PDA

View Full Version : What do you do for your stands?

Reefkeeper
06-06-2005, 10:29 PM
I'm curious as to what everyone uses as a stand for their tanks? I have in the past used the top of bedroom furniture, as it was built fairly well. I have also bought custom and premade stands.

I had one individual agree to sell me a tank and stand....when I got to his house to pick it up, the stand turned out to be an old TV cart.

I have seen several other people who all seem to have custom stands, although other people built the stands for them.

So what do you use? Did you buy it, have it made custom, or build it yourself?

Why am I asking....well, I need to get another stand for a small tank, 10g. I already built one which although functional is definitely not my best work. Its level and can probably support over 300lbs (tested with 270), but I didnt think of a few things when I built it and wish I could redo it. Such as the fact that the legs were sunk in to make it easier to build, which cuts down on the interior volume of the stand and makes it a little more wobbly than it should be.

Thus, I am trying to figure out what to do. I can just build another one for a little money. I can try to find a ready made stand or one someone is trying to unload. Hell, I am even thinking of hitting the local salvation army shop to see if they have a wrought iron stand or a piece of cheap sturdy furniture. Unfortunately, I dont have anyplace where I can easily just stick the tank. It seems odd to need a stand for a tank this small, but what can you do.

MrKrispy
06-06-2005, 10:53 PM
i had a custom cabinet built for my 20L. I ordered it from Custom Aquatic but it was built by Moore Cabinets. I waited 40 some minutes at OG to talk to Ron and left. I tried getting help at AW but it was really busy (instead of them just standing around like they used to). So I called CustomAquatic and placed the order. Great cabinet, I think Moore builds for all the lfs.

Not Jason Moore!

Dakota
06-06-2005, 10:56 PM
I used an old 1970's stereo cabinet for my 50 until just recently when I bought a Leemar stand. Good price, good quality. I really really wanted to build one, but didnt' have the resources. I just built a fram for a 180 (it's going to be a 72 x 24 x 12 prop system) but the stand is the same. I still need to put some uprights and re-enforce it since i won't be putting ply on it for a "skin" or doors. One day, down the road, when I upgrade to a 180 for my display, I'll finish it off.

In the last Year, Moore's Cabinets have kind lost some quality. I have a canopy from them from two and 1/2 years ago and it's great.... their current stuff.. not so great. and they jacked the prices up. Ron at OG stocks the Leemar and they are niiiiiiiiiice. Good prices, too.

brahm
06-06-2005, 11:05 PM
i got 1 stand, from VMA, 1 AW, 1 from Pet kingdom, and 1 from RON. hahah. (just relzied that now).. I like to spread my $$lovin$$ around.

socalcreations
06-06-2005, 11:29 PM
I get my stands and canopies from SoCal Creations. They are the best! They are so big and stong.. oh ok. Cheap plug. Damn, Moore Cabinets! Come on guys, their stuff is ok, but I can build much better quality for the same price or cheaper most the time. Ok sorry for the plug, just couldn't help myself!!

lucubrator
06-07-2005, 12:17 AM
Come on, don't say yours are only better than moore. Their quality has really declined lately. You should at least compare yourselves to Leemar.

Phischy
06-07-2005, 06:49 AM
My pop is a woodsmith in his spare time and he built my stand. I had to wait 9 months and he drove it out from Texas but damn...the only thing I would have done different is to make it 6 to 9" taller to have more room underneath since I drawers installed (which I really love). Hindsight is a *****.

socalcreations
06-07-2005, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by lucubrator
Come on, don't say yours are only better than moore. Their quality has really declined lately. You should at least compare yourselves to Leemar.

I have never seen a Leemar stand so I can't tell you what thier like, but I'm sure ours are just a good if not better.

Dakota
06-07-2005, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by socalcreations
I have never seen a Leemar stand so I can't tell you what thier like, but I'm sure ours are just a good if not better.

I've seen their stuff (Jason Moore's stand and canopy). Great stuff! If I wasn't so stupid and waited until 4 days before our move, I'd have bought one of theirs hands down :D

lucubrator
06-07-2005, 09:30 AM
Phishy- that's a great idea! If I weren't 70% done with my stand I'd try to incorporate drawers as well.

MrKrispy
06-07-2005, 10:26 AM
do any of the LFS keep some Moore cabinets in stock? I would like to see this lower quality. I am thinking about a custom tank in a few months and was going to have them build me another cabinet because the last one I got was very nice.

Phischy
06-07-2005, 10:40 AM
Another option if you just want to get quotes is to talk to any cabinet maker in the city. It'll be custom job but there's really not much difference in building on, we just need some 2x4's inside to support the weight, the hardest part to building a cabinet is the doors, everything is else just building a box. Add trim to make it fancier etc... Oh and drawers if you want something one off like mine. The canopy would be a different matter but if you had sketches and pictures of what you want they should be able to do it if they're competent.

sdwrx
06-07-2005, 10:47 AM
I built mine out of 2x4's & Birch plywood

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v154/sdgtivr6/DSCN0297.jpg

socalcreations
06-07-2005, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by MrKrispy
do any of the LFS keep some Moore cabinets in stock? I would like to see this lower quality. I am thinking about a custom tank in a few months and was going to have them build me another cabinet because the last one I got was very nice.

They're not that bad of a stand really, but for the same price or cheaper we can build a better quality stand than Moore Cabinets, plus you can have it customized. Just my opinion.

Oh, just want to see what LFS's charge down there for stands. We try to stay in line with this sites prices on stand and canopies (http://www.myfishtank.com/default.asp?a=stands&shape=48).