adjust to the darkness (a minute or so), and then give your bottle a swirl. You should see a really amazing light show. For extra excitement, add some vinegar to the bottle. You'll get a particularly bright flash (but then all the cells will die, so it only works once). The acid of the vinegar makes the enzymes react inside the cell, even without stirring.

Red Tide FAQs
================
Why is there a red tide?
I don't know. Red tides are natural occurrences; the plankton community becomes dominated by one or a few species at extraordinarily high concentrations. The only thing I can say for certain is that the net growth rate of the cells (including accumulation by swimming) is higher than their net loss rate (due to grazing, etc.). It's certainly possible that the growth of the cells is fueled by nutrients brought to the surface by upwelling (the water temperature dropped suddenly back in August).

Why are red tides so dense?
The organisms that make red tides (at least around here) tend to be able to swim. They might be swimming upward to photosynthesize, and downward to take up nutrients. If they are all doing the same thing, then they can form dense layers that are visible from the surface (like today). It's possible that the total amount of nutrients in the red-tide organisms is higher than the nutrients that were in the water before the bloom. This means that the cells must have moved relative to the water, in order to accumulate nutrients.

Why are the cells bioluminescent?
Two thoughts on this: One is that the organisms eating the red-tide cells don't like lights flashing in their face, and so don't graze on the flashing cells. The other thought is that the cell's flashing acts like a burglar alarm: an organism eating a red-tide cell causes it to flash, attracting the notice of a visual predator (the police) who then eats the grazer (burglar). Swift justice.

Why don't you so-called experts know anything about where the red tides come from?
It's embarrassing, isn't it? To really know why we have a red tide off the Scripps Pier right now, we would have had to do dense and continuous sampling all up and down the Southern California Bight for several months prior to the bloom. We would have had to measure the growth rates of the red-tide organisms, their swimming behaviors, and all their sources of mortality. Furthermore (and this is the easy part), we would have had to measure all the water velocities, since the water motions move the blooms around. It's quite likely that our present bloom is the same one that was off Huntington Beach a couple of weeks ago. On the upside, there are plans afoot to put observation networks in place all along the U.S. coast, that would help generate data that might give us some clues about how and why these blooms form. Get back to me in about 15-20 years. From a scientific point of view, these red tides are wonderful examples of physical-biological interactions leading to a massive perturbation of the marine ecosystem. I think that if we could understand why they occur, we'd learn a lot about how the planktonic ecosystem works the rest of the time.

Is the water toxic?
No. You'll die from salt water before any phytoplankton toxins kill you.

Then why do I get skin rashes/ear/nose/throat infections/and-or eye irritations?
Don't know. Try bathing more often.

Bonus question:
What the heck was that foam on the beach?
Probably degradation products and exudates from a different phytoplankton bloom (maybe the "green tide" of August). According to Lihini Aluwihare, the foam was mostly protein (a lot like egg whites).

Peter J.S. Franks is Professor of Biological Oceanography at the Scripps Institution of Oceanography where he studies physical-biological interactions in the plankton.

BrookR1
06-10-2005, 12:54 PM
Wow...what a bummer! So then, the bloom and die off from the water isn't safe for your tank, right? Wouldn't it be safe to use if you let the water sit in your garage for a month and then squirt a bunch of Amquel into it? When will the water be safe again?

FishProf
06-10-2005, 01:09 PM
Again - to be clear, I know that there is a red tide in New England. Not sure about here.

Storing water with red tide is not a good idea.
Not sure about using it right away [what I intended]. Perhaps the coral might use it as food? Anyone knows??

colindoug3
06-10-2005, 01:15 PM
We have a red tide off our coast right now.
Use the water.

pk-sd
06-10-2005, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by colindoug3
We have a red tide off our coast right now.....

Where did you get this infromation ?

Dannyboy
06-10-2005, 01:30 PM
I'm sure they referred to New England, what I'm not sure is if they also mentioned San Diego. That entire article was about nothing but New England. It didn't mention San Diego one time. The water is fine.

luistwentyone
06-10-2005, 01:41 PM
water still taste good:D

luistwentyone
06-10-2005, 01:46 PM
link to red tide here in San Diego:

RED TIDE (http://www.kfmb.com/stories/story.14795.html)

pk-sd
06-10-2005, 01:53 PM
So how do we find out when its over ? I am running low on my stock :(

pk-sd
06-10-2005, 01:55 PM
Even my fish started to frown....look...

<--------
:(
<--------

FishProf
06-10-2005, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by luistwentyone
link to red tide here in San Diego:

RED TIDE (http://www.kfmb.com/stories/story.14795.html)

Thanks!

The red tide seems to be only in north couty:
"The local red tide has been seen for almost three weeks and has reached as far south as Solana Beach."

So I think there is no problem with Scripps water, especially if you use it right away.

chevell
06-10-2005, 04:03 PM
I'm pretty certain that the ocean is cleaner than any type of purified water and I'v tested it with good results. All the ORA corals are grown in ocean water and with the rediculas price of salt mixes I'll take the ocean anyday.

pk-sd
06-10-2005, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by FishProf
Thanks!

