PDA

View Full Version : External pump recommendations?

socalkris29
05-24-2005, 09:14 PM
I'm setting up a multi-tank system w/up to ~250 gal. of water. What type of external pump would you recommend for this volume with about 8 ft. of head?

Went to wetwebmedia.com and found a lot of conflicting advice (even from the same person sometimes). This site (wwm) is great, but I'd like to get your guys' take on external pumps. Energy efficiency, sound and amount of heat radiated is somewhat more important than cost. That is, I would much rather invest some $$ and get a good pump that will last a long time, but that is energy efficient and quiet and won't lead to my needing a chiller in the summer...

Have heard good things about Iwakis -- but are they energy efficient? Little Giants are cheaper, but I've heard they aren't as reliable. Supreme Mag Drives - also have heard good things, but I think they're submersible -- which isn't a huge problem as long as they won't heat my water.

Thanks in advance for any advice/recommendations.

Kristin

socalcreations
05-24-2005, 09:25 PM
What about a sequence. I have used them in the past and they are extremely quiet, and fairly energy effecient. We have a new 3200 that we are about to fire up on our 225 gallon tank with approx. 275-300 total water volume. Haven't heard a bad thing about them. HTH.

obarrera
05-24-2005, 09:41 PM
Socalcreations, how many watts is the sequence 3200?

lucubrator
05-24-2005, 10:04 PM
professor google says:
Ave. Amps/ Watts @115V: 1.7A/195W

corb66
05-24-2005, 10:36 PM
We are using a Mag9.5 (external) and I swear it raises my tank temp 3 deg.

FishProf
05-25-2005, 09:20 AM
Hand down - sequence [or better - RK2, they are in Escondido, and their volute is better designed]. Quiet, low wattage, pushes tons of water [but low pressure].

FP

MonsterC
05-25-2005, 01:00 PM
Definately a Rk2 or Sequence Ampmaster.They draw the lowest Amps at a reasonable price.Check out Aquatic Eco-Systems, they have them listed and a breakdown on all so you can get the perfect pump.Head Pressure Footage and How many times you want your system turned over every hour times 250Gallons and your set.If you want an Iwaki let me know.I have a New 100 in the box.Make a good offer its yours!!!

FishProf
05-25-2005, 01:04 PM
RK2 & Sequence - yes
Ampmaster - NO [history of leaking - search ReefCentral.com].

RK2 is local, and they are really good people. If you contact them, be nice to them, because their market is not really the individual reefer. They mostly sell HUGE skimmers [6' tall and up, 3' diameter +] to public aquariums.

FP

socalkris29
06-01-2005, 09:37 PM
Just wanted to say thanks for all the info and suggestions. I went ahead and bought a supreme mag drive. Not the best -- but I'll probably upgrade later anyway.

Thanks again!