PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know much about Urchins

jhkh_1979
06-07-2005, 10:31 PM
Looked at my tank before going to bed tonight aand at the tip of a tonga branch is what i'm pretty sure is an urchin,first time i've ever seen it and i haven't bought any rock in a while, anyone know much about these guys, if i should get rid of it or what, any help would be much appreciated
thanks

treylane
06-08-2005, 06:55 AM
Lots of different kinds of urchins. Most are just neat spikey balls that eat algae though. Post a pic?

socalkris29
06-08-2005, 08:17 PM
Back East, when I worked at the Univ., and had a collector's license, I had a few local urchins in a couple community tanks. They were fairly hardy and posed no problems other than they munched my coralline...

nitrogenbubbles
06-10-2005, 05:30 AM
not much, but thier roe is really good on rice. Oh and they will easily punch through any rubber sole dive booty, recommend using the felt soles.

chin_monster
06-10-2005, 07:29 AM
The hitch hiker ones are usually rock boring urchins. I've never had any major issues with them, they do sometimes knock things over, but it's not any worse than turbo snails.

The ones I've always got are solid black w/ a white ring around the base of each spine. They show up at less than dime size and seem grow to a 2 1/2" -3" diameter.

I've several adult ones that are 4+ years old that showed up years ago on LR and coral pieces and a couple little new ones -seems to be a seasonal thing.

I kinda like them.