The red tide seems to be only in north couty:
"The local red tide has been seen for almost three weeks and has reached as far south as Solana Beach."

So I think there is no problem with Scripps water, especially if you use it right away.

I hope you are right, I am going there in an hour. Can you visibly tell if there is a red tide from the pier ?

FishProf
06-10-2005, 04:34 PM
don't know for sure, but in areal photos [newscast] it was like big brown patches.

FP

Edit:
See this http://museum.gov.ns.ca/poison/redtide.htm
and this http://www.whoi.edu/redtide/whathabs/whathabs.html

They say that some of it is toxic to other marine life:
[from http://california.earth911.org/usa/master.asp?s=lib&a=Water/RedTide/RedTide.inc]
"If a bloom approaches a shoreline, one may see its effects of dead fish, a characteristic burning sensation of the eyes and nose, and dry, choking cough. When the bloom is severe, fish die rapidly from the neurotoxic effects of the red tide which enter their bloodstream through the gills. Because the fish die so quickly, these toxins do not have time to build up in their tissue. Fish exposed to lower (sub lethal) concentrations, however, may accumulate these toxins in their body. The toxins can sicken people who consume the affected fish (ciguatera). "

On the other hand:
[http://www.surfline.com/community/whoknows/09_17_red_tide.cfm]
"Fortunately it seems that most of the red tides in Southern California are not toxic, while Florida has had major problems with large toxic red tides in the last few years. It got to the point where your lungs would burn if there was a strong onshore breeze. "

Yes, they reported it as south as Solana Beach.

pk-sd
06-10-2005, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by FishProf
don't know for sure, but in areal photos [newscast] it was like big brown patches.

But the big brown patch was over carlsbad not over la jolla ? correct ?

pk-sd
06-10-2005, 09:15 PM
Well got some Scripps water few hours ago. No sign of red tide there. But then again I have never seen a red tide before.

Have not done water change as I did WC this morning already.

Picture below was taken with my camera phone this evening.

colindoug3
06-11-2005, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by pk-sd
Where did you get this infromation ?
I saw it with my own eyes. Carlsbad, Leucadia, Solana Beach. I havent been any further south. I got water at night a week and a half ago. Couldn't see red tide (it was dark) and didnt see any bioluminescence (all the lights). I did a 5g wc, no ill affect.

maus42
06-11-2005, 02:44 PM
Picked up water today and it looks to be fine. The red tide is deffinitely not that far south. I'll be doing a water change in a bit and I'll you know if there are any ill effects, but I very much doubt it.

ninhsavestheday
06-11-2005, 10:28 PM
oceanside was glowing! lajolla was dark.

shmitr
06-18-2005, 12:29 PM
Well, the red tide is at Scripps now. Just got back and it's pretty thick down there. I did speak to the guy running the filters and he said they are back flushing the filters every hour or so to keep them clean. He also said Hubbs, the fisheries, and the aquarium are still using the water, so I guess if it's good enough for them, it's good enough for my little tank...

shmitr
06-18-2005, 05:48 PM
Um, nevermind. No way I'm using this water, it reeks. Who cares if it's safe, can't have the house smelling like Mission Bay...

pk-sd
06-18-2005, 07:04 PM
How long this red tide suppose to last? I have enough water for about 5 weeks.

aquacultureCS
06-18-2005, 07:52 PM
I work right by the water in Carlsbad and the red tide has been there for several weeks and doesn't seem to be going anywhere. It seemed a little better today but this is pretty much a constant in that area all summer long.

By the way I just joined the site but I've been reading for a few months now.

FishProf
06-18-2005, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by aquacultureCS
I work right by the water in Carlsbad and the red tide has been there for several weeks and doesn't seem to be going anywhere. It seemed a little better today but this is pretty much a constant in that area all summer long.

By the way I just joined the site but I've been reading for a few months now.

Welcome to the board!

FP

MAKASHI
06-19-2005, 01:10 AM
I got water on friday...i never seen red tide before so i used the water...now my house smells like $h1t!!!!!!!!!!! is that smell going to go away?:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Skuzzlebutt
06-19-2005, 06:05 AM
Well, anyone that uses the water or sees the water down there, keep us posted on how the water works or when the red tide is or isn't here. Thanks for all the info and opinions so far!

pk-sd
06-19-2005, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by MAKASHI
I got water on friday...i never seen red tide before so i used the water...now my house smells like $h1t!!!!!!!!!!! is that smell going to go away?:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Run some good quality carbon, like black diamond for few days. It should remove the smell in 24 hours.

aquacultureCS
06-19-2005, 08:00 AM
I've heard you can filter red tide water with a 15 micron mesh or less and it should get out most of the algae cells in the water. I didn't have a 15 micron but I used 20, and I've done two water changes since we've had the red tide and my tank is fine. So, if you have to get water from Scripps I suggest you do this and also run Carbon in case there is any smell left.

dbrooks
06-19-2005, 08:14 AM
I've been watching this post - and have had the attitidue of "just shut up and use the water"...until this morning.

I collected Scripps water on Thursday, and have had it in my garage since then. I just went out and took a whif...WHEW! It's not an overpowering smell - but definitely not "run of the mill" Scripps water.

