PDA

View Full Version : tank crash?

ricestudios
05-25-2005, 08:00 AM
this morning at work when i walked in my office i saw my fish tank and it was all closed up. but the corals where spitting brown stuff. whats going on? everything is closed. but the fish are still alive?

http://www.ricestudios.com/tank/may05/1.jpg

http://www.ricestudios.com/tank/may05/2.jpg

http://www.ricestudios.com/tank/may05/3.jpg

mojoreason
05-25-2005, 08:08 AM
have you run a quick water change yet?

ricestudios
05-25-2005, 08:35 AM
well i changed my water yesterday with fresh made water using instant ocean. i changed out the filter inserts with new ones. (aquaclear) and then cleaned the glass. the next morning it was all sad. so i did another water change.

pk-sd
05-25-2005, 09:51 AM
Well at least you cannot blame it on Scripps water.

Maybe be one of your corals died and its effecting everything else. How about running some carbon in your AC.

Have you always used instant ocean or did you switch brands?

Good luck !!!

ricestudios
05-25-2005, 09:58 AM
i always run carbon and always use instant ocean.

MrKrispy
05-25-2005, 10:03 AM
how have your tank temps been? Try putting some polyfilter in there and see what colors you get. (not polyfloss!)

M. Parkis
05-25-2005, 10:22 AM
Check your PH. I had a tank over heat 3 weeks ago. The PH crashed and I lost all the soft corals.

ricestudios
05-25-2005, 10:24 AM
ya i need to get a test kit in here. the temp is cooled because of the aircon.

MonsterC
05-25-2005, 01:04 PM
Did you let your made up water sit or added it directly after making?Id let it sit and make sure the PH and temp. are same as tank to avoid problems.That was always my practice!!!

ricestudios
05-25-2005, 01:09 PM
ya i let it sit of course i let it sit.

swissfish
05-25-2005, 06:19 PM
are you sure you mixed right?
strange that it hapened after the water change.
Do you have a cleaning sevice at your work who might have cleaned the glass?

dbrooks
05-25-2005, 06:24 PM
use scripps water - the elixer of life! I have a big tank at home and a small tank at work. EVERYONE loves the scripps water!

mojoreason
05-26-2005, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by ricestudios
well i changed my water yesterday with fresh made water using instant ocean. i changed out the filter inserts with new ones. (aquaclear) and then cleaned the glass. the next morning it was all sad. so i did another water change.

whoa ... okay - - you could've over did it there. i was always told that if you change out the water - run it through the filter inserts before changing them (like a day, or even half a day) ... and this is a smaller tank, right? or change out the filters and then do the water (if it's at work, you could change out the filters in the morning and make the water - - then when you leave add the water).

anyway - - that sucks. i think you may have totally whacked out the levels and then in the readjustment buzzed 'em out a bit.

Phischy
05-26-2005, 08:53 AM
Maybe a janitor/cleaner person came though and got some sort of solvent too close to your tank?

ricestudios
05-26-2005, 08:59 AM
ok the tank its doing better now. the zoas are reopening but some are fried. the shrooms and frogspawn are filling back slowly. the kenya tree is totally white still and seems to be slowly coming back to life. but the gsp is all closed. hasnt showed life at all yet. fish are doing fine and my aptasia rock, ya i need a peperment. ill take more pics later. i still think it was the combo of filter change and water change.

BrookR1
05-26-2005, 09:46 AM
It sounds like allelopathy. Softies/leathers and LPS love throwing chemical grenades at each other. Definitely switch out the carbon once per day and keep up with the water changes.