PDA

View Full Version : Camel Cowfish has Popeye

sdmasseuse
03-22-2010, 08:58 AM
I just bought my fish not even 3 days ago and woke up yesterday and saw my fish has one eye that is popped out. I started treatment with Epsom salt and Melafix but I don't know if the popeye is from an injury or infection. I read online that most of the cases if it's just one eye then it's from a injury but today the one eye looks worse and he showed interest in food but didn't eat anything :( Is Melafix even really good for Popeye? Should I be treating him with Maracyn instead? Thanks in advance!

jrod11
03-22-2010, 09:02 AM
Get some garlic soaking medication. it will also entice him to eat.

sdmasseuse
03-22-2010, 02:07 PM
Never mind he died :( He must have had something else wrong with him

seahorse_man
03-22-2010, 02:41 PM
Sorry to hear, just make sure if you already didn't to remove him from your tank as they are toxic and he MIGHT mess with your water chemistry and/or have a negative effect on something.

sdmasseuse
03-22-2010, 02:51 PM
I had him in a hospital tank so he didn't do any damage to my reef tank. I would love to get another one but I'm not sure if they are worth it if it might wipe out my reef tank.

Sorry to hear, just make sure if you already didn't to remove him from your tank as they are toxic and he MIGHT mess with your water chemistry and/or have a negative effect on something.

seahorse_man
03-22-2010, 03:00 PM
I had him in a hospital tank so he didn't do any damage to my reef tank. I would love to get another one but I'm not sure if they are worth it if it might wipe out my reef tank.

I would not get one for a reef tank, toxicity aside they aren't the most reef safe fish you are going to find and can nibble at coral.

sdmasseuse
03-22-2010, 04:04 PM
I bought him from Pet Kingdom and they have a small one in one of their mini reef tank and the guy that sold it to me said he would be fine in reef tanks but warned me about the toxicity of the fish if it were to get upset or die in the tank. They are such a cute fish I wish I could find a fish like the boxfish without the toxic issues.

I would not get one for a reef tank, toxicity aside they aren't the most reef safe fish you are going to find and can nibble at coral.