Unfortunately, I really have no choice since I haven't done a water change in 4 weeks.

Tally ho!

Phischy
06-19-2005, 10:43 AM
Or you can mix your own. You always have a choice.

I was swimming in it yesterday, it's really gross. Only in the sense you can't see anything, it's like swimming in a toilet full of urine. Ugh, I can't wait for it to go away.

ninhsavestheday
06-20-2005, 01:13 AM
yeah the water is gross. the lifeguards were asking poeple if they drank the water because someone was hurling

dbrooks
06-20-2005, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by Phischy
Or you can mix your own. You always have a choice...

Pardon my French - **** THAT! I love un-moderated boards!

Apologize to the underaged set for the language (although I defy you to find a kid over 12 that doesn't have a potty mouth).

I hate mixing - would rather wipe out my entire tank than mix (not really...but it's 2AM...no one's listening anyhow).

DB

Dannyboy
06-20-2005, 07:35 AM
What the hell is everyone talking about the water stinks? I just used about 70gals of it yesterday on all three of my tanks and everything is fine with no smell:confused:

MrKrispy
06-20-2005, 08:34 AM
140000 threads on Scripps water and people still risk using it during a red tide. Real bright.

dbrooks
06-20-2005, 08:37 AM
nobody said we were smart...just cheap!

The kicker is - it works! Never had a problem, never will.

Dannyboy
06-20-2005, 08:42 AM
140000 threads on Scripps water and people still risk using it during a red tide. Real bright. And out of all those threads has anyone reported anything bad happening from using it?

pk-sd
06-20-2005, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by Dannyboy
What the hell is everyone talking about the water stinks? I just used about 70gals of it yesterday on all three of my tanks and everything is fine with no smell:confused:

Red tide must have past !!!:)

Need another confirmation (not that I do not believe you Dan).

Someone call AW and ask them if they are sending their trucks out there again !!!:eek:

suver569
06-20-2005, 09:11 AM
I'm heading down there in a bit, so I'll let everyone know what I find....Not that I'm an expert or anything, but I'll give it a good sniff test.

pk-sd
06-20-2005, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by suver569
I'm heading down there in a bit, so I'll let everyone know what I find....Not that I'm an expert or anything, but I'll give it a good sniff test.

Take picture too....

MrKrispy
06-20-2005, 10:58 AM
And out of all those threads has anyone reported anything bad happening from using it?

yah the thread from a week ago. The infamous "Crash" experienced by several people a few years ago. I think they are all long time Reefers also, I remember reading about it on the SDMAS group too.

farrington300
06-20-2005, 11:00 AM
As a Scuba Instructor i have to fight the red tide every year. for the most part visibility is about 20-25 feet in the la jolla area year round. during the red tide visibility goes down to just about nothing. i was out on firday and i could not even see my compass. i had to bring the compass so that it was just about touching my mask to be able to see it. honestly i would say visibility was less than 2 feet untill i reached a depth of about 50-60 feet then the water clears up and vis goes up to about 40-50 or so feet (the water temperature also drops about 10-12 degrees). thats because all the nutirents in the water need to be in the sunlight and there for cannot exsist at that depth. so why is all this important to our fish tanks? the reason is that it depends on where they collect the water from. if they collect it off the surface a great deal of the "red tide" would make it into our tanks. I personally dont think that they would do that knowing that the same water will be used at scripps and for other aquatic research. also keep in mind that about 2/3 the way down the length of the pier and off to the right there is a canyon that drops off to about 230 feet quite quickly. at that depth there is virtually no nutriets in the water (as sunlight never penetrates that deep). if they collect the water from a depth greater than 60 feet then all of these posts are pretty much worthless and the water is safe. after all i have continued to use the water with no ill effects and i believe most of us who use the water have done the same. i guess the real question is where exactly is the pipe that collects the water.

lucubrator
06-20-2005, 11:25 AM
I posted some information about this a while back. The people at scripps birch aquarium go through the same red tide that the rest of the ocean does, according to the people who take care of it.

The people who run and clean the filters say that the inlet is at the base of the pier, which is at about 60 feet.

treylane
06-20-2005, 11:26 AM
Yup, went on a dive Saturday, red tide is HERE. Water at the shores was startlingly rust-colored. Dunno if it'll hurt your tanks or not - the plankton is perfectly safe, but the plankton die-off may not be.

pk-sd
06-20-2005, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by MrKrispy
yah the thread from a week ago. The infamous "Crash" experienced by several people a few years ago. I think they are all long time Reefers also, I remember reading about it on the SDMAS group too.

Mike I don't remember anyone reporting a tank crash from using Scripps a week ago.

If you are referring to the crash reported by "ricestudios". He was using synthetic water. Maybe I missed something ?

Thread (http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6370&highlight=tank+crash)

MrKrispy
06-20-2005, 01:17 PM
i couldn't find it with the search, I didn't want to read thru 180000 threads, haha. Ironically a google search of this site was easier, but the only thread I got was from september:

From Flamehawk:
Posted by Flamehawk on 09-25-2004 07:01 PM:

I know at least two ppl's tank crashed because of something was in the script's water. And these tanks aren't your 10, 20, 50, 100 125 gal tanks. These tanks are 300 gallon fully stocked with expensive corals and the owners aren't no amature with cash to throw around either. The sea water might be ok most of the time, but only take that one or few time something bad in the water to mass things up. Just be careful when using them. I do agree that they want you to buy water from them though, so they can take more of your money.

