PDA

View Full Version : Seahorse color change?

sonnybihis
05-21-2005, 10:10 PM
I bought a seahorse a couple of weeks ago. When I bought it is was a pale yellow color. Now it is dark brown, with only the underside remaining somewhat similar to how I bought it. So my (stupid) question is, do seahorses normally change color? Could it be algae growth, or maybe a suntan (LOL)? My Seahorses issue of Coral magazine doesn't talk a whole about keeping seahorses, especially in this regard. I know there are some seahorse people out there, please let me know. Thanks!

wrx777
05-22-2005, 04:39 AM
check out these sites, lots of info on seahorses... I think I had read somewhere on there that they can change colors...

seahorse.org (http://www.seahorse.org)

syngathid.org (http://www.syngnathid.org/)

nice day :D

m_tyson
05-22-2005, 07:13 AM
yes, seahorses can and frequently do change color depending on their mood and environment. if your water conditions, current, and feeding are fine, try adding a playmate to brighten up yours.

brahm
05-22-2005, 12:48 PM
Seahorses, usally take some time to change colour they adapt to there inverorment.. If you want it to stay yellow you have to put yellow in the tank.

Dannyboy
05-23-2005, 06:16 AM
Is this in the same reef tank with 2 tangs? The 20gal? seahorses will not do good with fast moving fish that are aggressive and can get to the food first. They also dont really do that good in a full reef tank as there are corals that can hurt or sting them. Seahorses need to be in a tank that is dedicated to their needs. BTW what species is it?

sonnybihis
05-23-2005, 08:14 AM
nah, it's in it's own tank. i don't know what species it is, i forgot to ask. i'll see if i can find out. thanks everyone!

Dannyboy
05-23-2005, 08:28 AM
The way I got mine to color up alot was adding cualerpa prolifa. It has long blades(like long grass) that they can hitch on and hide in too. Mine were completely black when I got them and now are really bright yellow. Also it would be better if you added another one. Seahorses love the company of their own kind. I have 5 now and they are always hanging out together. If you want any cualerpa let me know, I got plenty and it grows fast since you have to feed 2-3 times a day.

sonnybihis
05-23-2005, 08:30 AM
yeah, i'm probably gonna go out and get another one today. i'll be sure to ask the species too. thanks for the tip! now i just need to find some calupera. anyone?

Dannyboy
05-23-2005, 08:41 AM
Yeah I have plenty, let me know when you want to pick some up.