PDA

View Full Version : Powerfilters

Reefkeeper
06-08-2005, 07:19 PM
I'm curious as to what brand of powerfilter everyone uses? (if you use one)

Personally, I have a Penguin Bio-Wheel 200. I have had 2 - Penguin Bio-Wheel 330's, Skilter 250, 4 - Whisper 2 (old 20) and 1 Whisper 1.

I am looking for a new powerfilter for a 10 gal I am setting up. Ron suggested getting a Aquaclear 20 but I dont have any experience with that brand. How would that compare to the Whispers? (I am not comparing the Bio-wheel, as it would be unfair.)

pk-sd
06-08-2005, 07:28 PM
AquaClear are great. I have 4 of them on my three tanks. One of them 9 years old. They are cheap, super quite and versatile.

I like AC powerheads also.....

Dakota
06-08-2005, 08:23 PM
Aquaclears all the way. they take a beating. . .

Reefkeeper
06-09-2005, 12:31 AM
How does the filter media work with the Aquaclears. It appears to be separate parts...foam, carbon, biomax, etc.

With all the powerfilters I am used to using they were self contained media such as the Biobags or Rite size cartridges.

Dakota
06-09-2005, 06:12 AM
It's simple. You have your foam, your carbon bag, and foom for one more. I use purigen, and other medias such as chemi-pure as well. If you are using the sponge for mechancial filtration, be sure to rinse it well at least weekly to prevent nitrates.

MrKrispy
06-09-2005, 07:41 AM
i only use aquaclears.

Bit of advice for reeftanks: don't use the carbon insert that comes with the aquaclear power filters, very low quality and releases a ton of phosphates.

Dannyboy
06-09-2005, 08:30 AM
I actually prefer Whisper filters. I dont like aqua clears cause the water just runs right over the media and does not make much contact with it. With a Whisper it forces the water through the bag before it leaves the filter. I never use the carbon that comes with it, and just fill it with black diamond carbon. I even use a Whisper 60 on my 130gal FO just to run carbon.

Dakota
06-09-2005, 05:05 PM
What are you talking about? The water gets pushed through the media on aquaclears. Granted you need to be concerned with it not getting clogged, hut I think they are more apt to accept the pre-bagged media out there (chemi-pure, Purigen, etc, etc).