But by using mix water you do have more control over what you put into your tank. But whatever works for you, no one says it has to be one way or the other. I did try to go back to script's water few years back, but things didn't work out. So back to mixing water for me.

just my 2 cents.

I don't know if some of the long-timers from SDMAS can chime in, I don't know if they really come here much. The FAQ on their website echos my comments however.

MonsterC
06-20-2005, 02:20 PM
sounds like the water might be good for use if used immediately.but the two people that posted having the smell let it sit for 5hrs on one and a few days on the other.Might be getting die-off and thats causing the foul smell??And others are checking it rightaway??Just my thoughts!!!

Dannyboy
06-20-2005, 02:35 PM
The infamous "Crash" experienced by several people a few years ago You would think that hundreds, and possibly over a thousand tanks across San Diego county, and possibly further, would have crashed as well if it was something in Scripps water, right? Not just several people that so happened to use Scripps water. But then again I've read about salt mixes causing tanks to crash also, on several tanks only. Even though thousands of people buy the same salt with no ill effect. This is just one of those topics that can be argued back and forth forever, with both sides making good points, like DSB's. But lets not get into that again;)

dbrooks
06-20-2005, 02:43 PM
You would think that hundreds, and possibly over a thousand tanks across San Diego county, and possibly further, would have crashed...

my thought, exactly. Down with Mixers!

MrKrispy
06-20-2005, 03:46 PM
i don't think the red tides happen often enough for all the tanks to crash. However when so-and-so has a post like "why did my fish just die" or "corals look like ****, all parameters good, what's wrong???" I tend to think most people overlook the scripps water as a very obvious culprit. I think you gotta really screw up big time -all at once - to crash your tank - i.e. bad scripps water, didn't heat it, haven't bothered to check parameters in months, threw some pennies in to ward off evil spirits, etc...

MonsterC
06-20-2005, 04:01 PM
So pennies in the water is not good.I thought it was how you add copper.DAMN IT!!!!!! And they reflect so cool in there.If its so bad then why doesnt everything die right away.all my corals and fish have lived atleast a week.And one even made it 4.5 weeks.I think it helps!!!!:D :D :D

MAKASHI
06-21-2005, 07:30 AM
Has anyone been to Scripps lately? is the water getting any better?

dbrooks
06-21-2005, 07:32 AM
why do I feel like Bill Murray in Groundhog Day?

WHO CARES!? Just use the water - it's harmless.

MAKASHI
06-21-2005, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by dbrooks
why do I feel like Bill Murray in Groundhog Day?

WHO CARES!? Just use the water - it's harmless.

I used it on saturday and my house started smelling like dead animal.

suver569
06-21-2005, 08:25 AM
Take picture too....

I'd love to...Oh wait, my camera was stolen....:mad:

I'll bring my camcorder though, and take a walk on the beach.

jharr
06-21-2005, 09:19 AM
I got water on Sunday, did a 20% change on Monday. the tank smells fine today. The water I didn't use yet, smells a 'little' funny, but not so bad that I won't use it. The corals and fish are all fine.

Maybe there is a dead animal in your house. :D

Originally posted by MAKASHI
I used it on saturday and my house started smelling like dead animal.

MAKASHI
06-21-2005, 10:38 AM
hahahaha my tank doesn't smell anymore after after the carbon...but i still have 5 gallon of scripps water from friday and when i open it this morning...it reeks!! hahahaha...this is the first time i got scripps water too...bad first experience...but it's ok...i'll keep using it.:D

Diverdan
06-21-2005, 02:46 PM
I filled two 5 gallon jugs of water Friday night (no-smell)and proceeded with my water change process on Monday, While heating and aerating the scripps water I noticed a seriously foul smell.
I chose not to use as I use little filtration on my small tank (25g). I have never smelled sea water that bad, smelled like when you take your tank down and the live sand sits and dies for a few days.

No water change is better than water chnage with foul water, has anyone tested the water for nitrates? I threw mine out before I thought of testing.

suver569
06-21-2005, 04:57 PM
I filled up 35 gallons today, tuesday. Water smelled fine, tasted fine (yes, i tasted it)

I talked with ron @ OG. His opinion was that if you dont HAVE to do a water change, dont bother this week, or use synthetic, but it wont do much to your tank, other than cause a nice algae bloom. I used about 25 gallons on my regect live rock seeding tank, and nothing seemed to mind (what is actually alive that is). Also, ron said that PH above 8.4 will kill the baddies in the red tide, so that's an option also. Bump the ph for a day, and bye bye red tide.

MrKrispy
06-21-2005, 07:54 PM
so then you have a bunch of water with all dead stuff lol

dbrooks
06-21-2005, 08:22 PM
I went down this evening to get water. Dead stuff EVERYWHERE. Fish, whales, dolphin, people - all because of the dreaded RED TIDE!!

I filled up and when home. Changed my water - and all hell broke loose. My percs gave spontaneous live birth. The crabs turned into lobsters, gobies became two headed stingrays.

