PDA

View Full Version : Algae

ilikualot
05-24-2005, 11:28 AM
I am having hair algae everywhere. I asked at the LFS for some suggestions and they had me buy a blenny. I got a Star Blenny. He is really cool but does not seem to be interested int eh hair algae. In fact when I feed the fish Mysis he goes crazy for them. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Also could a Blenny be killing my fish. I have had a manadarin goby and a skunk shrimp pass in the last week. I think the Goby just got sucked in by my pump, but it could be.

Reefkeeper
05-24-2005, 11:37 AM
Although I am not familar with that particular blenny, I do not think he should be causing an issue.

How established is your tank? Mandarins have very specific feeding parameters that many people are not able to meet. Many times the fish will just waste away and finally die from starvation. As for the shrimp, dont know what to say.

What other animals do you have in your tank? Is it FOWLR or a full reef set up? Do you have crabs or other cleanup crew type animals in your tank?

If you dont have hermits, why didnt you consider going with small blue legs or scarlets to try and help with the algae?

ilikualot
05-24-2005, 11:55 AM
I have had the tank now for around 10 months. I put the Goby in there about a month and a half ago. He looked to be doing really good. He never got skinny or anything looked like that. I just came home from a weekend gone and he had gotten suked up. I did not have a filter on the intake to keep things from getting stuck. Countless snails had gotten stuck, but I waited until i lost my Goby. It is all fixed now.

I have a full reef setup. 39 Gal I currently have around five hermits and 6 snails. I believe my hermits are red-legged.

Dannyboy
05-24-2005, 12:42 PM
What is a Star Blenny? What LFS told you it will eat algae? Was the mandarin really skinny when it died? I think you could use ALOT more hermits and snails than you currently have, especially if you have an algae problem. I would say at leat 20 more of each to start.

pk-sd
05-24-2005, 01:01 PM
You can also try using Phosban (http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=TL4111) . Work really well. And how old are you lights ? Anything older than 9 months can cause hair algae.

ilikualot
05-24-2005, 01:39 PM
DannyBoy
AW sold me the star Blenny and he really is cool. Kind of a reddish greyish color. I am a high school teacher and your little picture just got me in trouble with my students;) I will have to check my messages at home from now on. I will get some more crabs and snails. I had no idea i needed that many. Thanks for your help i love this site. Teh mandarin was not skinny at all. It looked like he was doing really good. I think he may have just got sucked up.

pk-sd
My light is 9 months old so that could be the problem. I thought that might be it but I was hoping to have it be a cheaper fix.

Thanks for your guys help I will buy a new light today and see what happens.

Reefkeeper
05-24-2005, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by ilikualot
I have had the tank now for around 10 months. I put the Goby in there about a month and a half ago. He looked to be doing really good. He never got skinny or anything looked like that. I just came home from a weekend gone and he had gotten suked up. I did not have a filter on the intake to keep things from getting stuck. Countless snails had gotten stuck, but I waited until i lost my Goby. It is all fixed now.

I have a full reef setup. 39 Gal I currently have around five hermits and 6 snails. I believe my hermits are red-legged.

Definitely need a larger clean up crew, I would suggest going with 1 small hermit per 2 gallons of water. You could probably use more snails as well. I would suggest using a range of different species of both as they tend to focus on different things. (Nassarius, zebra snails, turbos, etc.)

Dannyboy
05-24-2005, 01:58 PM
I am a high school teacher and your little picture just got me in trouble with my students haha sorry. You should have seen my avatar before this one! Just turn off avatars in the userscp-->edit options-->and then select No in the "Show user's avatar in their posts?". I'm not the only one with half naked chicks:D . Anyway first off change the light. Thats probably why you started getting the algae bloom after all that time. Good call Pk

ilikualot
05-24-2005, 08:33 PM
Thanks guys I put in a new light today. I put in another 65 watt compact bulb. Half white half blue. The new light seems to be less bright than the last one. Is that normal?

I also bought 10 more hermits and they went right to work cutting down the algae. Thanks again for allyour help.

pk-sd
05-24-2005, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by ilikualot
Thanks guys I put in a new light today. I put in another 65 watt compact bulb. Half white half blue. The new light seems to be less bright than the last one. Is that normal?

I also bought 10 more hermits and they went right to work cutting down the algae. Thanks again for allyour help.

If the color temperature of the bulb is the same as old one (10K/actinic) its should appear brighter. 65k bulbs tend to seem less brighter to human eyes.

What did you buy?

btw, what subject do you teach at school ?

pk-sd
05-24-2005, 08:55 PM
Also do not just add more light. You have to remove older light bulbs as the light spectrum changes to more red wavelength with age and that encourages algae growth.

ilikualot
05-24-2005, 09:01 PM
All I bought was 65w 10,000k actinic/sq bulb that looks exactly like my old one.

i did not add more light, I just changed the bulb.

I teach high school math.

socalkris29
05-24-2005, 09:05 PM
I used to have lots of nasty hair algae. Tried controlling it with fish/hermits/snails -- but ultimately, the solution for my tank was raising the alkalinity using kalkwasser or reefbuilder. It hasn't come back since.

:D
Kristin

zx11rider
05-25-2005, 04:30 PM
I had the same problem. I was scrubbing the rocks with a toothbrush at least once a month. Thought it was my lighting, so I turned that way down. Then I realized my alk was way way low. Starting dosing daily with Calxmax part B, and everything cleared up within a few weeks.

GeeOh
05-27-2005, 12:22 AM
You had concerns of a fish compatibility issue as well if I remember correctly. This site shows compatibility.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/general/compatibility_chart.cfm

Please remember that this is a reference chart and not 100% correct. Tank size can also play an important factor and sometimes fish just don't get along not matter what. I had a firefish and a goby who couldn't get along because of space. (10g) tank. The goby eventually took a big enough chunk out of the firefish that the firefish died.