PDA

View Full Version : MH vs. VHO

brncsfns5621
05-31-2005, 05:43 PM
OK, I have switched over to PC on my 100g and understand that I should be using a stronger light. I see that there are MANY types of lighting out there and people use all of them. What is the difference between MH and VHO? I could probably research this, but I thought I would go straight to the experts. :D Which type should I be using? And finally... is anyone selling the type I need?

swissfish
05-31-2005, 09:00 PM
vho's run cooler, mh's penetrate deeper.

might be selling my dual 250w set up, once i make up my mind.

brncsfns5621
05-31-2005, 09:46 PM
Hit me up when you decide. I need two for my tank (acrylic with two cut outs...)

shmitr
05-31-2005, 09:47 PM
Depends on what you want to keep. If you want to stick with softies, certain LPS, etc. PC or VHO is fine...better even. Like swissfish mentioned PC and VHO are cooler and also use less energy.

However, if you're looking at getting new lighting anyways, might as well get MH now as inevitably in the future you'll want that cool Acro or clam, then you'll really appreciate having them. The shimmer effect on the water is cool to :)

Oh yeah, judging from the pics of your tank in another thread, you'll want to make sure you have enough room for the MH in your hood as they require more verticle space. If you don't have room for MH and want to keep the existing hood, check out T-5 bulbs...cool, less energy and will support high light critters like SPS.

obarrera
05-31-2005, 11:30 PM
im selling a T5 fixture($270.00), but it's only 36" long(156w).
Looks bright though, just incase you're intrested.

pisces
06-01-2005, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by shmitr
If you don't have room for MH and want to keep the existing hood, check out T-5 bulbs...cool, less energy and will support high light critters like SPS.

In my experience, T5's do not provide enough lighting for SPS to thrive. I have 4x39 T5's with individual SLS reflectors over my 50g, but have not been able to keep SPS corals happy with this setup. I keep my few SPS in a different tank under MH where they are much happier. On the other hand, my softies and LPS are growing like crazy under the T5's. And, as you mention, the T5's run much cooler and use less energy.