PDA

View Full Version : Re-Silicone Tank Corners

eugreef
02-09-2010, 01:00 PM
I found this thread (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1776537&highlight=silicone+corners) and I want to do the same thing. But I just got back from the LFS to get some silicone. One of the guys there who knows his stuff told me that I should NEVER re-silicone a tank. He told me that it would be better to buy a new tank than to deal with re-siliconing the corners and deal with the possibility of the seams wearing out and busting the tank open. I told him that I just wanted to do the corners and not the seams. He said that is worse, bec new silicone is going on top of old.

I got the tank used and noticed that some of the silicone was wearing off of the glass. So thats why I want to just re-silicone the corners. NOT the seams but all of the 90 degree corners. I will have to use a razor blade to take off the existing silicone. But I plan on doing all the corners (bottom four and vertical four).

Do I have anything to worry about if I go ahead and re-silicone the corners? Should I just get a new tank? Thanks!

kashbrook
05-15-2010, 01:22 PM
I have the same issue with a tall 75G that was given to me. It was filled 1/2 way and didn't leak, but I transported it to El Centro from San Diego so who knows. I want to re-bead silicon around the entire inside of the tank to prevent any leaks.

RussM
05-16-2010, 07:11 AM
You were told correctly... new silicone does not adhere well to cured silicone.

Cutting out the inside surface silicone can significantly weaken the tank.

The 'right' way to reseal a tank and whether it is worth the effort depends on the value of the tank itself, the condition of the existing silicone, and more. Overall, IME, the best thing to do is replace the tank, or totally disassemble and reassemble the tank with 100% new silicone.