PDA

View Full Version : curing aragocrete?

nitrogenbubbles
06-09-2005, 06:33 PM
Anyone out there have a good place in SD to do ocean curing Aragocrete? we will be arriving soon, building new 100G show and I think live rock sold in dry boxes is a rip(not to mention 500000 people in america alone using 5-300lbs of reef zone per tank is killing the reefs:(). Help needed and a good start on friend to share the life with.

kjsreef
06-09-2005, 07:25 PM
Not to be a nay-sayer, but wouldnt curing live rock in temperate conditions like SD and then trying to keep it in a tropical tank just lead to a massive dieoff. Or are you just trying to let the pH equilibrate?

just wondering?

brahm
06-09-2005, 08:06 PM
there is not point in doing this, the water is way to cold you won't get the life your looking for, just cure it in a bucket like everybody else.

suver569
06-09-2005, 08:42 PM
The best way to cure it is to plop it in a tank of already cured live rock. That will transfer the good stuff over to the aragocrete, and after some time, get coraline growing on it.

Curing it in the ocean would be a hard task IMO. Cure in it a tank of saltwater with some live rock, and it'll do just fine.

shmitr
06-09-2005, 10:09 PM
We have free filtered ocean water here in SD from Scripps Institute of Oceanography so it's much easier (and cheaper) to do some of the larger water changes associated with curing something like that.

Oh yeah, welcome to SDReefs. This is hands down the best place for reef stuff in San Diego...

nitrogenbubbles
06-09-2005, 11:58 PM
Ph and not having to constantly change water....I am not looking for much growth....i will seed my rock/sand with reef grunge from GARF as soon as the rock is "ocean cured"not unless someone in the community has a better(cheaper) source

plus this is mainly going to be base rock anyways. at least for now...depends on if i get a creation I like.

thanks forthe relief info on water sorces :D no more synth salts :))

nitrogenbubbles
06-10-2005, 12:00 AM
If you have a tanks, lift bags, and the works....curing isn't tha difficult:) I love being a diver. speaking of....any one know the law on collecting abalone in San Diego?

dt90gt
06-10-2005, 12:32 AM
Well I'm not positive, but I believe the rule for abalone is 1 per diver per day. It also may be only free diving as well. Abalone are somewhat endagered, and the sea otters get first dibs =)

lucubrator
06-10-2005, 02:00 AM
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mrd/abalone.html
That was the best I could find.

brahm
06-10-2005, 02:26 AM
...well good luck with that, seems like over kill to me.. It's not like you have any die off on the the rock, i'd just get a rubber maid tub, fill it up with sw, and call it a day.