This is good ****. I suggest YOU get some before the red tide is gone!

BrookR1
06-21-2005, 08:30 PM
LOL....sounds like you've been sippin' it on the side.

jthornley
06-22-2005, 12:24 AM
I did two small water changes since last saturday using the Scripps water. The only side effect was that my skimmer got REALLY nasty. I had to unhook it and clean it out since it was no longer skimming due to being coated in junk.

colindoug3
06-22-2005, 12:25 AM
^^ Previous two posts made this thread, and my night. Christ, use the F'in water.

lucubrator
06-22-2005, 08:05 AM
He has a fish tank too?!

jharr
06-22-2005, 08:21 AM
Yeah, it's called "The Oceans Of The World", and He doesn't mind a red tide once in a while.:)

mojoreason
06-22-2005, 09:23 AM
The last time I was out at Scripps I ran into an engineer who was out there. I asked him about the water quality and the tank filtration ... he said that the big drums are sand filtration and that the aquarium uses the water non-stop without any other sort of other filtration methods and they have NO PROBLEMS.

Of course, I told him how skeptical I was of what he was saying and he just laughed at me. I was like, well - - I've got hundreds of dollars of stuff in my tank - - and he shakes his head and says - - yeah, the aquarium has hudreds of thousands of dollars of stuff in theirs.

Hmmm ... good point. He then said that it's safe during rain, after the rain - - whenever ... that's why the filtration is set up as it is.

Now - - I've seen some weird floaties in my Scripps before ... I've had some higher than average gravity numbers ... but it's never whacked out my tank - - so maybe that old engineer is right .?.?.?

dbrooks
06-22-2005, 09:31 AM
I just called Scripps aquarium and was told that they ONLY use water that they buy from AW! He said:

"AW water is the best"! They mix salt all day, every day. They spend millions a year on salt in a bag.

The water that comes out of the tap at the pier is actually from the sewage plant in Point Loma. Who knew!?

MrKrispy
06-22-2005, 09:58 AM
well the lobsters seem to love the sewage outflow in Point Loma haha

ninhsavestheday
06-22-2005, 11:05 AM
I just called Scripps aquarium and was told that they ONLY use water that they buy from AW! He said:

"AW water is the best"! They mix salt all day, every day. They spend millions a year on salt in a bag.

The water that comes out of the tap at the pier is actually from the sewage plant in Point Loma. Who knew!?

YEAH! I CONCUR! AW has the best livestock, best prices in town! I go there to buy all my stuff. And their customer service and knowledge is A+++ ;)

farrington300
06-22-2005, 11:48 AM
I think that the only way we can solve the Scripps vs. synthetic water problem is to arm-wrestle for it. I think that each team should choose their largest strongest person and we should settle this once and for all.

pk-sd
06-22-2005, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by farrington300
I think that the only way we can solve the Scripps vs. synthetic water problem is to arm-wrestle for it. I think that each team should choose their largest strongest person and we should settle this once and for all.

LOL.....

peterluber
06-24-2005, 09:38 PM
thats good to knowthat we can always use scripps water. ive always used it. about the red tide, though, i saw the most amazing thing the other night. i was at the beach at night, and i n sand with just the right amount of water in it, my footsteps glowed, and if i dragged my fingers in the sand, the dinoflaggelates lit up in a trail after it for a second. its incredible.

ricestudios
06-25-2005, 11:57 PM
i went over to torrypines beach, it was great! i took some water from the ocean and went home and did the glow thing. it was kewl! i just shook it and it lit upi. that as kewl then i took vinigar and put some in and everything sparkled! it was kewl. but before i tried it, you can see the actual cells inlight. that was kewl.

farrington300
06-26-2005, 09:42 PM
When i go out night diving i turn off my light and everything glows. its really awsome when i look over at my dive buddy and he is glowing completely blue.

Skuzzlebutt
06-27-2005, 06:41 AM
So I went down last night, and the water didn't smell too good. I was there with Suver earlier in the week and the water he was getting smelled fine. So maybe it is just hit or miss as far as the smell goes. It might be safe, but I'm not crazy about the smell, so I'll probably wait and go get another batch later this week.

Skuzzlebutt
07-02-2005, 07:57 AM
Just an update for those people that care:

I smelled the previous batch I talked about after it had been sitting for a few days and it smelled REAL bad. So I dumped it and went back to Scripps yesterday (Friday) to try again. Sure enough, it still smelled bad. Not as bad as the stuff that sat around, but still not good. I decided to go ahead and use it to set up my new 18 gallon tank since it was still empty and I could just let it churn in there for a few days and check on the smell/water quality.

So I filled up the tank and before I got all the filters and power heads going, I noticed a small pile of red dust on the bottom of the tank. Figured it was just micro organisims and nothing I could do anything about, so I turned everything on and let it start to churn. The dust re-suspended right away, it was very fine. The skimmer (CPR backpack) started going crazy, lots of froth and skimate, but it didn't last that long and didn't even fill the collection cup (been set up for 12 hours now).

