PDA

View Full Version : MAX 2010 is THIS WEEKEND!!!

MadMax
04-08-2010, 03:02 AM
The Marine Aquarium Expo is THIS WEEKEND!!!

What to expect at MAX this Saturday and Sunday

FOR THE ADULTS:
1) 200+ vendors exhibiting in 75 different booths
2) 20 different Livestock Sellers
3) 13 different Lighting Manufacturers
4) 6 quality inspirational Speakers
5) 6 different Clubs that we fully support with free booths
6) 1,500 Swag Bags to the first 1,500 attendees
7) 2,700 full-color 200-page books by Bob Fenner (FREE
8) 3,000 copies of Tropical Fish Hobbyist Magazine (FREE)
9) Latest and Greatest Innovative products showcased
10) OVER $20,000 OF DONATED PRODUCTS TO BE RAFFLED IN THE LARGEST OPPORTUNITY DRAWING YOU’VE EVER SEEN!
Our website shows only a small portion of what is really available:
http://www.marineaquariumexpo.com/attendee/Raffle/raffle.html

FOR THE KIDS:
10) Brandnew 20’x20’ FinZone featuring the MAXtropolis
11) Our own real-life “Aqua the Mermaid” will be at MAX both days
12) Our very own “Capt’n Jack” will be at MAX Saturday only
13) Our signature 300 gallon 8’x4’ acrylic Children’s Touch Tank
14) Thousands of Dollars in livestock provided by Segarest Farms
15) Sharks, Searays, Shrimp, Mollusks, Crabs, Fish, ect. GALORE!
16) Eight Special Educational Streamers surround the Touch Tank
17) Kids Drawing: Prizes and more Prizes
18) The MAX “Doodle Art” Drawing and Coloring Spectaclular
19) Free Face Painting and Photo Taking Opportunities
20) ALL KIDS 12-YEARS OF AGE OR YOUNGER ADMITTED ABSOLUTELY FREE!!! (must be accompanied by a paying adult)

WHERE:
OC Fair & Event Center, Building #18
88 Fair Drive, Costa Mesa, CA 92626
Enter off of Arlington Drive (North side of Fair grounds) $5 parking

WHEN:
Saturday and Sunday, April 10 - 11, 2010
10:00 AM to 6:00 PM both days

WHAT:
The Marine Aquarium Expo is the Largest Aquarium Event in North America! Bring the entire family for a great weekend of fun!

WHY:
“On behalf of the entire Marine Aquarium Expo staff and family members, I would like to thank you for helping to support and sustain the spirit of the saltwater aquarium hobby”

“WE DO WHAT WE DO FOR PEOPLE LIKE YOU!”
K.A. 04-08-10

sandogrob
04-08-2010, 07:35 AM
How much to get in?

RussM
04-08-2010, 11:07 AM
$15/day

SDguy
04-08-2010, 07:01 PM
So who is going? Stop by the SDMAS booth to say hello!

467echo
04-09-2010, 12:17 PM
I'm going, bringing the wife and kiddo. We'll stop and say hi on our way to the aqua mermaid booth!

Matt M
04-09-2010, 01:55 PM
Who's going on sunday?

RussM
04-09-2010, 02:30 PM
Who's going on sunday?I am! :bounce:

Matt M
04-09-2010, 02:35 PM
If anyone needs a ride i am going on sunday. Leaving from encinitas. Just let me know.

LarryM
04-09-2010, 07:01 PM
Who's going on sunday?

I am going sunday

reefrf
04-09-2010, 07:22 PM
I'll be there on Sunday.

kck
04-12-2010, 11:25 AM
who else thought this year's MAX wasn't quite as good as last year?

- less reef vendors
- less frag swap
- whole row of non-reef vendors
- Sunday raffle was a joke
- what was with the ladies in mermaid costumes? some wheren't bare mid-drift/bikini top types
- food outside last year rocked. this year I got to eat a terriaki bowl served by some lady without a hairnet, scooping rice out of a bowl and handing it to some dude that poured on the topings and had his thumb touching the food! wth?
- a couple of the vendors even complained to me

On the positive side
- it was in a nicer building, so from the outside it looked great!
- Bob Fenner book in SWAG bag is nice.

