PDA

View Full Version : Quarantine tanks

Reefkeeper
06-01-2005, 02:49 PM
For those who run quarantine tanks, do you keep them up and running all the time or set them up as needed? I have in the past kept them always up and going, with 1 exception. That time, I took water from the established tank while doing a water change and just set it up when I needed it. As I saw it, the downside was the lack of a proper cycling in that tank.

Thanks.

gilligan
06-03-2005, 06:14 AM
i clean it out after use and then set it up as needed i have no problems with it

Limbo
06-03-2005, 08:12 AM
You don't have to have it set up all the time. Just throw a small sponge or some other filter material in your main display sump...(small enough to not effect your nitrate level).....then when you are ready to set up your quarantine tank, throw the sponge in.

Voila....instant bacterial filtration.

As long as you are not QT a huge bioload, the sponge should be enough to take care of your Amm & Trite.

Jim

DLCKWOOD
06-03-2005, 11:56 AM
I just take 5 gallons of water out of my main system and go from there. I also do a 25% water change every day to keep the fish happy and healthy.
David

DLCKWOOD
06-03-2005, 12:20 PM
Its the only way to go when you are worried about losing hundreds of dollars in fish.
IMHO it would just be irresponsible not to QT a fish that possibly has a chance to make it. For me, no matter how good the pair looks that I bought they go strait to their own QT. I only deal in clowns though so Im not sure about other fish.
David

Reefkeeper
06-03-2005, 01:38 PM
The problem is I dont have a sump on this system. Seemed a bit overkill to go for a sump on a mini system. Then it cracked and I put a bigger tank in its stead, but on the same stand.

Thus, I cant place a sponge filter in the sump...nor a damn protein skimmer which is what is really killing me. If I had the ability to redo the stand, I would have figured out the smallest premade sump and built it around that.

Limbo
06-03-2005, 02:34 PM
LOL,

I think Chap is pulling all yer legs....he is one of the most loyal quarantine disciples......

...he can, however, be tempted by the dark side.....how's that Anthia doing J ?

>; )

Jim