PDA

View Full Version : DIY Live Rock?

Triggler
03-18-2010, 04:20 PM
I'm thinking about setting up a FOWLR and the only thing keeping me back right now is the cost of LR. I heard that there are recipes on making your own cheap DIY LR and saw some pics and vids on them and the fake rock looks almost identical to real rock! Especially when covered with Coraline!

Just wondering if anyone here has made their own LR and how they did it? Or any tips or hints from people?

RussM
03-18-2010, 05:06 PM
I have; I know Bogg has as well. It takes practice to get the mix just right... it's very easy to get heavy, dense pieces, but making good ones is a trial & error process.

The biggest drawback is the need to cure them for several weeks with frequent water changes.

While I would do it again if there was a specific custom piece I wanted, I don't think it is worth the time & effort for basic LR.

Look for LR from a tank breakdown... usually decent buys there.

Techknowledgy
03-18-2010, 07:31 PM
+1 Russ. It is a LOT of work, and trial and error to get it right. You can buy cheap LR here right now. I saw a buck a pound here today.

SoCalBoo
03-20-2010, 07:48 AM
I've done it too. A lot of work. If you do it, let me know - I have a bunch of left over stuff (cement, crushed oyster shell) I'll swap you for a frag or two.

If you do it, really pay attention to ph of rinse water...the cement will drive your ph way up, and you'll know when your rock is ready when the ph returns to low 8s.

Bogg
03-20-2010, 01:32 PM
http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31877&highlight=aragocrete