PDA

View Full Version : A little mad at Aquatic Warehouse!

DLCKWOOD
06-06-2005, 11:34 AM
Now dont get me wrong, but when a store tells me that 2 clowns in a little cubical are a pair and that a reefer just brought them in, I expect that I am buying a pair. Now by pair, I would think that the two fish that supposidly were brought in by someone else would get along in the same tank.

Am I asking too much of the fish store to not try and skrew me and sell me two newly introduced clownfish as a pair at a premium price?

If I went and said something to the owner about how I am very dissapointed that I was sold a pair of clowns that obviously is not will he do anything to try and make it right?

It just makes me mad that I was told they were a pair from a trade-in and that is obviously not the case.
David

Agent003
06-06-2005, 11:36 AM
The last time I went in they had about 4 "pairs" of clowns. The clowns were all the same size and obviously just placed in containers two by two and labeled pairs.

jwelch87
06-06-2005, 12:08 PM
David,
I do not usually get into endorsing companies that are not paying me, but I have had great experiences with AW. Yes, sometimes it takes them awhile to get to you but when I let someone know that I need help they are pretty quick to get to me. About the pairs, I was there over the weekend and noticed the large number of "pairs." I would go in and talk with the owner/manager and explain your problem. They have always helped me and taken things back with no problem (unlike other stores - Pet Kingdom) and given a full refund. Once again I am not endorsing any store, but I must tell you of my experiences.

supaboy1981
06-06-2005, 12:14 PM
Just becuase they were newly introduced doenst mean they cant pair up. Clowns can change sex and usually one will become a female if they are around each other for long. But then I am always wrong

Trickman2
06-06-2005, 12:38 PM
Yes I have seen them do this. Good news is they should become a Pair shortly. They put them together and sell them as a pair because they know eventually they will pair up. Where they a true pair to begin with probably not.

luistwentyone
06-06-2005, 01:07 PM
someone mentions AW, and first thing that comes to mind is "BIG BOOTY GIRL" !:D

onad75
06-06-2005, 01:23 PM
LOL

Dakota
06-06-2005, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by supaboy1981
Just becuase they were newly introduced doenst mean they cant pair up. Clowns can change sex and usually one will become a female if they are around each other for long. But then I am always wrong

This is very very true, but I think his point was that he was charged more because they were "paired up" and it was more of a guarantee that they were together, when in actuality, they were not.

singlefintj
06-06-2005, 08:28 PM
big booty!!!!!!! :D

socalkris29
06-06-2005, 08:50 PM
I understand what Dlckwood is saying. There is a big difference between "mated" or "bonded" pairs and a "pair" of fish. I recently bought a "pair" of perculas from AW, and the guy working there said that yes, they do indeed put 2 fish together and if they stop chasing around and fighting after a few minutes, they are deemed a "pair."

In fact, when looking for my pair, I actually saw a nicer, larger singleton, so the guy removed the smaller individual from one of those "pairs" and paired it up with the larger singleton. Didn't work. The larger fish would not let up. So he then removed the smaller individ. from another "pair" and that seemed to work better. Now, at home in my tank, they swim side by side and get along, but the female will not let the male sleep with her at night in the flowerpot (sounds like some married couples I know... ha ha). This would never be the case if you purchased a true, bonded pair.

Sometimes, people are looking for REAL pairs and the fact that pet stores are selling these 2 fish that have been paired up for at the most a few weeks, is somewhat false advertising. I have been looking for pairs for breeding purposes and if a store tells me that they are a pair, then I assume they are mated/bonded. I now know that this is not the case.

Dlckwood - like my percs, your fish more than likely will pair up. But I completely understand your frustration. Especially if you were looking for 2 fish that would do more than merely tolerate each other...

K

brahm
06-06-2005, 09:04 PM
i had a huge long thing written out, but.. i changed my mind.. I think what they are doing is pairing the fish up, thats how you do it. I think what you were looking for was currently SPAWNING fish, wich..your not going to find FOB @ AW.

lucubrator
06-06-2005, 09:11 PM
FOB?

Reefkeeper
06-06-2005, 09:49 PM
I assume by FOB he means Fresh Off the Boat. I.e. - newly collected animals arent going to have been in an area conducive to spawning behavior. Compared to a pair that has been nurtured and loved by another aquarist, fed all the right things, and all ready to go, the newer additions are probably in shock.

Frankly, depending on the species, some of them should be captive bred and be easier to get to breed.

brahm
06-06-2005, 11:03 PM
correct!

DLCKWOOD
06-07-2005, 10:42 AM
As some of you know, I am not new to clownfish and how they pair up, dance and finaly spawn. I am not so nieve to think that I was getting a spawning pair from AW but since I was told they were a pair from a customer all I expected was for them to at least tolerate one another. After two days in QT I have had to seperate the little one because he is just getting so beat up.
David

socalkris29
06-07-2005, 11:13 AM
Yeah, that definitely sucks. I'd take them back. That just doesn't seem right...

Agent003
06-07-2005, 01:54 PM
Call Turko.

chevell
06-10-2005, 04:08 PM
Ummm the same species of clown fish will pair up without someone sticking two of the same size together and selling them as a "pair" I actually have to agree with brahm on this one. Hard to believe it's possible for us to agree on something brahm but there is a first for everything I guess.

socalkris29
06-11-2005, 10:16 AM
From Fenner's site:

>>What the stores do is fine, they have a large turnover of fish, and when you put sufficient numbers there occurs something called "displacement of aggression". This means that, because there ARE so many fish in the tank, no ONE fish will receive the brunt of the aggression. Also, there's not much chance in most instances for territories to be established.<<

Also, I think the issue here is that AW told him they were an "established" pair from a hobbyist's tank -- not 2 singletons FOB or from ORA paired up at their store. So, the problem is that these fish were assumed to already be established in someone else's personal tank. If that indeed was the case, my only thought is maybe the new surroundings re-ignited the female's aggression.

Also, putting 2 clownfish (any 2 clownfish) of the SAME species and size together will almost never result in a pair. They need to DIFFER in size (unless they are juveniles and have not determined sex yet). And even then, that does not guarantee a pair. I have cultured clownfishes and experienced many deaths because just like people, fish have different personalities and decide for themselves whether or not to accept or subject to another fish.

:D

brahm
06-11-2005, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by socalkris29
From Fenner's site:

>>What the stores do is fine, they have a large turnover of fish, and when you put sufficient numbers there occurs something called "displacement of aggression". This means that, because there ARE so many fish in the tank, no ONE fish will receive the brunt of the aggression. Also, there's not much chance in most instances for territories to be established.<<

Also, I think the issue here is that AW told him they were an "established" pair from a hobbyist's tank -- not 2 singletons FOB or from ORA paired up at their store. So, the problem is that these fish were assumed to already be established in someone else's personal tank. If that indeed was the case, my only thought is maybe the new surroundings re-ignited the female's aggression.

Also, putting 2 clownfish (any 2 clownfish) of the SAME species and size together will almost never result in a pair. They need to DIFFER in size (unless they are juveniles and have not determined sex yet). And even then, that does not guarantee a pair. I have cultured clownfishes and experienced many deaths because just like people, fish have different personalities and decide for themselves whether or not to accept or subject to another fish.

:D

If they are juivenelles they will pair up. One will just get bigger.

fier138
06-14-2005, 09:33 PM
I got 2 percs from petco about 5 months agao, and recently had one die. I picked up another one from petco (this one is much smaller) and my older and much bigger took one nip at him and that was is it. They are best friends now.

luistwentyone
06-15-2005, 09:18 AM
geez..............I love big booty girl.................................:(