So last night as I was going to sleep, I got up to try and quite the skimmer a little by adjusting the bubble inlet. At first I thought someone was flashing a light into my room when I got up close to the tank trying to find the inlet in the dark. Then I realized my tank was glowing. Tons of little specks that were lighting electric blue for a second then fading like fire flies. It was quite cool. In the CPR back pack there was even another pile of the red stuff and it was sparking with light all over the place. I had to wake up my wife to check it out. You can't see it from a distance, only with your eyes a foot away from the tank.

So, does this change anything about using or not using the water? Don't think so, buy I'll keep an eye on this little tank and let everyone know about it. I'll test the water today and look for the glowing again tonight.

pk-sd
07-02-2005, 08:45 AM
Yes of course we care when it comes to Scripps water! Thanks for posting.

As much as I would like to see this red tide go away. Some the experiences people are having with this water sure is very interesting.

So what did your wife say after you woke her up to see that? Probably just rolled her eyes and mutter something !

Skuzzlebutt
07-02-2005, 10:52 AM
LOL! Actually, she is quite into this stuff with me right now. So she was quite excited and thanked me for getting her up since it might not be there tonight.

Dakota
07-02-2005, 11:26 AM
Any NSW up near Ventura???

wsonner
07-02-2005, 11:29 AM
I flew out of SAN to San Jose last weekend. Took off of RWY 27 so we went out over the water. It was BLOOD red! There was no mistaking the red tide and it went from San Diego all the way up to about LA. It was really beautiful in a kind of sick way.

EyeReef
07-03-2005, 11:50 AM
is there water okay to use as of right now!? Anybody tried it recently?

maus42
07-03-2005, 12:31 PM
I went to pick some up Thursday and it smelled and looked pretty nasty right out of the hose. Me thinks I'll be mixing for a little while.

Nick_Kun
07-03-2005, 12:57 PM
I got some last wednesday in the afternoon. It smelled just fine and the water looks normal. I didn't do my water change until sat. morning and everything looks good.

lucubrator
07-03-2005, 02:58 PM
I got some thursday and everything is fine.

T. VO
07-03-2005, 03:12 PM
Got water last Wed. as well and everythings fine.

wsonner
07-04-2005, 12:40 PM
I want some...where do I get it??

Wes

colindoug3
07-04-2005, 01:21 PM
from jetor's post in another thread best sums it up:
-52 West
-Exit Ardath Rd/La Jolla Parkway
-Come down the hill and at the second stop light turn right which is La Jolla Shores Dr
-Follow La Jolla Shore Dr till you hit the Scripps Institute and turn left at the Discovery Way (Naga Entrance) and follow this down to the pier.

Hope this helps.......if not just do a search on La Jolla in Yahoo Maps, bring the map to street level and it lists the pier (hint: it is near the ocean.....haha)

JT

if you want more info etc search naga way using the search feature. using scripps water pier etc will probably have to many results.

wsonner
07-04-2005, 01:32 PM
You're awesome. Thank you!

Originally posted by colindoug3
from jetor's post in another thread best sums it up:
-52 West
-Exit Ardath Rd/La Jolla Parkway
-Come down the hill and at the second stop light turn right which is La Jolla Shores Dr
-Follow La Jolla Shore Dr till you hit the Scripps Institute and turn left at the Discovery Way (Naga Entrance) and follow this down to the pier.

Hope this helps.......if not just do a search on La Jolla in Yahoo Maps, bring the map to street level and it lists the pier (hint: it is near the ocean.....haha)

JT

if you want more info etc search naga way using the search feature. using scripps water pier etc will probably have to many results.

Skuzzlebutt
07-15-2005, 09:33 AM
Is the red tide still going on? Anyone been down there recently?

dbrooks
07-15-2005, 09:43 AM
was there this AM. all is well. No RT.

wsonner
07-15-2005, 09:47 AM
Guy at AW yesterday told me, "Oh you don't want to use Scripps water right now. It's DEADLY!"

Ug

jthornley
07-15-2005, 10:26 AM
Lol,

Umm ok...

Daniel
07-15-2005, 11:59 AM
was there this AM. all is well. No RT. yep indeed, i can confirm that as well, the water is no longer a sludgy brownish rust color, and the nice turquoise-blue tinge of the water has returned! :D

luistwentyone
07-15-2005, 12:25 PM
water is back to having that great taste.:p

farrington300
07-15-2005, 12:33 PM
one more for a 100,
I was out diving a few times this week and the red tide is gone.

Nick_Kun
07-15-2005, 12:39 PM
I got the 100th post. Anyways, I got 25gal yesterday and did a water change.

Flamehawk
07-15-2005, 01:09 PM
I was flying to vegas for convention last wednesday, still see some redness in the water, but things looks a bit different from up so high. I can't tell you exactly from where to where and where it starts/ends. Plus my neck was killing me from looking out the window too long. I only know is some where north of downtown SD. How far north, can't tell you. :D

wsonner
07-16-2005, 06:48 PM
Just filled up my 55g barrel from PM Chemical with Scripps water. Water tasted great :-). But now it smells like Dr. Pepper, ahahaha.

colindoug3
07-17-2005, 01:19 PM
i surfed in oceanside thursday. water is still browny red up this way. it seems like it may be on decline though...

