PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have experiences with Current USA Orbit fixtures

Reefkeeper
05-27-2005, 11:00 PM
Anyone have experiences with the CurrentUSA Orbit fixtures? Obviously the stores will all say that its the best thing since sliced bread, so I am trying to find out what people really think about the quality of the unit.

I have been thinking of getting the 20" Current USA Orbit fixture. It has the 2x 40 Watt PCs (1 dual actinic and 1 dual daylight) plus the moonlite.

Is there any other brand that would be a better buy, in terms of what you get for the money plus quality?

Thanks.

colindoug3
05-27-2005, 11:29 PM
ive got a satellite fixture by this company. i really liked their bulbs. just replaced them though. the fan is a bit noisy. the moonlight was alright, but it went out. could be from water/salt/evap since i didnt have glass between water and fixture. i ordered from marine depot. the company is here in vista, and i delt with them after i had the fixture. good people. whats so great about it, best thing since sliced bread... i think they just want to sell a pricey unit. i paid the same price for 130watts of pc lighting as i did with 175 in MH. i wish i would have just started in the right place. am i on a tangent?

Reefkeeper
05-27-2005, 11:48 PM
The stores seem to like its "european" design and extol the virtues of an all inclusive unit. Frankly, it seems to be a nice looking fixture but I wondered whether it was worth the cost or if I would be better off with another brand.

In this instance, since its only a 20" tank, I need to go with either PCs or T5's. Although halides would be nice, I dont want to see my electic bill jump $20/mo. which is why I havent given them much thought.

Agent003
05-28-2005, 08:20 PM
I have used both the Orbit and the Satellite fixtures. There really is no difference between the two except that with the orbit you get an extra moonlight, a bigger fan, and a curved shape. I actually prefer the cheaper Satellite.

Definately order online to save on cost if you are getting one. I have no problem with Acros with these PCs, but I keep them about 3 inches from the surface.

colindoug3
05-29-2005, 01:26 PM
check out marinedepot.com, thats where i got my fixture. it came UPS ground quickly. they are located in OC or LA, so even ground seemed like NDA or 2DA. if you decide to go with the satellite over the orbit... i think mine was 140-150. at the time i bought a few extra things to get free shipping. and i think i called them as well. good customer service.