SDguy
04-12-2010, 11:38 AM
- whole row of non-reef vendors

What do you mean? (I didn't go this year).

junkie
04-12-2010, 11:59 AM
I agree the past two shows were far superior to this year. I think that the livestock vendors saw it coming hence the weak showing of amount of vendors. But at the price per booth and the virtual ghost town of attendee's I can't blame them. The speakers on Saturday was so unorganized I went with john Ciotti to get the scoop on his presentation and they had to ask him his name and what time he was supposed to go on at least a half dozen times. I'm glad I went on Saturday to score some nugs, by the end of the day it seemed that nothing was left (on the high end side). I really hope next year they can get thier act together. Oh yeah who won the 10 grand from giving all your info away lol!!!:ohsnap:

Nick_Kun
04-12-2010, 12:10 PM
Wow, bummer.

kck
04-12-2010, 12:13 PM

When you walked in a went straight down the first row it was all non-reef. someone selling trips to Hawaii, other stuff that I just ignored. and at the end there was a guy with snakes in a cage. Felt like I was sold out being attacked by non-reef soliciting.

kck
04-12-2010, 12:14 PM
I agree the past two shows were far superior to this year. I think that the livestock vendors saw it coming hence the weak showing of amount of vendors. But at the price per booth and the virtual ghost town of attendee's I can't blame them. The speakers on Saturday was so unorganized I went with john Ciotti to get the scoop on his presentation and they had to ask him his name and what time he was supposed to go on at least a half dozen times. I'm glad I went on Saturday to score some nugs, by the end of the day it seemed that nothing was left (on the high end side). I really hope next year they can get thier act together. Oh yeah who won the 10 grand from giving all your info away lol!!!:ohsnap:

I wish I went Saturday. that 150 gal LeeMar would have been nice in my living room. What's with the 10 grand?

stephj03
04-12-2010, 02:03 PM

About 15% of the booths were vendors that were not directly reef related. Pacific Monarch time shares basically had an entire wall on the right side of the building as you came in the entrance.

U.S. census
Pacific Monarch resorts (timeshares)
Shell vacation club (more timeshares)
Karen Talbot art (eco themed painter from Laguna)
Mohr power (residential solar panels)
LA pet fair (this is where the next MAX will be at)
Rescue tape (silicone tape for plumbing/sailing/auto/aviation)
aquacraft (r/c boats? don't remember this one)

There are also listings on the floor plan for:
Inland craft
aquatech
I don't remember what these where but I dont' think they were reef related either

Rob619
04-12-2010, 02:39 PM
wow im kinda glad i didnt go then

RussM
04-12-2010, 04:11 PM
Inland craft
aquacraft
Inland was demonstrating a diamond-blade wet band saw adapted for fragging. There was one raffled off too.

AquaCraft makes marine salts and other additives.

But yeah, there were a bunch of crap booths...

RussM
04-12-2010, 04:12 PM
IMO, RAP is usually better for livestock anyway.

kck
04-12-2010, 07:18 PM
did anyone see that guy from one of the LA reef clubs that set up a two-part doser using Target timers and aqua-lifters? pretty dope. I'm going to post pics.

MadMax
04-13-2010, 10:32 PM
About 15% of the booths were vendors that were not directly reef related. Pacific Monarch time shares basically had an entire wall on the right side of the building as you came in the entrance.

U.S. census
Pacific Monarch resorts (timeshares)
Shell vacation club (more timeshares)
Karen Talbot art (eco themed painter from Laguna)
Mohr power (residential solar panels)
LA pet fair (this is where the next MAX will be at)
Rescue tape (silicone tape for plumbing/sailing/auto/aviation)
aquacraft (r/c boats? don't remember this one)

Inland craft
aquatech
I don't remember what these where but I dont' think they were reef related either

I don't quite understand your agenda:
Pacific Monarch: yes, timeshare related
Shell Vacation Club: sells trips to Hawaii; quite related to marine sports.
Karen Talbot Art: Artist of marine animals and ocean scenery
Mohr Power: Solar energy alternative to our $400+ monthly electric bills
LA Pet Fair: Where our next AQUARIUM-RELATED event will be held: www.aquariumpondexpo.com
Rescue Tape: Very applicable to reef plumbing; emergency device
Aquacraft: Aquarium Salt; must I elaborate further?
Inland Craft: Fragging tools for reef hobbyists
Aquatech: Phytoplankton farmer: Phyto2 brand coral food

Some simple research (er, a few clicks of a button on our website) would have enlightened you to these facts.