REEFWAVE
07-28-2005, 10:20 AM
i finally made it down to scripps the other day for the first time and saw a notice that the high volume hose at this location would not be available after Aug. 1st. are they taking out the tap or just trying to stop people taking very large quantities?

wsonner
07-28-2005, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by REEFWAVE
i finally made it down to scripps the other day for the first time and saw a notice that the high volume hose at this location would not be available after Aug. 1st. are they taking out the tap or just trying to stop people taking very large quantities?

If I remember right that sign was dated a year or more ago...not sure. I just assumed they had already removed the high volume hose and left the garden hose for us chumps.

Dannyboy
07-28-2005, 10:25 AM
Doesn't it say August 1, 2001 or something like that?
Edit: beat me to it

mojoreason
07-28-2005, 10:30 AM
that notice has been there for days ... they are only talking about the ability for people to come in there and hook up those monster hoses and fill their trucks.

i've seen a couple in there doing it and it's always with a Scripps engineer running the hose. if you look at the spigot, it has that monster valve and switch above the hose where we get our water.

this will not affect hobbyists getting water.

lucubrator
07-28-2005, 11:28 PM
Doesn't it say August 1, 2001 or something like that?

The elevator certificates in my building expired in august 2001 and physical plant serivces hasn't done anything about it. I think the high volume hose will be on for another ten years before something's done.

Filo
07-29-2005, 10:08 AM
That sign has been up for a few years. if i remember correctly PPS guy told me that people(water trucks) were abusing the privilege. more traffic there during the day, and few other reasons i cant remember. if you need that high volume hose i think you can get a key.

Filo
07-29-2005, 03:10 PM
i just got back from scripps. no red tide. sign posted for high volume hoses is dated aug 1, 2003. lock is gone. so forget the key thing in my post above.

lucubrator
07-29-2005, 08:38 PM
I talked to an operator today named jesse and asked about the sign. He said that the people filling large trucks were selling the water for $1, so the people funding scripps aren't happy about that. There are permits issued to people who are allowed to take the water, and those without a permit will be fined by the police, but that's coming down the pipe, as he put it.

mojoreason
07-30-2005, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by lucubrator
He said that the people filling large trucks were selling the water for $1, so the people funding scripps aren't happy about that.

A dollar ... per gallon or just for one dollar? If it's coming down the pipe - - it sure is taking a long time.

It still won't affect hobbyists though -- at least as I understand it.
:rolleyes:

pk-sd
07-30-2005, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by lucubrator
I talked to an operator today named jesse and asked about the sign. He said that the people filling large trucks were selling the water for $1, so the people funding scripps aren't happy about that. There are permits issued to people who are allowed to take the water, and those without a permit will be fined by the police, but that's coming down the pipe, as he put it.

Is Jesse the guy with a pony tail. I think he makes things up as he goes along. We hear a different story from him every time.

Going to permits might not be that bad. It would probably be free or nominal fee for a year. I think the idea is stop LFS to stop filling 500 gallon tankers every week and making profit from it. And we all have a problem with that. Its our natural resource and should be free.

Come to think of it, we should not have to pay for gas either....yeah thats the ticket....:D

chevell
07-30-2005, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by shmitr
Um, nevermind. No way I'm using this water, it reeks. Who cares if it's safe, can't have the house smelling like Mission Bay... The water at mission bay does'nt smell at all and if it did it's because people upstream don't pick up after pets and all that gets flushed into the bay and ocean everytime it rains. Someone in clairmont bashing mission bay? wow you have problems man.

chevell
07-30-2005, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by wsonner
Guy at AW yesterday told me, "Oh you don't want to use Scripps water right now. It's DEADLY!"

Ug That water is'nt deadly at all in fact I have been using it for water changes for 4 weeks now with no deaths at all, so it looks as if Ron, being the typicle reef know it all, does'nt know much. Ron might do well to have a look at his own tanks to see why his water has been green.

mojoreason
07-30-2005, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by chevell
it looks as if Ron, being the typicle reef know it all, does'nt know much.

Isn't Ron at OG? And so far as a LFS telling you not to use FREE Scripps saltwater - - it's 'cause they f'n sell salt to make water and you getting free water takes away dinero from them. d'oh - an untruth at a LFS? :rolleyes:

lucubrator
07-30-2005, 01:23 PM
Is Jesse the guy with a pony tail. I think he makes things up as he goes along. We hear a different story from him every time.

Going to permits might not be that bad. It would probably be free or nominal fee for a year. I think the idea is stop LFS to stop filling 500 gallon tankers every week and making profit from it. And we all have a problem with that. Its our natural resource and should be free.

Jesse was a well kept guy, a bit larger than the guy with the pony tail. He said that the permits wouldn't have any effect on "you guys" just the people with the 4k gallon tankers.

Originally posted by mojoreason
A dollar ... per gallon or just for one dollar? If it's coming down the pipe - - it sure is taking a long time.

A dollar per gallon was his figure, it's more like $.75, right?

