PDA

View Full Version : Tank Info?

brncsfns5621
05-27-2005, 10:27 AM
OK, finally getting rid of the wet/dry filter and going to a sump/fuge. I have the sump and fuge set up under the tank, but still have the overflow box feeding that. I would like to drill the tank in the back (one at each end) for the inlet and outlet. What size PVC and bulkheads should I use as well as what size pump? Running a 100g acrylic reef. Fuge has a 400g/hr on it but I have noticed it is nt enough as I have algae and red slime all over it.
Also, was looking at a manifold, but what does this do for me? Could I just use powerheads? Info is definelty appreciated. :D

M. Parkis
05-27-2005, 10:44 AM
I like drilling two drains one at each end of the tank. I drill two 2.5 inch holes, which accommodate 1.5 inch bulkhead fittings, and plumb them together. Then I use an over the top return. This way all of the surface is skimmed and I can manipulate the return a little if needed. E-mail me if you need Bulkhead fittings…

brncsfns5621
05-27-2005, 11:17 AM
Then I use an over the top return

Can you explain this?

brynboy
05-27-2005, 11:43 AM
i think what he's trying to say is that the two holes drain into the sump. then for the return the pipe comes up and over the top of the rim.

on a side note....is it a problem if i was to use one side for return and one side for drain? i realize that skimming will have to wait until the water reaches the drain end, but other than that would there be any problems?

also is there a standard pump size to use when using a 1 1/2" drain? or does drain just become dependent on how fast the pump is returning water? i'm guessing a faster pump would be better so that i can contrl flow using a ball valve.

sorry to hijack your thread dave, but i figured you could use this info as well.

brncsfns5621
05-27-2005, 07:53 PM
No problem as you are right... I didn't think about any of that. I was planning on the one side being the drain and the other being the return. I was looking at a manifold return as well so the jets cover the length of the tank.

SDMike
05-28-2005, 10:36 AM
There's ALL KINDS of things to do... Were it me, I'd look at building/buying a pair of boxes to put around the holes in the back of the tank and making "outside the tank" dursos.

Upside down elbow inside the tank, the rest is outside. My 90 elbows turned up toward the surface gurgle something fierce. With the tank in the LR, watching TV is tough.

OR build a trough across the entire back of the tank and have it skim the whole width of water...

OR build an outside overflow...

Or...

M

swissfish
05-28-2005, 04:33 PM
as for the return i would use a closed loop system with a couple of hydor flo attachements. and is you have a big enough pump in your sump you'll not need any power heads in your tank;)

lucubrator
05-28-2005, 06:41 PM
If you're talking about these (http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=HD01401&ast=&key=) I have one that I've been trying to get rid of.

brncsfns5621
05-28-2005, 06:59 PM
sdmike.... great advice as I have thought about the 90 degree elbows, but decided not to because of the noise. The rest of what you said was greek to me!!! What is a durso? :D