Thankyou for your participation of the Marine Aquarium Expo. Constructive criticism is always welcome however simple unknowns should be researched futher before posting, please

stephj03
04-14-2010, 12:20 AM
Earlier in the thread, someone commented that there was a row of non-reef vendors.

Someone else asked for clarification on this comment.

I was trying to provide that. No agenda, sorry if I offended.

MadMax
04-14-2010, 06:42 AM
No offense taken, Steph, just wanted to clarify these legitimate vendors.

Actually your post was not bad, hence why we responded to set straight what seems to be a simply misunderstanding.

Its the other comments such as "not worth the drive" or "don't bother" that are so ludicrous and uncalled for that we refuse to address such juvenile behavior. My wife pour our heart and soul into these events for the families and hobbyists who enjoy them, not those looking for a coral flea market. There is a far broader and crucial audience that we are trying to reach.
Nonetheless, we do wish to please as many people as possible, so we'll see what we can do to include the hobbyist sellers next year. This will require a significantly larger venue though.

It appears mid April was not ideal for some (we were forced by Easter this year) however this is self-correcting as MAX 2011 is back to its usual first weekend of the month: April 2-3. We have much to study, correct, and improve upon before next year. MAX 2011 will not be "business as usual", trust me.

bpro32
04-14-2010, 06:51 AM
For what it's worth, I went up knowing I had no room in my tank to buy stuff and still had a good time bringing home almost nothing but freebies. I had fun and it was well worth the trip from San Diego.

JAHGYDI
04-14-2010, 06:57 AM
that was the best 12.50 coors light ive ever had. it was way better than the 2.25 one i had an hour earlier.

MadMax
04-14-2010, 07:08 AM
that was the best 12.50 coors light ive ever had. it was way better than the 2.25 one i had an hour earlier.

This is a legitimate gripe and I do appologize. I can't imagine what justifies such outrageous markups on simple beer sales. You of course must know we have absolutely nothing to do with the fair grounds consession stands. They have contracted agreements just like any other venue. I as a promoter have no control whatsoever in these matters.

JAHGYDI
04-14-2010, 07:19 AM
its cool nobody forced me to buy it. next year ill smuggle my own in. haha

stephj03
04-14-2010, 12:31 PM

Someone on RC said their MAX ticket was honored by the swap meet on the fair grounds and beer over there was much cheaper.

Techknowledgy
04-14-2010, 12:56 PM
I went last year. Walked away with tons of freebies, and some great raffle prizes. I was totally bummed that I missed it this year, but I guess it turned out to be a good year to miss it. I am sure folks have learned from mistakes and it will improve for next year.

MadMax
04-16-2010, 08:40 AM
I went last year. Walked away with tons of freebies, and some great raffle prizes. I was totally bummed that I missed it this year, but I guess it turned out to be a good year to miss it. I am sure folks have learned from mistakes and it will improve for next year.

We are getting nothing but praise from our exhibitors, some who had record sales this past weekend. Our attendance was down compared to last years MAX, so what? We were forced into the middle of the month by Easter this year, and hence conflicted with a number of competing events that same weekend. The number of bodies occupying a given space does not translate into sales, nor indicate whether a show was bad or not. The RAP crowd are desperately trying capitalize on this and claim a winning stroke as if their show had something to do with it, LOL. Hardly

maus42
04-16-2010, 11:09 PM
We are getting nothing but praise from our exhibitors, some who had record sales this past weekend. Our attendance was down compared to last years MAX, so what? We were forced into the middle of the month by Easter this year, and hence conflicted with a number of competing events that same weekend. The number of bodies occupying a given space does not translate into sales, nor indicate whether a show was bad or not. The RAP crowd are desperately trying capitalize on this and claim a winning stroke as if their show had something to do with it, LOL. Hardly

First off thanks for putting up MAX again this year... this is the first time in 3 years I went for the sole purpose to spend money.... not make it :P

And I sure hope some of the exhibitors were happy... I spent twice the amount of money I had set out for myself... the end total is so much I won't even mention it here. But I go a ton of awesome coral at great prices... lots of aquactulured stuff this year which was nice to see. $60 for a 4 eye 1" diameter fully healed Miami Hurricane for instance. And lots of rare, super awesome stuff. Anyone see the $2000 fungia plate that Reef Empire had on display?