Flamehawk
07-30-2005, 02:52 PM
not again with mix or nsw discussion...this kind discussion will never end. If it works for you, do it. why have to point finger at people. Maybe you just haven't experienced things they experienced and they found out the other way works better for them. Doesn't make them wrong. Bottom line is that as long as your animal do well, that's all that matters.

lucubrator
07-30-2005, 02:55 PM
My question was the price that the LFS sell water from scripps for, not the cost per gallon to buy salt.
You're much too kind george.

mojoreason
07-30-2005, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by Flamehawk
not again with mix or nsw discussion...this kind discussion will never end. If it works for you, do it. why have to point finger at people.

Whoa Tiger ... just saying from what I've heard from the Scripps engineers - it's not deadly EVER. Whatever works for people is just fine ... but I get so tired of hearing every damn fish store telling people that Scripps water is deadly or bad or gross or whatever moniker they'd like to use.

I've been to that Scripps aquarium several times - it ALWAYS looks good and they never stop using the Scripps water that is available to us hobbyists free of charge at the pier.

Not trying to be uncool or flame. DO WHATEVER YOU WANT ... :eek:

OneMoreMike
08-06-2005, 04:33 PM
Anyone adding any chlorine to their Scripps water? The chlorine should kill off anything; most of it will evaporate, then you can just add some Amquel, stress coat or whatever before you put it in the tank.

I am out of water and need to get some this week, I though I'd try that. Any concerns? Yeah, I know... the red tide shouldn't hurt anything, but I figure killing off everything just to make sure shouldn't hurt either....

I'll test for ammonia before adding it to the tank, but other than an ammonia spike from die-off, I'd think it should be fine. Any idea on how much chlorine to add?

SHROOM
08-06-2005, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by OneMoreMike
Anyone adding any chlorine to their Scripps water? The chlorine should kill off anything; most of it will evaporate, then you can just add some Amquel, stress coat or whatever before you put it in the tank.

I am out of water and need to get some this week, I though I'd try that. Any concerns? Yeah, I know... the red tide shouldn't hurt anything, but I figure killing off everything just to make sure shouldn't hurt either....

I'll test for ammonia before adding it to the tank, but other than an ammonia spike from die-off, I'd think it should be fine. Any idea on how much chlorine to add?

If you are going do all that, why not just mix your own water?

I started using scripps water right when there was a red tide. I was fighting a losing battle against hair algae and figure I got nothing to lose using scripps water.

My hair algae is now under control thanks in part to a lot of scripps water change.
My soft corals never look better and my fishes also are happier due to weekly water change using Scripps water.

I had bad experience with Amquel+: Tried using it to treat my tab water. Put in a bucket of water with power head running for 2 days then tested it for ammonia. Got very high ammonia reading. Ammonia level in that same water was 0 before I use Amquel+. I think Amquel+ removes chlorine from chloramine and leaves lot of ammonia in the water.

Just my 2 cents.

phishphood
08-06-2005, 06:50 PM
Not sure about Amquel leaving ammonia in the water, but you sure as heck don't have to add chlorine to scripps water. It's just fine as is..... IMHO

eric808
08-09-2005, 09:55 AM
For people using Scripps water. What do you do before you put it in your tank. Any Quarantine period, test, or chemicals added.

phishphood
08-09-2005, 10:04 AM
being my lazy self....the water sits anywhere from 10 minutes - 3 days in a bucket outside, and then gets pumped in. probably should heat it though, and I think someone said it's a little low on alk so maybe buffer, but I don't have a test so I don't.

MrKrispy
08-09-2005, 10:16 AM
I wish someone with an extra skimmer would run some fresh scripps water with the skimmer for a week, so we can see what comes out.

MAKASHI
08-09-2005, 10:17 AM
i would go to scripps once a month...and fill up 4 5g jugs...i do 5 gallon water changes every week...i just add b ionic part 1&2

phishphood
08-09-2005, 11:22 AM
I can run some 4 day old scripps water through a remora..that work krispy?

MrKrispy
08-09-2005, 12:10 PM
I was hoping someone with a euro-reef or ASM could try.....the remoras (I have one) don't pull out as much crud.

mojoreason
08-09-2005, 08:56 PM
AAaaaaaagggghhhh!!

It's the ATTACK OF THE THREAD THAT WOULDN'T DIE!

:eek:

colindoug3
08-09-2005, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by mojoreason
AAaaaaaagggghhhh!!

It's the ATTACK OF THE THREAD THAT WOULDN'T DIE!

:eek:
god damn, no kidding.

phishphood
08-10-2005, 09:38 AM
well if we go back to the original point of the thread...anyone know why the water around scripps/la jolla shores is so red lately? is it back....? :rolleyes:

edit: nevermind, question got answered.

Dannyboy
08-10-2005, 09:44 AM
It's the ATTACK OF THE THREAD THAT WOULDN'T DIE! Dont make me start fragging my bleh!:D

SHROOM
08-10-2005, 01:47 PM
Dont make me start fragging my bleh!:D

would Scripps water kills bleh? If not I'd like a couple of frags.:D

mojoreason
08-10-2005, 02:27 PM
Dont make me start fragging my bleh!:D

DIBS ON ALL YOUR BLEH!

Seriously -- I sent like a ton of pm's - but your inbox is full ... I called but an answering machine answered ... I dibs it first, first, first!!! :cool: