PDA

View Full Version : questions about ich

Boomer420
05-29-2005, 02:22 PM
I have had my 75 gallon tank for about 5 months but recently had
a couple of fish die because of ich. My questions are with frequent water changes will that get rid of the parasite in the water or are their things i can put in the water. I do have corals in the tank. IT seems that all of my fish got it exept my watchmangoby and lawnmower blenny is their any reason for this. I change my water weekly from the scripps pier source and can not figure out why new fish are constantly geetting the ich while my corals and fish do fine. any help on this topic would be greatly appreciated thank you.

wrx777
05-29-2005, 02:54 PM
hyposalinity in a QT tank. I've tried the "reef safe" stuff that you can just add into the tank it it seemed to do nothing except make the water smell gross. Even with that stuff, I had 2 fish die(they seemed to be better BEFORE I added the solution). I am going to take everyone's previous advice to set up a quarantine tank now.

The ich parisite won't go away in your tank unless you break it's life cycle. From my understanding, you basically have to get all of your fish out of the display tank and into a quarantine tank where you perform a hyposalinity over about 4 weeks to get rid of it in the fish, and in the meantime the ich in the display tank has no host fish so will eventually die off.

Your fish probably already have the parasite but their immune system is keeping them healthy, and the new fish are getting it in advanced stages because of stress. Ich seems to break out when stress comes into play. Corals are not affected by ich.

Do some searches for Ich on google. There should be detailed info on how to set up a QT tank and do the hypo to get rid of ich. sorry if this info sounds too brief, I'm just giving a little rundown of what I have learned from reading on these boards. :) I'm sure more people will chime up and help you out.

heck, you can do a search on this site for ich and find the old posts with lots of info. good luck!

hidden impact
05-30-2005, 08:42 AM
great info...i've also used garlic in combination with my daily feeding for a few weeks and my clown seemed to shake the ich right off.

FYI...