PDA

View Full Version : Maroon clown biting anemone tentacles

99sf
03-27-2010, 08:40 PM
I got a beautiful orange bubble tip anemone today. My 150 gallon tank has no other anemones, but has a very large maroon clownfish (came with the tank). Within minutes of adding the nem, the clown was pulling tentacles into her mouth. A couple of times, the tentacle's tips seem to have come off--I saw them in the clown's mouth. Is this normal behavior? Do I need to remove the anemone or clown? My internet search didn't reveal much information about this problem. Thanks in advance.

nahtanoj
03-27-2010, 09:39 PM
my old onyx pair used to hold onto the tentacles in their mouths at night while they slept. it kept them from blowing away in the current. i'm not sure if that is what your maroon is trying to do, but i thought i'd throw out that experience for you.

99sf
03-27-2010, 09:45 PM
Jonathan, thanks for sharing your experience. Your old pair of onyx clowns sounds very gentle. I turned off the powerheads when adding the anemone, so my maroon clown doesn't need to hold onto the tentacles to avoid the current. She has gotten way more aggressive in the few hours since adding the BTA. She patrols the area near her favorite scoly, then circles back near the nem (which has now crawled into a crevice), chasing away other fish. I think I need to catch the clown and banish her to the sump.

davocean
03-28-2010, 07:20 AM
They all rub or suck on tentacles, in fact it's one theory that they absorb stinging cells this way in order to be impervious to their sting.
Sometimes tents do get bit off in the process, no big deal.

SDguy
03-28-2010, 07:40 AM
How big is the nem? Large clowns like maroons have been known to "love" a smaller, new anemone to death. Maybe put a strawberry type basket over it until it setttles in?

99sf
03-28-2010, 12:33 PM
Dave & Peter, thanks for your thoughts. I put a fish catching net over the nem last night, but the clown moved it this morning. She seems to have calmed down today... not so many tentacle pieces dangling from her mouth. The anemone is about the size of the clown when fully extended. I hope the big girl does not love it to death.

davocean
03-28-2010, 02:14 PM
Ooh, yeah, it is best to have a nem 2-3x the size of your clown at min, I'd take peters advice on the strawberry basket if it continues.

99sf
03-28-2010, 05:43 PM
Time to eat some strawberries! My clown is so large, it would be hard to find a single anemone that is 2-3 times her size. She has become much more aggressive in the past 24 hours, chasing the chromis and the poor Clarkii clown around the tank. My attempts to catch her in a net have been unsuccessful so far.

davocean
03-29-2010, 06:21 AM
Ooch, you have a clarki in there w/ her, that might not work out.
Catching them at night when sleeping is easiest.